Sandown - 996 C2 - Looking for some tips!

Hey Guys and Girls,

Looking for constructive criticism on where I can shave some time off. This was my 2nd time at Sandown , first time in the dry. 

I'm running KW V3s and Advan A050s. Apart from that it's basically stock.

Lap 4 is the best lap,  starts around 4 minutes 40 seconds.

I reckon my seat could go forward a bit more and I'm also putting a harness in for this weekend at Phillip Island. 

Looking good mate!

In watching your video I would be suggesting you could be braking a lot deeper (+ harder) into the corners, especially turn 1, 2 - this should also allow you to get back onto (full!) throttle quicker. I'd also say you are being tentative coming over the back (turn 6) and you could hold it on a bit deeper and carry more speed through and down the hill. It does require some bravery and I know you've had a bit of a moment there previously. :ph34r:

This weekend at Phillip Island will really help you build that fast (4 gear+) corner speed and you'll definitely see the benefits when we go back there later in the year. I've got my fingers & toes crossed for a dry track!

I wouldn't worry too much about the cars setup at the moment, you've got it humming pretty well (your Winton lap times are a good example). Now you can just focus on your driving efforts and have a good datum for improvement. 

Looks good.. your doing well & your lines are good 

The main points.. you are on the brakes to early in most corners notably at the end of the 2 straits & you should be accelerating down the hill at the end of the back strait once the car is settled after you turn in.

Another point get a Hans Device once you have a harness installed 

Like the others said. Brake later - and be more aggressive on them. You are slowing the car by coming off the gas and down changing, then getting on the brakes (or not at all i.e. you don't use them at all at turn 4 & turn 9). Use the brakes to pull the car up - not the gearbox.

Your arms are too straight when turning . Sit back in the seat with your shoulders flat on the seat back, stretch your arm out and place on the top of the steering wheel. It should be under your wrist. Move you seat forward until it is. That way your arms will be close to a 90 degree bend at the elbows when your hands are at 1/4 to 3 and you'll have more arm strength to push the wheel up to turn.

There are seconds waiting for you to kill out there. Have fun. ?

Thanks Fellas, Nick's ordered me a HANS and harness so I'll have them in time for this weekend. 

haha the 'moment' was right after I cut this video short! I didn't want to upload that onto the internet! I was one second quicker on that lap going under the bridge on the back straight as compared to lap 4. 

At least I know the lines are OK, and it's all gunna come down to more balls!  I'm looking forward to phillip island, and then I'm planning on doing PCV at Sandown end of the month so hopefully knock some more time off then! 

Cheers

+1 for a lot of the feedback already ^^ 

Looks like you can brake later, actually it appears (from the data overlay) that you are also holding the brakes past the apex in some turns, I think somewhere you can pick up some pace is in the tighter turns, come in hotter, trail brake it to the apex and use the inertia to rotate the car out, getting back on the gas settles the car and straightens it up (well plus it feels good)... also might just be the video, but I think you can use more of the track (and some), just watch out putting wheels on the green stuff :lol: 

Thanks guys, I've been told the brake thing in the video isn't from the OBD2, I think the app does it by estimating g forces or something, so it's not exactly correct. Ie. I am definitely braking for turn 4 and 9, just maybe not hard enough. 

I believe the acceleration is correct from the OBD2 tho. Very much appreciate the comments and time to watch the video - will definitely adjust seating position as per Airheads advice too. 

Cheers

Well your lines are really nice and you're rotating the car nicely too...always more time between turns six and nine, just depends on your risk appetite...I pussyfoot around that complex too, haha.

All the guys are spot on. The only thing I would add from a sandown perspective is your rounding out your corners. The corner onto the back straight carry your speed further into the line then rotate the car late. Your turning in too early. 

Brake later then immediately throttle as you come through and out of the corner, particularly through the s’s off the back straight as you come off the brake get straight into the throttle don’t roll out of the throttle/brake and coast (if that makes sense) takes balls through that section but there’s time a plenty to be pick up through there.

keep up the good work!

17 hours ago, LeeM said:

B.L.A.T racing

Brake late and turn ?

As Alfie Costanzo once told me “less a dah middle pedal, more of da right”.

Go in deeper, off the throttle, don’t over slow to lose mid corner and on the right pedal to full throttle ASAP.  

Best thing I ever did was get driving lessons. Cheap time.  Leave the car alone.  

Lines look pretty good, you just need to reset from road driving mode and go a lot deeper and harder on the brakes.  Not easy to do.   Steve Owen (V8 Supercar driver) took me for a lap of PI in my GT4 last year.  Now I’ve done my fair share of track laps and feel like I can drive OK but the MASSIVE difference was how late and HARD he stood on the brakes.  No downchanging to slow the car, it’s all BRAKES.  Brake really hard, be patient and wait for the nose to bite then back on the throttle.  I reckon he was 4-5 seconds faster than me and braking was a huge part of that.  By comparison I found I brake moderately hard but over a much longer distance.  I was pretty amazed at just how hard it stopped when he applied maximum brake force, corner after corner.  But I have found very difficult to train the brain to change so significantly.  I suppose that’s why I’m a hack and he’s a pro!

ive done a lot of laps of sandown and that kink up the back still scares me.  But you have a lot in reserve on a number of corners and particularly there.  I did a track walk with Dean Canto - similar story, you can brake much later, turn in and when the cars settles, back on the gas, straight line over the right hand kerb and blast down into Dandenong rd corner and you’ll make up a lot of time.  But it takes a lot of practice and commitment, I’m still trying.  the walls are close and consequences high so don’t be a hero!

1 hour ago, reddahaydn said:

Thanks fellas, put my harness in the other night, now the cars pretty much finished and I’ve just gotta work up to braking harder! 

PS Some wise dude once told me a HANS device should be the first $500 you spend on a track adventure not the last.  Sage advice, hitting something stationary at 200+ is going to hurt and you want your neck protected.  

haha good point Hugh, I already found myself looking up steering wheels!

Already onto the HANS, the father in law hit the wall at Calder 10 years ago and he was adamant the HANS was high on my list!

IMG_1675.jpg

How does this seating position look?

IMG_1678.jpg 

3 hours ago, DJM said:

hitting something stationary at 200+ is going to hurt and you want your neck protected.  

Even at 60 hurts the neck. I'm going through that now

On 05/07/2018 at 16:47, reddahaydn said:

haha good point Hugh, I already found myself looking up steering wheels!

Already onto the HANS, the father in law hit the wall at Calder 10 years ago and he was adamant the HANS was high on my list!

How does this seating position look?

IMG_1678.jpg 

Better. Your clutch when depressed should leave your knee slightly bent. Wrist on top of wheel OK?

Just remember to look up and through the corner.

• 4 months later...

Above is my latest session on 10 track day old tyres. Getting more comfortable using more of the kerbs. Best lap is lap 7.

Below is my first time at Wakefield park on the weekend with a new set of rubber. I ended up getting a 1:10.7 but I forgot my GoPro and my phone video isn't the most reliable thing so all my sessions with sub 1:11 laps didn't have video.

Any advice on either track would be useful! I found I was getting the brakes locking up at wakefield on the rear hairpin. I need to brake harder into turn 2 and turn in a little faster, it's weird with the kink in the straight right before you need to brake. Same as the fishhook. Got the new wheel on as well, gives me a bit more leg room. 

Archived