928 Fuel tank repair or replacement.

CHS

Bugger!! I would be trying the plastic weld option first or trying to find one from a Porsche wrecker, https://dasnine.com.au/, aporschapart or there is Matt Nicholson I think his name is (will try and find contact details for him). Someone in Melb may be able to recommend a plastic welder?

Pics, yes you need an external photo hosting account.

I think some are still available new, but close to $2k!! Good thing is they are all the same from 78 to 95.

Matt's number 0424928930, he dismantles 928s

So it is the green one that was sold recently?

11 minutes ago, CHS said:

I just found 1 from ANF'S link dasnine was a great help am loving having the 928 and hope this is not a sign of things to come. The car is a nice low kms example.

Great! Just keep the maintenance up to it and it should all be fine :)

What year is yours?

31 minutes ago, ANF said:

There is only one response to that WTF!

Don't scare him off yet, he just bought it!

Very important in life not to wear rose coloured glasses , and to offer help & advice for free! And these days , you can always crowd fund disasters if you have enough buddies.

3 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Very important in life not to wear rose coloured glasses , and to offer help & advice for free! And these days , you can always crowd fund disasters if you have enough buddies.

Rose coloured occasionally so not to be dragged down by the gloom, enjoy that 928!!

Crowd fund you say, well then donate here! ?

46 minutes ago, ANF said:

Rose coloured occasionally so not to be dragged down by the gloom, enjoy that 928!!

Crowd fund you say, well then donate here! ?

My family is crowd funding my automobilial artefact collection! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, Continuing on from last time i have replaced the fuel tank.  wasnt so bad now the repairer is saying that the low presure sender pump is leaking through the positive terminal. and need to find one howevere they are worth heaps.

Do not bother with the poorly designed 928 pre pump , most 928 models never had them anyway & they do not need them because of the positioning of the main pump makes the 928 pre pump redundant , unlike other Euro cars ( Volvo / BMW / Merc ) in the 1980's that had to move the fuel going out of the fuel tank vertically to get to the main ( external ) main fuel pump & it was this vertical supply system that had to have a pre pump

Note } The 928 is blessed with the main fuel pump position being at the same level as the outlet on the bottom  of the fuel tank , so a pre pump is unnecessary with this design

Worst still the 928  pre pump design was one of the worst designs I have ever seen in 42+ years , it has more design & manufacturing flaws than you can poke a stick at  , no wonder they stopped making them years & years ago

We have been using the more common and way better designed 928 intake pre filter ( Genuine Porsche ) for the last 10 - 12 years , it has solved lots of problems caused by the  badly made old style 928 pre pump 

You need ( from Porsche genuine ) }

928 201 081 04       pre filter , this normally comes with the seal as well in the box , just make sure its there

928 356 550 05       special dia fuel hose for the pre filter assembly  , its larger dia to suite the larger dia outlet from the pre filter

All you have to supply is new clamps  , but I would recommend a new main ( external fuel filter at the same time )

Note } the 928 pre filter was used on all the 944 , 951 , 968 models ,  no pre pump used on those Porsche cars ( thank God )

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all have my car back still with fuel tank issue. Received purchased fuel tank however repairer took 3 weeks to do nothing, caught him lying to me and told him to put original tank bank and ill have to find someone to help me out in Victoria. Also hope that Tony from Das9 is willing to refund for the tank i bought as ots slightly different to mine and doesn't bolt straight in.

Archived