996.1 key fob issue ?

James P

My 1998 996.1 c2 has a single button on the key fob to unlock/lock the doors.. when you press the button the red led light lights up but nothing happens, doors don’t unlock or lock no lights flash nothing.. it has a new battery in it & at the moment I lock/unlock manually. I only have one key 

Anyone know what could be the problem? 

James Might be a trip to the dealer. You could go round in circles trying to diagnose from a faulty key to faulty receiver or like most electronics it might just need adjusting/remap. No expert but I assume they have a diagnostic that could check or they just remap the key. I know when I had key issues with my merc the dealer took both keys, car and was back 5 min later all remapped. All it cost me was a thank you.

I have a 996.1 If you do not use the key for a few days you have to unlock manually, then the remote will work. Security feature. Have you tried testing the remote after a manual unlock? Happens to me each time as the car is only used on weekends and not always.

+996 on the car going into sleep mode and then the key doesn't work.

Takes 5 days to shutdown and then you'll need to manually unlock the car and the key/transponder will work again.

Had the same issue in a 986. Fob went out of sync with immobiliser in the car. Couldn’t get in as car was locked, mechanical lock on drivers door wouldn’t activate.

Called out the RAA and they airbagged the drivers door, key into ignition, turned to accessories and then opened the passenger door. All working fine again now.

mine was doing something similar and i ended up i having to open the key and spray the board with contact cleaner for electric boards.. make sure to remove the battery. Key no works perfectly.

Archived