Bolwell (I think I want one)

They were a car ahead of their time I think.

BOLWELL's  were made by a fibreglass company (they still exist here in Mordialloc/Braeside)

The only problems that I can recall was that the fibreglass body caused a few little dramas with the doors, rear hatch and bonnet not fitting all that well after the car got a bit older in the tooth.    Although I may be thinking more of the NAGARI (aboriginal name I think) which was a later model than the V11 Kit car.

With the air and water getting in through the doors.  

Otherwise I think they were a pretty good jigger, and if this one has been restored I am thinking if it had that problem it should be ok now. 

I'd love to have one in the garage, power to weight....YAHOO......

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_bolwell_mk7

Have always loved Bolwells - what a very cool car they were. That car looks great except for the wheels, they are a little too much for my taste. Australia built some cool fibreglass cars in the day. 

Cool factoid - I had a Metalwork/woodwork teacher in high school; his name was Mr Bolwell and he drove a Purvis Eureka! No shit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purvis_Eureka

The rear quarter window on that car looks wrong. Hood scoop is the wrong one. From memory the rear didn't have a lift up hatch.

Mate had a a Mk 4 (ugly little sh!t but went well - 4 cyl in the rear) and a 202 Holden MkVII Now that was a car. Bloody quick, handled like it was on ice and had severe wheelspin/ traction issues from a standing start. Bloody good fun.

12 hours ago, Ozvino said:

Have always loved Bolwells - what a very cool car they were. That car looks great except for the wheels, they are a little too much for my taste. Australia built some cool fibreglass cars in the day. 

Cool factoid - I had a Metalwork/woodwork teacher in high school; his name was Mr Bolwell and he drove a Purvis Eureka! No shit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purvis_Eureka

I think I would of preferred to be Mr Eureka driving and Bolwell 

15 hours ago, LeeM said:

That would be loadsa fun! Have always liked them, yet those rims would have to be replaced with something more period correct 

Those Dragway wheels are awful disliked them in the 70's and 80's still dislike them!

I have had some experience with Nagaris and owned a late model  ( complete with factory 351  2v Clevo ) coupe a few years back.

As mentioned they have a good power/weight ratio ( mine was 1100kg / circa 250hp )

They look great but have a few downsides....very basic unsorted suspension with handling compromises.The interior is not well ventilated for a hot climate ( read QLD ) Some parts now becoming hard to source.

However a neat Australian Sports Car that turns heads.

• 2 weeks later...

similar vintage to a TVR Vixen, 

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/tvr/classics/tvr-vixen-lightweight-1968/5955279

As a kid, growing up in Canada, I remember seeing the odd TVR very occasionally, the hot one would have a rev happy german V6 from a Capri 

Allways thought that would be a cool car to have, when I was 15.

But knowing what I do now about Brit cars from that era, I'll stick to an old P car.

You don't see many TVRs' come up for sale in this hemisphere. 

Your buying some Australian history that just happens to look good at the same time.

I’ve met Campbell Bolwell at his factory in Melbourne.  He went into making Kenwood truck cabs IIRC.

He still had the molds back then, but that was going back a while.

He also released a 4 cyl car in the 80s but it never took off.

Not that long ago he was playing around with a mid engine V6 Camry powered supercar for Oz , very much like the new Lotus Exige ,,,dont now what happened to that just saw an article about it online ...

Archived