Nations Cup GT3's

5 hours ago, Tips said:

I’m sure it’s a long que however if anyone does know of or has one of the Nations cup cars for sale please let me know.

They are thin on the ground for sure...

Here is the car i worked on after its Nations Cup life.. photo is with its second owner in 2005 (found it on K-Tec's insta)

• 5 months later...

If you want a car to drive to the track, use and drive home - they are good value. Cost a bit to get these MK1 cars to stop and handle at full potential.

Just need to put the AC back in for those hot days.

Rego is tricky if the cage is welded in. Factory cage is FIA certified allowing full competition use.

At the risk of asking a dumb question, is there a price differential between a 996 Carrera cup car, and a 996 Nations cup car? If so, what is reasonable?

Dumb question 2.....how different are these two cars?

12 minutes ago, Rick V said:

At the risk of asking a dumb question, is there a price differential between a 996 Carrera cup car, and a 996 Nations cup car? If so, what is reasonable?

Dumb question 2.....how different are these two cars?

Initially there was only 1 variant of the GT3 and this was the 996.1 (available in both touring and CS spec.) So, the Nations Cup cars were a 996.1 GT3 and these were what homologated the GT3 and subsequently the GT3 "Cup Car". It wasn't until the 996.2 that production was then split into road cars (Being touring, CS & RS) and a separate (LHD only) specific Cup Car. 

This is what makes the 996.1 so special. :rolleyes:;):)

Apologies, just re-read your post - yes, there is a price difference. 2 quite different cars, one is road registered and the other is a LHD race car. Price difference would be approx 30 - 50k pending examples although there are many factors...............

2 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Thanks @hugh for answering my questions, without treating me like a 6 year old! 👍

So, in theory at least, a nations cup car can be road registered? But a 996.2 cup car is purely a track tool?

Correct.

The 996 GT3 and 996 GT3 Cup both share essentially the same mechanical's but the GT3 Cup is a full welded cage, stripped, track only race car. Although most of the GT3's used for the Nations Cup ended up getting welded cages, air jacks etc. added they were still an originally road compliance legal GT3 so as we have seen many have been taken back to become road compliant registered cars. 

It would be amazing if you could register a GT3 Cup but alas that's not going to be a reality. 

Factory 996 Cup cars started production in 1998 for the Porsche Supercup season here are the production numbers for 996 Cups

1998=29, 1999=81, 2000=71, 2001=114, 2002=200, 2003=200, 2004=150, 2005=90

Now back to the nations cup cars, they were just plain Jane Australian road delivered 996.1 gt3's some were club sports some were touring it didn't matter as the important bits were upgraded, the rules stated we had freedom over the ECU, tyres, brake pads, clutch, springs & shocks & of course safety equipment like roll cage, drivers seat & harness. it was just a production based racing category in Australia.

Production numbers for RHD 996.1 road going gt3's is 308 worldwide if I'm correct 

I would expect the vast majority of all 996 GT3’s have seen a lot of track work. Nations cup cars more than normal.

i can remember back in the day just being involved in helping run PCQ Motorsport, at least 12 - 13 996’s running around very regularly. Each event they showed up with more modifications- shorter diff, bigger throttle bodies, Starr Exhaust, bigger brakes, etc.

If you find one with stock brakes, probably didn’t have a quick driver / driven as hard as some others.

There are still 5 or so still running around, having done a lot or targa events etc. They are very robust cars - like the old air cooled cars.

Most old race cars had / have number plates on them. It’s a unique opportunity to buy a car with some history you can still drive on the road (provided does not have cage welded into front - most states).

Cup car is in another league/ category all together. You need a trailer, a good friend to come to track and a bigger pair of underpants.

I think the current ones advertised are reasonable, the Falken car being the pick. To get your 996 GT3 to keep pace with that car, will cost you $50K. You get to be the caretaker of a piece of Motorsport History.

My 2 cents worth

If any one knows the whereabouts of the old Greg Keen Sportsmed SA nations cup car please let me know, I've been looking for it for many years & would like to buy it.. its the car i worked on & would love to own it

IMG_1554_zps6cui6dgm.jpg

Last seen in Perth & K-Tec have lost track of it..

Interestingly I bumped into Greg at the Bend Motorsport late last year. He was running his 991 RS and newly acquired GT2 RS. Was chatting with him about some of his old cars.

i had competed with him in a few Dutton’s and Indy rally’s

Really nice guy, I have a couple of pics of his cars but it’s too difficult to share.

@James P , do you recall the vin #

25 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Interestingly I bumped into Greg at the Bend Motorsport late last year. He was running his 991 RS and newly acquired GT2 RS. Was chatting with him about some of his old cars.

i had competed with him in a few Dutton’s and Indy rally’s

Really nice guy, I have a couple of pics of his cars but it’s too difficult to share.

@James P , do you recall the vin #

Yes Greg is an awesome guy such good memories of many race weekends with him and my teammates.. 

I don’t have the vin but I could maybe get it from Greg 

1 hour ago, reddahaydn said:

Well. 😩 It seems fitzys is gone. Shame, I was dead set tempted to offload mine for that. You snooze you lose I guess! 

Hopefully the new owner is keen to put it out on the race track!

There's some ripper 996s on carsales at the moment! 

That had your name all over it, surprised you didn't get aboard.  Gee I even gave it a third and fourth look.....

whats the story with the Fitzgerald/Quinn yellow one, ex targa tassie and nations cup for $120k? 

1 hour ago, DJM said:

That had your name all over it, surprised you didn't get aboard.  Gee I even gave it a third and fourth look.....

whats the story with the Fitzgerald/Quinn yellow one, ex targa tassie and nations cup for $120k? 

I was so close but my misses is about to have a baby and I'm doing 80 weeks at work so I can take 2 weeks off. I knew it would sell quick but I just couldn't get organised on time. Haven't had time to breathe the last month. I'd seen it in Nick's a while back and thought man i wish that was for sale! 

Plus (and I'll keep telling myself this to get over the regret) I've just bought a new exhaust system for mine, and booked in for a tune next week - so the closer I get to actually having spent GT3 money, the less it makes sense to sell mine at a loss and buy one haha. but that Mezger........

That being said, I have been sitting here at work, not doing work, but reading all about the Quinn car, I'd put the fitzy car at a $20-$30k premium, so that drops the Quinn car back to around the $100k mark before it's a viable option. Plus I'd want to convert it back to a Mk 1.  

@LeeM - I'm just hoping that the scruitineers don't take him seriously if he tries to enter A3 Road Registered 2001-4000cc!!!!!! 

I see on the US Rennlist Forum (in the 996 GT2/3 section) that a certain Australian gentleman has posted that he has just acquired the ex Fitzgerald 996 Nations Cup car here in Australia.....

Quite a long descriptive explanation of the Aussie racing scene in 2001 / 2 with pictures. He's well known on this Forum too !!

Well don H