What is the difference between a 996/997 cup car and GT3

MFX

4 hours ago, MFX said:

Getting a written off GT3 would be good, but I think it would be a lot more expensive. I thought of the cup cars, as the are disproportionally cheap compared to their road going brethren. Interestingly, in the US, cup cars are much more expensive. I mentioned that we could get cup cars for $60-70k here, and over there they are closer to $100kUS. 

I think I will have to go back to the drawing board, on this one. I have plenty of time up my sleeve as I still have 4 unfinished projects, so I don't need another one yet ;) 

Ohhh get into it ya slack bastard. ?

I often speak to many of the cup car owners that I compete with in the state sprint series ,,,and some of the dollar figure these guys are paying running these cars is pretty expensive ,,when you consider this is just at an amature club level ,,it is amazing the sort of money some are prepared to spend ...eg 996 RSR ,,,991 Cup Cars,, 997 Cup Cars 996 Cup cars ,,Lambourgini Gallardo GT3 spec ,,Ginetta gt3 and a host of regular road going GT3 ,, GT4 and lotus cup cars ,,,it is an impressive site to see ,,,but a lot of money for weekend motorsport ..

Rennlist quotes 3K per hour of use and that is including everything such as engine and gearbox wear etc. the Americans are over the top with their maintenance. Not a bad thing necessarily but it blows the costs out majorly when you are timing out parts on a professional race time table. Not exactly necessary if you are doing super sprints or track days.

My understanding with cup engine (at least in 996) is that the main difference is the cam set up. Cup car is tuned to be at the top of the rev range at all times, hence shorter rebuild intervals. After owning both a street GT3 and now 996 cup, the cup needs to be right up top of the rev range to have any speed, a lot different to the road car engine character.  People on rennlist have posted about doing over 30,000 track kms on cup engines without any work. That is pretty bloody impressive! 

Maybe there are other differences between the engines that I don’t know about. My mechanic said they’re more or less the same internally.

Archived