Nations Cup GT3's

10 hours ago, hugh said:

Question, can I ask any Nations Cup car owners what their car is classified in for the log book? (in terms of class classification)

Thanks in advance! 

Category 2i for circuit racing 

Rally Cars 324 FED for targa tas etc 

• 1 month later...

I was talking to Simon Froude today, as he now lives in Tassie and was on our EMR this morning.  He turned up in a nice red 997 GT3 ex Adelaide.  He said he had talked to the current owner of his old car, and was I think, considering making an offer to buy it back, but decided on the 997 as it would not have been as used and abused as his old Cup car 🙂 

• 4 weeks later...

Significant day today, after 1.5 years of sourcing parts (it is getting very difficult to find correct factory parts for a MK1 996 GT3) etc etc. I dropped my car at the paint shop for some minor body work and a full everything out bare metal respray.

Hope to have it back in a month or two for reassembly.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice bit of glassware Jason, which would be great to reunite with your car.  I bet you were thinking how do I slip that in my pocket without him noticing 🤣

great thing I’m finding about these P cars is the history and at times getting together with former owners to talk about them. I have a coffee date with a former owner of my SC next week to do just that. He owned it in 84 and still has fond memories.

As I mentioned to Matt, he is a significant part of the cars history. He was very happy to know the car was being cared for. He campaigned it with his father and said it was an amazing year.

Great story. He had a scrapbook of that year which I took some snaps, he will scan and send. Plus a picture of the car with #1 on it. He was running around with Webb, Luff and a few other well known drivers. 2002, seemed to be the rebirth of Porsche Cup.

Prior to this he was running with Audi factory in super tourers.

Just shows we are only custodians of these cars not the owner really.

9 hours ago, Jason A said:

As I mentioned to Matt, he is a significant part of the cars history. He was very happy to know the car was being cared for. He campaigned it with his father and said it was an amazing year.

Great story. He had a scrapbook of that year which I took some snaps, he will scan and send. Plus a picture of the car with #1 on it. He was running around with Webb, Luff and a few other well known drivers. 2002, seemed to be the rebirth of Porsche Cup.

Prior to this he was running with Audi factory in super tourers.

Just shows we are only custodians of these cars not the owner really.

Fantastic mate. Thanks for sharing and I totally agree with you.

Will be meeting with Peter Fitzgerald in the next two weeks. Actually made a book summarising his career and the history of his Falken 996 GT3 Mk 1 car that I will present to him when I see him, in recognition of the life he breathed into what is otherwise an inanimate object. 

156656826487228501400.jpg

3 hours ago, Jason A said:

Wow @Harold996tt that is amazing and a really good idea. If you are in Melbourne in 2 weeks let me know, I may be down there again at that time

Thanks so much mate. Yes really wanted him to have a keepsake and I made a second book as well for him to sign which I could keep with the car. Will definitely reach out to you when I'm in Melbourne and hopefully you will be there buddy. 

Gents, I'll be in Melbourne September 13-22 & will be taking the TNT car to Winton on September 13 for a pre Targa High Country blast.....if the moon & stars align maybe we're all in town at the same time & can talk Nations Cup !!

Harold, great job on the book, I'm sure Fitzy will love it.....

Cheers

On 24/08/2019 at 12:00, MR901 said:

Gents, I'll be in Melbourne September 13-22 & will be taking the TNT car to Winton on September 13 for a pre Targa High Country blast.....if the moon & stars align maybe we're all in town at the same time & can talk Nations Cup !!

Cheers

Argh I leave Melbourne on the 12th mate!!!! Would have loved to photograph the TNT car!!! 

On 26/08/2019 at 05:14, Jason A said:

Hi Gents @Harold996tt @MR901 I am in Melbourne 2nd to 5th & again from 16th to 19th.

Let me know how that works with your calendar- staying in CBD and have a hire car.

Oh mate. We will be missing each other this trip unfortunately. I only arrive 9/9 in Melbourne and leave on the. 12/9.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent a brilliant few days with Fitzy where he waxed lyrical about l his exploits and his guys also had a couple tales to tell.

Was really excited to confirm that the Fitzy GT3 was literally the first GT3 ever to be registered in Australia. He went with Jim Richards as many of you know to the docks to pick their cars up direct. Fitzy proceeded to get his immediately cleared and registered by Vic Roads and drove the car straight to the track to run her in!!!

Not sure exactly what the process was to finally run her in but the engine still runs well thank goodness. But really cool piece of history knowing it was the very first GT3 on Australian roads. The real grand daddy of all the GT3s now on the road. I really need to sort her WA rego out to keep the legacy alive. 

One more cool bit was at dinner Jim Richards actually called Fitzy up. So cool seeing that these two legends are still so close to each other. 

4 hours ago, Harold996tt said:

Spent a brilliant few days with Fitzy where he waxed lyrical about l his exploits and his guys also had a couple tales to tell.

Was really excited to confirm that the Fitzy GT3 was literally the first GT3 ever to be registered in Australia. He went with Jim Richards as many of you know to the docks to pick their cars up direct. Fitzy proceeded to get his immediately cleared and registered by Vic Roads and drove the car straight to the track to run her in!!!

Not sure exactly what the process was to finally run her in but the engine still runs well thank goodness. But really cool piece of history knowing it was the very first GT3 on Australian roads. The real grand daddy of all the GT3s now on the road. I really need to sort her WA rego out to keep the legacy alive. 

One more cool bit was at dinner Jim Richards actually called Fitzy up. So cool seeing that these two legends are still so close to each other. 

Glad you caught up with him Harold, he's a really nice bloke Peter, always has a few good stories to tell...

On 24/08/2019 at 14:00, MR901 said:

Cheers

@MR901 in Melbourne for one more night, flying out Thursday afternoon- let me know if you want to catch up

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

Glad you caught up with him Harold, he's a really nice bloke Peter, always has a few good stories to tell...

Cheers mate. He is an amazing guy as you said with tons of stories. Really was so good to finally meet the guy in person. The amount of time he gave was truly awesome. We ended up having dinner on the second night and it was an absolute laugh. 

5 hours ago, tdc911 said:

Do you know if it is the same one that Fitzy raced against the plane on the airstrip as part of the local launch of the GT3?

That I don't know mate... What colour was that car? 

25 minutes ago, Harold996tt said:

Cheers mate. He is an amazing guy as you said with tons of stories. Really was so good to finally meet the guy in person. The amount of time he gave was truly awesome. We ended up having dinner on the second night and it was an absolute laugh. 

Did you get to a chat with Clem in the workshop, he's a gem, knows his stuff inside out and always a smile ..

3 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Did you get to a chat with Clem in the workshop, he's a gem, knows his stuff inside out and always a smile ..

Mate clem seems to remember more stuff about the cars than even fitzy! Such a nice guy as yiu say with so much info and a mega smile. What a brilliant guy!!!