AUS Delivered vs Import

Dave997S

1 hour ago, D2000 said:

Guessing you don't drive that beauty much!?!

It has done 57,000 kms and I have put around 2,000 kms on it in the last 12 months including a road trip for a feature story with Total911 magazine. After each road trip I get my cars inspected, cleaned etc to keep them in tip top condition...because I know if I don't....when the time comes, my ability to sell quickly, and at a good price, will suffer.

22 hours ago, MFX said:

Yes, they worry about where it lived, but not where it was delivered new. I have seen plenty of rusty Aussie cars. The blanket irrational fear of imports in Aus is real and it is reflected by the prices. To me, I care more about a cars condition than where it was sold, so I would quite happily enjoy the savings of buying a quality import, and let everyone else pay more for the same car with a different country on a piece of paper :D

Ironically some amercans will shy away from ‘grey’ imports from Europe, even though they typically have better engines.  Main stigma is that they weren’t as well equipped and dodgy conversions to US standards (wasn’t just the ugly bumpers).  A ‘clean title’ is the game, and some imports have a question mark.  To be fair, that is also some of the stigma in Oz, because many imports lose their history in the journey.

But yes, California car and all that, but not just lived there for a while.

Go the Australian Delivered. I did a lot of research before purchasing my 997 and was tempted at a few UK imports, as they were an easy 20% less expensive. Every one I had inspected 'looked' like an import and had small corrosion issues, not bodywork, but ancillaries were obvious that it had spent time on salted roads... as well cleaned as they were ! You are talking a 10-13 year old car with a series 1 and if it has the books stamped as Australian delivered the biggest difference will be your own resale. Buy 20 % less now, expect at least the same or more if you ever need to move it on. If you buy well, and I'd be more worried about low rather than high mileage, a good example will likely appreciate. Looking at asking prices mine has at least held it's value over the last three years and many are asking $20-$30K more than I paid... although they are garage queens and you wonder what they really sell for.

Enjoy the chase : )

Archived