993 headlight reflector

rafikdous

My car failed road worthy because of a dim left headlight, the reflector has its chrome surface deteriorating

Does anyone have a spare out there?

I am after the reflector only

cheers

Hi rafikdous 

If you can not find one what about applying chrome vinyl film or wrap to the reflective lens surface ,,,,I know you are pretty hands on as I have followed some of your build threads ..

The stuff only has to last a short period of time 2 or 3 minutes for the road worthy inspection ,,,could be a quick solution to get you out of a jam while you are waiting on a replacement backing lens ...

This stuff is pretty cheap and you would not need that much you can buy it on ebay ..

s-l1600.jpg

993 head light removed 

This pelican DIY shows you how to separate and clean one ...

I noticed that my 993 headlight reflectors and the inside of the lenses were covered w/a dust/dirt film and were not as bright as a friend's 993 lights. I guess it's from 5+ years & 34k miles of use. The headlight assemblies are NOT airtight (open venting under the spring lock area), nor is the headlight fender bucket. 

I decided to clean the INSIDE of my headlights which turned out to be easy, fast and effective. Obviously, remove the headlights following the simple owner's manual instructions. 

The assemblies are easily opened by prying up each of the 5 catches connecting the lens assembly from the body. Two of the catches are "sealed" by a melted down plastic area. Gentle prying broke open the seals. I then gently pried the 2 parts open by working around the assembly with a broad screwdriver/putty knife. Once opened I carefully cleaned the inside lens glass & the projector glass lens with a lint free cloth & glass cleaner. I also cleaned the reflectors with a dry, clean, lint free cloth. Reassembly was easy. Just slide the 2 pieces together until the catches all snap into place. 

open4.jpg

open3.jpg

Yeh that one does look pretty bad ...

It  dosnt help that the lights are not sealed and that dust and moisture can get in there ..

I have never been able to find any one who can to do chrome on plastic here in Sydney it is just one of those to hard basket things for the plating shops ..

I have seen things dipped in chrome films but again I dont know who does this stuff down under and how it would go with the bulb heat over time ...?

Archived