Nations Cup GT3's

Gents 

Sorry but don't post on here quite so much even though been on here since maybe 2003 but am trying to get into the habit. 

Yep I'm the buyer of the Fitzy car. Was really helped out by a few of you guys who provided invaluable information not only on the series itself but also the actual history of the car and some seriously detailed photos- you guys know who u are and thanks a million. 

Car won't be used competitively for now. Will have to see how things pan but will see what the son wants to do. He does like his driving but he's still a bit young for my liking. It will likely be a car he and I will use ultimately for events. I do love the history of it and it's really a way for me to do something together with the son as he really loves his cars and competition and I certainly hope to add positively to its history. 

It will be used alot in the meantime. Likely as a silly street driver and maybe the odd track day (I lost the zest for track days some time ago after being very heavily into them running all my Jap machinery starting with the evo 9, and ending in the  997.1 GT3RS but I suspect this may get me back into tracking).

There is my favourite loop just a bit outside of Perth City that is my own little targa stage that I know this car will spend a lot of time on.... Let's just hope the kangaroos don't get in the way

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Good work @Harold996tt, congrats on the purchase. You broke a few hearts buying that one mate 😁

Hahaha cheers Mate.... Never worked so fast to buy a car in my life. Seriously. Hahaha. 

10 hours ago, MR901 said:

Agree 100% that it should be tracked or rallied, it’s a crime to hide them away (they get depressed). Mine has done 22,000 race km & still going strong 👍

E360B938-A97E-40B5-A2AC-CEDEE6AF0D12.jpeg

FDE203B8-6772-4A20-8169-2B719D0CCFF7.jpeg

This is fantastic. Hope to be doing some events for sure with the eldest son one of these days. Found this screen grab pic of both cars back in the day.... 

IMG-20190423-WA0000.jpg

31 minutes ago, Harold996tt said:

Gents 

Sorry but don't post on here quite so much even though been on here since maybe 2003 but am trying to get into the habit. 

Yep I'm the buyer of the Fitzy car. Was really helped out by a few of you guys who provided invaluable information not only on the series itself but also the actual history of the car and some seriously detailed photos- you guys know who u are and thanks a million. 

Car won't be used competitively for now. Will have to see how things pan but will see what the son wants to do. He does like his driving but he's still a bit young for my liking. It will likely be a car he and I will use ultimately for events. I do love the history of it and it's really a way for me to do something together with the son as he really loves his cars and competition and I certainly hope to add positively to its history. 

It will be used alot in the meantime. Likely as a silly street driver and maybe the odd track day (I lost the zest for track days some time ago after being very heavily into them running all my Jap machinery starting with the evo 9, and ending in the  997.1 GT3RS but I suspect this may get me back into tracking).

There is my favourite loop just a bit outside of Perth City that is my own little targa stage that I know this car will spend a lot of time on.... Let's just hope the kangaroos don't get in the way

Cheers. 

You're very good at buying the right car.

38 minutes ago, reggiegums said:

You're very good at buying the right car.

Thanks very much mate. Really happy with it and it's an absolute keeper. 

20 minutes ago, MR901 said:

Very very cool. Thanks for sharing that video my friend. Still can't believe I get to be the custodian of a piece of Porsche Australia history. 

• 3 weeks later...

TNT car was delivered silver & repainted in white / orange livery (not sure they had wraps in 1999 ?). The interior is still the original silver....

Oh & TNT Drivers were Bradbury & Beninca...

On 14/05/2019 at 20:42, 356993??? said:

Any history of what colour GT3s were raced in Nations Cup? And by who?

Yellow - Richards and Quinn?

Silver - Fitzgerald car (before Falken paintwork) ? 

White - TNT car?

Black?

Red?

others?

Ill look through some of the old photos & try work it out, can't be sure what colour they were when delivered new tho 

@MR901 Regarding the first delivered cars i was talking with Fitzy last week & he tells me that his & Jim's car were the first delivered but technically that they were not delivered through PCM dealership physically, Fitzy & Jim went to the shipping wharf picked them up & drove away on trade plates.. the rest of the cars went through PCM then onto the customers.

Your car may have been the first delivered in Sydney as the TNT team was from Sydney.. the main team i was working in had the first 2 SA cars then sent them across to the Fitzy workshop to get roll cages & suspension etc..   

A photo from the 2001 Sandown 500 

• 5 weeks later...
On 14/05/2019 at 18:42, 356993??? said:

Any history of what colour GT3s were raced in Nations Cup? And by who?

Yellow - Richards and Quinn?

Silver - Fitzgerald car (before Falken paintwork) ? 

White - TNT car?

Black?

Red?

others?

Fitzgerald car was iris blue metallic from the factory. Went to falken racing colors then yellow then white then red then silver. Then finally back to falken colors.

The LHD car I am purchasing spent some time in the Fitzgerald workshop, and was apparently "breathed upon" during this time - Cams most likely, change in diff ratio too I understand.

What do you reckon the chances would be of Fitzy still having a record of what was done to the car?  Would be good to have something for the History info I would like to try to build up.

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

The LHD car I am purchasing spent some time in the Fitzgerald workshop, and was apparently "breathed upon" during this time - Cams most likely, change in diff ratio too I understand.

What do you reckon the chances would be of Fitzy still having a record of what was done to the car?  Would be good to have something for the History info I would like to try to build up.

Call him and ask, he loves to regale a story from back in the day.

23 hours ago, Jason A said:

My car ex Fitzy workshop and ownership. Speed yellow from factory, they RS Grey when body converted to MK2 Cup car spec.

Now converted back to MK1, back to bear metal to be put back to factory - including Speed Yellow Paint again. It has been a lot of work 

Mate any progress pictures of the work on the car? Would love to see it. 

The Falken Racing ex Fitzgerald car when it was briefly painted red. Also note the doors and door windows were lightweight items since back to original. The bumpers were at this stage no longer the original but lightweight plastic items (still on the car but repainted). Air jacks and running the cup engine and those horrible rims at this stage. The front lights were the proper clear lights as raced during Nations Cup, but since obviously sold off and replaced with the orange indicator versions that I bought the car with. Have the clear lights coming in on order next few days 

Remnants of the red and silver paint can still be spotted in spots around the car but the entire engine bay and front compartment sports the original iris blue metallic together with the paint code on the chassis. 

classi253.jpg

classi264.jpg

And how she looks currently. Always a bit of a laugh taking her out on the roads. Note the rear non original bumper with centre cut out for the cup exhaust which she had previously with the ex Cup Engine that found itself in JasonA car with the original engine finally being put back in her as per Nations Cup spec... So matching numbers... JasonA car now has the hot cup engine in exchange. 

AO2I1178-01-min-min.jpeg

@James P do you know how much of the interior of the cars was original during the Nations Cup period and if things such as air con etc were left in the car? I ask this as my car has obviously been through a number of iterations and now doesn't have the rear original parcel shelf finishing etc. Also the car has no air bags nor the original side trimmings. We're stereo bits etc all taken out or left in the cars. Is fitzy on this forum? Would love to get his feedback and stories here. 

James are you on fb? Would be great to start a fb page on Nations Cup and slowly try track down all the other competitor cars and their current owners as well. 

@hugh saw one of the Diablos a little while back as well and has some pictures of that beast. Not sure if it was the 2000 car or the 2001 car though. 

Not Porsche related but rather Nations Cup related... It looks like back in the day the Nizpro guys tried to build a 200SX to compete in the Nations Cup... Little realising that they would be split into two different race groups one for exotics and the other for the less exotic I guess. No doubt this car would have given the Porkers a run for theor money.

But more interesting is if this car was built to Nations Cup spec at the time it appears a fair bit of work was allowed to the engines under the rule book- @James P does the work done on the 200sx engine seem like it would have fit the rule book back in the day? Which begs the question how much work was done to the 996 GT3 engines that competed at Nations Cup if this is the case. Also stuff like motec dash etc appeared to have been acceptable in this case? 

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Best-of-the-Best&A=107989

2 hours ago, Jason A said:

I noted my car was log booked with 3.9 litres, it has a few lap tea cords when Coleman drove it. Motec, ohlins suspension, cup car brakes etc.

Not really stock 😉

Yes mate I suspect the cars had a bit more work done to them than the basic safety and suspension work alone based off what the nizpro car had done to it. 

The cars started as stock in the first year with all interior as standard, as the category expanded to include more exotic cars they introduced freedoms to make certain cars more competitive, things like power upgrades, aftermarket ECU's, weight reduction, aero & air jacks were allowed that was the start of the down fall of nations cup but it was inevitable as new makes & models became available. Nations cup turned into Aus GT eventually 

For me the 2 first years were the best, almost standard cars having a crack on a race track

2 hours ago, MR901 said:

Harold,

A couple of recent pics of TNT. To answer your questions mine has airjacks & most of the original interior in place (excluding carpet, door cards & centre console). Sadly no aircond....would be great for hot track days !!

Cheers

Interior.jpg

Exterior.jpg

AirJacks.jpg

Mate thanks so much. Will definitely get a Nations Cup fb page started up. Let's try catch up in Singapore next month mate!!!!