3D Printed Sportomatic Brake Pedal Rubber

generalsmirnov

Cross post from my blog

The Porsche 911 Sportomatic Brake Pad (Part#: 905-423-511-00) is a NLA item. Not even Pelican Parts can help me, and on forums second hand ones are selling for anywhere from US$90-175. That’s a lot of money for what should be a <$20 piece of rubber. So I had a try at 3D printing one myself in Form2 flexible resin:

printing-closeup-1024x438.png

Side by side comparison of old, heavily worn pad and new printed pad. Note that this was my first go at the model and so I didn't bother rounding corners or printing at high resolution:

side-by-side-1024x435.png

Then finally the fitted product! Only needed minor trimming with a stanley knife:

in-place-pedal-1024x416.png

In total I calculate it cost around $12 of resin (~50mL). Not a bad alternative! Now I just need to see how it wears over time. Keen to try printing other NLA Porsche parts in the future. There are some on Thingiverse, but not as many as I would have expected. Keen to hear any feedback or thoughts!

Very nice work. Don't forget to factor in your time and machine costs. Its probably a $50-75 (ea) run if you produce <100

I wonder what the Chinese would cost to produce old school? 

1 hour ago, Ozvino said:

I wonder what the Chinese would cost to produce old school? 

$1.58. Less the employees hourly rate of 58cents and 20cents materials makes it a profitable product ?

30 minutes ago, MFX said:

I am still amazed at what can be 'printed' these days, with access to the tools and some CAD ability. Nice work.

Thanks Jeff! Your YouTube channel is a real inspiration for me, your breadth of skills is amazing. I've worked at YouTube (Google Sydney) for the last ~9 years so have followed you with interest.

19 hours ago, generalsmirnov said:

Cross post from my blog

The Porsche 911 Sportomatic Brake Pad (Part#: 905-423-511-00) is a NLA item. Not even Pelican Parts can help me, and on forums second hand ones are selling for anywhere from US$90-175. That’s a lot of money for what should be a <$20 piece of rubber. So I had a try at 3D printing one myself in Form2 flexible resin:

printing-closeup-1024x438.png

Side by side comparison of old, heavily worn pad and new printed pad. Note that this was my first go at the model and so I didn't bother rounding corners or printing at high resolution:

side-by-side-1024x435.png

Then finally the fitted product! Only needed minor trimming with a stanley knife:

in-place-pedal-1024x416.png

In total I calculate it cost around $12 of resin (~50mL). Not a bad alternative! Now I just need to see how it wears over time. Keen to try printing other NLA Porsche parts in the future. There are some on Thingiverse, but not as many as I would have expected. Keen to hear any feedback or thoughts!

Put some 'sporto' branding in the center diamond shape?

• 11 months later...

Archived