coolant for 996

gelb996

Hi

Has anyone changed the coolant on a 996C2

I just got a price from Porsche of $30 per litre for their coolant concentrate. With a capacity of around 20 litres the cost would be around $300.

Are there any cheaper options?

The current coolant in the car I think is the original coolant and is a yellow colour. Is there a problem with mixing alternaive coolants and is a flush of the system required?

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

On my 997 C2 S I use G12 Pink coolant from Pentosin Pentofrost SF ethylene glycol based used in VW and Audi was told it is the same as Porsche just not in the Porsche container ...

From my understanding you should not mix coolant types or colors 

Try uk design911 link 

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt878_1330_-cma81-cmo117/Porsche/997-MKI--911--2005--08/Coolant---Antifreeze/

The Porsche 996 requires the use of  Organic Additive Technology (OAT) . An example of this type of coolant is:

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/cooling-systems/red-premium-long-life-coolant-100-percent-concentrate

If you mix OAT coolant with normal coolant (often green) is forms a sludge, so make sure you don't use the wrong coolant.

When Porsche released the 996, OAT coolant was new and therefore it was important to only purchase Porsche coolant. These days OAT coolant is more common and therefore you can purchase it at your local auto shop.

Porsche doesn't replace coolant as part of normal service intervals as it is consider not to need replacing. However like many things, Porsche's 'lifetime', is really till the end of the warranty period with some suggestions that coolant should be replaced every 2 years. My thought is that coolant is probably fine to be replaced every five years or so if the car hasn't leaked or become contaminated.

Pay your $300 for the P coolant, mix @ 50% with distilled water and forget it for the next 5 years......

Don't forget, it has to mix with whatever is currently in the system and considering you may have 20+ litres in the engine / rads. you will not get 20 litres out when you drain it unless you use an Uview 550000 airlift type evacuation pump and compressor. 

3 hours ago, James P said:

How often should the coolant be flushed in the cup car James?

8 hours ago, spiller said:

How often should the coolant be flushed in the cup car James?

I’m not sure but I’ll probably do it every 4 years or if you have to pull apart the cooling system for something.. I only drive it about 5 times a year (I’m at Sandown today in the cup just enjoying it) 

2 hours ago, James P said:

I’m not sure but I’ll probably do it every 4 years or if you have to pull apart the cooling system for something.. I only drive it about 5 times a year (I’m at Sandown today in the cup just enjoying it) 

Yeah that’s the same with me, 4-5x year max for me. I’ve already flushed mine about three times haha, all the hoses have been replaced now. Enjoy Sandown.

Archived