Cruising inner Melbourne?

autojack

When I lived in the States I had an excuse to commute in my car 65 miles on pretty open highways once a week. Now I've had the poor thing in Melbourne since February but hardly had the chance to use it! I work from home now so no place to commute to, and unfortunately weekends are pretty busy with two young kids that need attention. But I could probably sneak away for a long lunch on a weekday. Can anyone suggest a place I could cruise to from Parkville that wouldn't have me sitting in traffic or stopping at a light every other block? I was thinking maybe down to St. Kilda or something could be good. Albert Park?? I'd just be happy to have a drive around, warm the oil and listen to the engine!

10 minutes ago, James P said:

What about Kew Boulevard its short but at least you get out & about... happy to join you when i feel like a quick spin during the day 

Hmm, around the golf course and whatnot? Good idea, I went on a vintage Vespa ride through there a few years ago, it was nice! I might take you up on the offer of a joint drive as well!

James hit it, for sure ….for a nice little short spurt ... You'd only be about 15mins from Studley Park, so for a longer slice of fun -- onto  the boulevard there and then onto the freeway at Chandler Highway and back off at Bullen Rd. Straight down to the end and around into Templestowe and through the semi bush to Warrandyte.. That'd be about an hour.

Have a feed and a drink there and lots of long ways home re St Andrews, Whittlesea and onto the Hume back to Parkville or a shorter fun journey from Warrandyte across to Eltham and back into Templestowe and home.

Yep go north of the eastern, trickle around the boulevard and the like. Traffic around st kilda is no fun. 

It isn't too far to head out to warrandyte via templestowe either. Just keep your times between 930 and 2pm and you'll be sweet. 

yep, agree with the above. Jump on the boulevard around abbotsford/johnston st end.... you can get off at alphington and jump straight onto the eastern. Go through the tunnel, get off at ringwood bypass, chuck a left and head around warrandyte, wonga park, etc, decent windy roads around there.

Or instead of turning off to warrandyte, you can go straight which will take you to mount dandenong. Lots of windy roads up the mountain and some fun unsealed side roads if you dont mind taking your car off road a little.

18 hours ago, James P said:

What about Kew Boulevard its short but at least you get out & about... happy to join you when i feel like a quick spin during the day 

Keep me in the loop you two, I could probably join you as well !

im 5 mins from the Kew Boulevard, so im in also!

for those near Ivanhoe, Heidelberg, Rosanna etc - Lower Plenty rd takes you out pretty quickly through Eltham and into the Christmas Hills to Yarra Glen. There is a cafe in Watsons Creek called The Dark Horse and the new Chocolaterie in Yarra Glen (massive car park for an SMT) for a couple of stops.

Im in Richmond and often do the Warrandyte/Kinglake/Healsville/Eltham loops. 

A little further out, head up to Warburton and the Reefton Spur... all of a sudden you're on some of the best twisty's in the state in my opinion :CoolDance:

Count me in on a sunny Saturday or Sunday morning if a drive is organised!

Archived