Suggestions for rear licence plate lights

Mike D'Silva

My car has the huge USA spec rear bumperettes and I am looking either to find a set of the Aus spec ones, or perhaps even run the car without them at all.

However, the bumperettes also have the lights for the rear licence plate. What have people used to light their rears, if not using any bumperette?

I was thinking something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Rear-White-LED-License-Plate-Bolt-Light-Universal-Fit-Motorcycle-Car-UTV-ATV/232645891843?epid=14013899290&hash=item362ac69703%3Ag%3A600AAOSwDVtabT6y&_sacat=0&_nkw=rear+licence+plate+light&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Or one of these, either side..

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Rear-License-Number-Plate-Light-Lamp-Truck-Boat-Caravan-Trailer-12-24V-LA/113132807703?epid=4020049940&hash=item1a573da617%3Ag%3AUycAAOSwmypbPtbx&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=rear+licence+plate+light&_from=R40&rt=nc

Hi Mike,I used the small motorcycle  ones after fitting a plastic rear bumper on my SC and they work a treat,they secure the plate and provide great illumination. 

Best part is no need to drill holes in your bumper to mount the large original style ones.Sorry can not attach photos on this forum

Pete

1 hour ago, Mike D'Silva said:

yeah, the only thing I was thinking of, was access to the rear to tighten the nut for when you wanted to remove/change the plate.. but I will probably do it anyway.

Thanks for chiming in.

That is definitely an issue. I used the same bike ones on my car. Just put some spade connections in the cables to make it easy to change the plate. 

1 hour ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Lee, that's a pretty clean and clever solution.

Cheap too at $14 and I have a spare one for the front/froot/frunk. I was going to fit 2 like an early car, but it was waaay too bright 

I just used some industrial double sided tape, as what it comes with is pretty pathetic, and drilled a small 3mm hole for the wiring then stuck it on ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2018 at 2:15 PM, Mike D'Silva said:

How to mod the bumper so it has no external bolts?

This is what I want to know. Save me workin shit out.

I've thought about welding the holes up, and welding new brackets on the inside of the bumper. Probably need to rehash the mounts on the body.

Man you guys know how to make work for yourselves ? Why not attach to under the decklid like mine above? Even if you find a light that needs holes drilled early 911 style or whatever (unlike my stick on one which hasn't moved) it would save having a light on the bumper or re engineering the whole bumper and getting the welder out and looks a lot cleaner. You could even do l.e.d strip lighting that you won't see

On 8/8/2018 at 8:34 AM, LeeM said:

Man you guys know how to make work for yourselves ? Why not attach to under the decklid like mine above? Even if you find a light that needs holes drilled early 911 style or whatever (unlike my stick on one which hasn't moved) it would save having a light on the bumper or re engineering the whole bumper and getting the welder out and looks a lot cleaner. You could even do l.e.d strip lighting that you won't see

It is super clean and much better visibility. These bolt LED are pretty poor in light quality (good or bad thing I guess).

Regarding the bumper mods... mine is a Fibreglass piece, so its light and is just held in place by some bolts on the underside to the guards and the centre piece.

On 8/8/2018 at 8:34 AM, LeeM said:

I ended up not putting lights in at all, took zero work

Archived