New headlights for 70’s 911

Mike 66

Hi All

I am trying to understand what the difference is between lhd and rhd headlight setups. I have read that some UK models have a lever at the back to change the angle so they can drive on the euro roads. Are all the assembly buckets the same lhd/rhd and just the actual globe setup is different? So I could buy a repo headlight assembly from the US and by the globe assembly locally or how is anyone else doing this? I need the H4 setup but original setups are $1200+ I hear any other options?

Or I just buy an older original set? From the UK as I don’t see them in oz?

Thanks and much appreciate the feedback

4 minutes ago, turboT said:

nothing (i think). Difference is the lenses. I have had to change all my LHD cars to RHD lenses. Weirdly swapped out out a set today

IMG_6995_zpsb1hlio1l.jpg

Are yellow lenses legal? 

5 minutes ago, clutch-monkey said:

i actually just had a yellow set of lenses arrive from EB motorsport. where are yours from turbot?

hugh legal or not no one cares about them it seems. have run them for 7 years driving across the country, never an issue

Germany - late night ebay purchase 

7 minutes ago, hugh said:

Are yellow lenses legal? 

Im an OTLW hugh..

Most GD Police wouldn't have the first clue re legality of lens colours & would probably be too busy to care.  The Traffic Branch contain certain zealots that know this stuff but you'd be very unlucky to run across one.  The real kicker would be if you came across a Department of Transport Vehicle Compliance Officer or needed the vehicle inspected for some reason.  Then you may have some issues- (fine & rectification notice).  Of course you could just pay the fine change the lights, have it inspected & passed then go home & change them back.  Unless you live in a smallish community you're unlucky to see the same Monkey twice.  Ahhh the Po Po, even I find some of them (lots of them) a pain in the arse................   

I'm a bit late to this party, but I had to get a set of H4s for my US car when I got it here. Suncoast Porsche in the US had the best price bar none, two complete units with bulbs for USD$660 plus shipping. Those had LHD lenses of course, but I had a set of RHD lenses that I got from porscheshop.co.uk. All told this was hundreds less than the best price I could find domestically. Swapping over the lenses was a bit of a pain but I managed, if anyone needs to know how I can dig up a link that explains.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 9:05 PM, turboT said:

nothing (i think). Difference is the lenses. I have had to change all my LHD cars to RHD lenses. Weirdly swapped out out a set today

IMG_6995_zpsb1hlio1l.jpg

T ... saw you buzzing along Oxford st in this the other day ... could have sworn only the TTG driving lights had yellow lenses ..... please don't tell me your just a KYBRD OTLW???

2 hours ago, ELSPORTO said:

T ... saw you buzzing along Oxford st in this the other day ... could have sworn only the TTG driving lights had yellow lenses ..... please don't tell me your just a KYBRD OTLW???

you're texting like a 13 year old girl - what does any of that mean ??

if you need to refresh your old H4 reflectors, seller START245 on ebay has them for under $100ea. Bargain!

Bought a pair and are quite OK, well packaged but took about 3 weeks from... Latvia!

Item specifics

Condition: New Brand: Automotive Lighting AL
Warranty: Yes Manufacturer Part Number: 711305314928
Interchange Part Number: LRC080 Placement on Vehicle: Front, Left, Right
UPC: 8001063790343

Was glad to get rid of the old dull units. One even had silver paint ?

But decided to keep for a possible LED conversion one day. 

Hope this comes in handy.

LRC080 (1).JPG

LRC080_2.JPG

2 minutes ago, turboT said:

my new daily. Definitely with the yellow H1's

Okay I got to get a set for my car then ... how is the beam at night?

I figure we can hijack this thread as Mike's original question has been answered properly - delete me if not.

Just now, ELSPORTO said:

Okay I got to get a set for my car then ... how is the beam at night?

I figure we can hijack this thread as Mike's original question has been answered properly - delete me if not.

they look great. Still not totally sure whether they are legal....but bathing the bondi hipster mopeds in a soft yellow light on the way home tonight has an old world charm

Just now, turboT said:

they look great. Still not totally sure whether they are legal....but bathing the bondi hipster mopeds in a soft yellow light on the way home tonight has an old world charm

Hahaha ... only illegal if you get caught rolling over the top of one.

These next T ..... very rare cibie bi iodes .... may as well keep the hipsters warm as well...

pair1492907520.jpg

Archived