Stone Chip Film Removal

PhilH

Need some advice on removing old stone chip film from my car.  

It looks like the film has been on from when the car was new, so around 20 years and is proving almost impossible to remove. It has started to go yellowish and crack.

Have used heat gun, chemicals etc and nothing seems to be working. Even a professional car detailers is having problems removing it.

Anyone have any suggestions?  And if you have it, probably a good idea to refresh it every few years!!

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

if its the vinyl clear stone guard that comes off with a hair dryer or heat gun ,,,you heat it up and peel it of slowly,,,I apply it and remove it all the time on my race car ..

Thanks Raven,. I think the problem with this one is that it has been on fire 20 years so has really stuck on and started to go hard and crack. Will not peel even with a heat gun. Comes off in very tiny pieces and the glue stays on.

The detailers said it should be changed at a max of 5 years.

Phil, take it to Winguard Paint Protection. It’s all they do (film). The new stuff does not age like the old stuff and so it can be left on for many years to no detriment. I see you now have a 996, looks nice in your avatar. Pic?

6 hours ago, spiller said:

Phil, take it to Winguard Paint Protection. It’s all they do (film). The new stuff does not age like the old stuff and so it can be left on for many years to no detriment. I see you now have a 996, looks nice in your avatar. Pic?

Great. Thanks for the info.  Will take it to them next week.  Mind you, popcorn, beer and steel razor blades at Lee's place could be a lot of fun.....although a new paint job has not been budgeted!!

59 minutes ago, PhilH said:

Great. Thanks for the info.  Will take it to them next week.  Mind you, popcorn, beer and steel razor blades at Lee's place could be a lot of fun.....although a new paint job has not been budgeted!!

I have some silver rattle cans here mate. We'll call you the Adelaide Outlaw! ?

13 minutes ago, LeeM said:

I have some silver rattle cans here mate. We'll call you the Adelaide Outlaw! ?

Excellent.  I think the bumpers would look good in Red though - Got any Red??

10 hours ago, PhilH said:

C2 with Aero.  Few things to tidy up but I am happy with it.  Gives me something to do ?

Beautiful car.  Is that the one from carsales recently?

Also, might want to think about getting one of these (link is to a uk site but you can get them from your local dealer for about $40), makes the front number plate sit way better:  https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod5124/Porsche-996-Number-Plate-Holder-99670110500/

13 hours ago, mhh said:

I've been busy and missed this new arrival. Congrats Phil. About time. I'm looking forward to seeing it. :)

Yes, finally got one.!  Be great to catch up soon.

23 hours ago, D2000 said:

Beautiful car.  Is that the one from carsales recently?

Also, might want to think about getting one of these (link is to a uk site but you can get them from your local dealer for about $40), makes the front number plate sit way better:  https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod5124/Porsche-996-Number-Plate-Holder-99670110500/

Yes was on Carsales about 6 weeks ago. I flew down to MEL to have a look at it the day after it went up and  did the deal a few days later. Despite the PFA forum " chatter",  it was not an import, not on the WOVR, had not had a crash, and did not die on the drive back to ADL?

I had some work done in MEL before I drove it back...major service, IMS Soultion upgrade, brakes etc. So far it runs well!

1 hour ago, PhilH said:

Yes, finally got one.!  Be great to catch up soon.

Yes was on Carsales about 6 weeks ago. I flew down to MEL to have a look at it the day after it went up and  did the deal a few days later. Despite the PFA forum " chatter",  it was not an import, not on the WOVR, had not had a crash, and did not die on the drive back to ADL?

I had some work done in MEL before I drove it back...major service, IMS Soultion upgrade, brakes etc. So far it runs well!

Well done!

How do you find it vs your for former air-cooled 3.2s?

Archived