Square Dash 944 DME's

McCoey

I'm in need of a DME to suit an 83' 944 as the unit I have looks like it's seen more water than Jacque Cousteau. 

I've read on other forums (dangerous I know) that it's possible to fit a later model DME into an earlier car, as long as it's with an Air flow meter to suit, basically early model car, late model ECU and AFM. For my application, effectively I'd be fitting an 86' DME and AFM into an 83' yet I've only seen this kinda thing in Americaland and from what I have had confirmed, US DME's into AUDM cars don't work. 

So my question is, has anyone fitted a late model DME and AFM into an early car. Has anyone done this or can confirm this to be the case here in AU? I've been chasing an 83' AUDM DME for some time now, and it's proving hard to find one (would go down the path of the original 83' DME if I could get my hands on one) but I might have to look at other options. Would love to get some thoughts on the subject from people that know, as if I could confirm it does indeed work, the next step would be the LR 2.5 8v NA tune MAF kit found here: https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944NATUNE.html

I'd be really interested to see if anyone has ^ fitted to their 944 here in Australia, a lot of what that can do appeals to me.

Failing that, I could go down that path of an M800, it works in the 944 challenge series, and I've had exposure to tuning them before so I won't be having a Robinson Crusoe moment, plus I've got dyno access to make it nice. It's just the most expensive option, and I'd rather find a unicorn early spec LSD for my car as well. 

Any help would be appreciated.  

Archived