First look at the new Singer. Holy crap!

MFX

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Bolt on guards look doesn't do it for me. Should be smooth, other than that I wish I was billionaire?

I am not a fan of the Autohaus style bolt on guards (Group 4 is it?), but I think those work.

Wow some mind blowing workmanship has gone into that ...........looks a lot better in the flesh than the original concept images I didn,t like the color on the concept ,seems very track focused with the front splitter , big rear duck tail and all the air openings at the rear engine compartment   ,,,and I really dig that space age retro interior look WOW ..........looks like something from a Star Wars or Flash Gordan space craft in side ,,SHIFT INTO HYPA SPACE ...:)

45 minutes ago, LeeM said:

If you haven't already, wait till you hear the thing! There are some Instagram videos around. Will try and post one here of the red one doing laps at Goodwood 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlJhWU7A3r3/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=uvc1n64xwf0x

How many have they made already???

Ahh, I see now that they have the white one for a static display and the red one to run up the hill.

6 hours ago, 3legs said:

Bolt on guards look doesn't do it for me. Should be smooth, other than that I wish I was billionaire?

I agree.  Looks very DIY boy racer.  The motor is a gem and this is a race car.

33 minutes ago, firstone said:

Sounds like a McLaren Porsche. Need to hear more now.

Williams Porsche actually ??

I wasn't mega excited with the new car, especially as Jeff said about the Group 4 flared guards, yet the more I look at it the more I like it. It didn't have the same impact when the original Singer was buit, yet it's a very special car. Wonder how many orders they've received? 

You have to hand it to Rob Dickinson ,,,they have created something that has grown much larger than I think they ever expected it to ,,,the demand for these bispoke cars seems to be very much in demand and Singer really is a great success story ....

Agreed. 

People should watch the video on YouTube where Chris Harris visits Singer, as it gives a better insight to how it started and the headaches along the way. You have to admire Rob's attention to detail and dedication 

18 minutes ago, Midnight 911 said:

Porsche should be making something like this. 

This is the thing.  We have arrived at a weird place where car companies can’t make the cars people want to buy.  A few have tried the retro thing reissuing old cars but they can’t be registered.   Singer and others are creating excitement and interest that manufacturers aren’t getting.  How long before official manufacturer retro modding becomes a thing?  It’s the only way to get around the rules that have created compromised cars.

4 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Singer and others are creating excitement and interest that manufacturers aren’t getting

Nailed it. 

I'd buy a Singer over ANY new sports car if I had the means

56 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Williams Porsche actually ??

I wasn't mega excited with the new car, especially as Jeff said about the Group 4 flared guards, yet the more I look at it the more I like it. It didn't have the same impact when the original Singer was buit, yet it's a very special car. Wonder how many orders they've received? 

To be honest, I loved the original Singer cars when they first came out, but even if I had the cash I don't think I could justify the price on the scheme of things. This car is a whole new ball game, and even though it is around triple the price, I see a lot more value in this new car. It is a lot more than a super clean restomod, it is a complete custom creation.

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

This is the thing.  We have arrived at a weird place where car companies can’t make the cars people want to buy.  A few have tried the retro thing reissuing old cars but they can’t be registered.   Singer and others are creating excitement and interest that manufacturers aren’t getting.  How long before official manufacturer retro modding becomes a thing?  It’s the only way to get around the rules that have created compromised cars.

Probably why there is nowhere to bolt on number plates

5 hours ago, Coastr said:

How long before official manufacturer retro modding becomes a thing?  It’s the only way to get around the rules that have created compromised cars.

... 30 seconds after an established manufacturer even suggested doing something like this the safety nannies and the emission regulators would shut them down on the basis of flaunting the rules and promoting unsafe and unclean cars. At the moment companies like Singer are small enough to slip under the radar and I believe that in places like America you don’t have to meet the current regulations, just those from when the car was ‘originally’ made.

Modern regulations are making things hard, I sometimes wonder if it hadn’t been done before now and a manufacturer to tried to release a car with the engine in the back it would never get approval because of inherent handling instability issues making it unsafe ?

3 hours ago, 9r said:

... 30 seconds after an established manufacturer even suggested doing something like this the safety nannies and the emission regulators would shut them down on the basis of flaunting the rules and promoting unsafe and unclean cars. At the moment companies like Singer are small enough to slip under the radar and I believe that in places like America you don’t have to meet the current regulations, just those from when the car was ‘originally’ made.

Modern regulations are making things hard, I sometimes wonder if it hadn’t been done before now and a manufacturer to tried to release a car with the engine in the back it would never get approval because of inherent handling instability issues making it unsafe ?

That's right. Engine's should be in the middle where the best cars have em.?

Archived