"World's smallest and longest lasting fire extinguisher"

Has anyone seen these solid material, flare type fire extinguishers for sale in Australia?

They seem to have a lot going for them.  The claims I like are,

- lightweight

- maintenance free

- longer discharge time

- and they look easy to use

I have no affiliation.

https://elementfire.com/

interesting product I can see huge pros to having a few of those ,,,my only concern would be if there are any health risks from the chemicals that make up the extinguisher gas ...

Most of the 1kg size units many fit in their cars are unless ,,seen it many times at the track , competitor has engine fire ,,stops car in safe place ,,this take a minute ,,gets out of Harness as quickly as possible another 30 seconds ,,screws around trying to pull pin and use extinguisher ,,, by this time things are really ablaze ,cracks open the 1 kg extinguisher empties it in around 10 seconds and then stands horrified waiting for the fire marshals because the 1kg couldnt do the job and his pride and joy is still burning  ...

3 or 4 of those on hand would be a better thing to have easy to store due to size and pack a decent punch give you better chance while the safety safari deploy ...:cool07:

This is very interesting. Particularly as I have been reading a Pistonheads thread a couple of days ago following a pommy guys build of a 986 with an Audi turbo V6 conversion. He had 2 small extinguishers in the car, and he used both of them to no use and watched his car go up in flames. Maybe a couple of these could have helped.

17 minutes ago, Raven said:

interesting product I can see huge pros to having a few of those ,,,my only concern would be if there are any health risks from the chemicals that make up the extinguisher gas ...

Most of the 1kg size units many fit in their cars are unless ,,seen it many times at the track , competitor has engine fire ,,stops car in safe place ,,this take a minute ,,gets out of Harness as quickly as possible another 30 seconds ,,screws around trying to pull pin and use extinguisher ,,, by this time things are really ablaze ,cracks open the 1 kg extinguisher empties it in around 10 seconds and then stands horrified waiting for the fire marshals because the 1kg couldnt do the job and his pride and joy is still burning  ...

3 or 4 of those on hand would be a better thing to have easy to store due to size and pack a decent punch give you better chance while the safety safari deploy ...:cool07:

Exactly. Hands up if anyone who is not a properly equipped trained fireman has successfully put out a sudden large fire. Fire is big , scary and it hurts. Learn to run is the best advice.

11 minutes ago, MFX said:

This is very interesting. Particularly as I have been reading a Pistonheads thread a couple of days ago following a pommy guys build of a 986 with an Audi turbo V6 conversion. He had 2 small extinguishers in the car, and he used both of them to no use and watched his car go up in flames. Maybe a couple of these could have helped.

it is pretty common in weekend motor sport ,,, CAMS only require a 1kg on track days and limited speed events ,,,its just not enough when oil and fuel are in the mix ...........The 4kg electric bombs are the way to go ,,plumb them into engine bay with lines ,,,,,hit the button on the move and generally have it out before you stop ..

But some of those strapped on the cage or drivers door card as extra,s would be good ...

Never seen those blaze cuts before that,s another good idea ,,I can see the pro,s for having one or two in an engine ...:)

Just checked out the Element web site and you can buy the extinguisher sticks online ,,,,pretty reasonable priced ,,,,just not sure if they mail to Aus ...

I wonder if they would do a group buy? I have sent them a message, will see what they respond.

Edit: Here's their reply...seems I wasn't the only one who messaged them :D

Timm,

Please excuse the generic reply but our offices have been swamped with recent enquiries from Australia for some reason and we cannot answer all of them individually.

Our extinguishers are not certified for and consequently cannot be sold in the Australian or New Zealand markets, nor can they be shipped via air service.

Please note that if you attempt to have these ordered and shipped to a North American address and then forwarded to Australia they will be seized by Australian authorities and you may face serious penalties under IATA regulations.

Best Regards,

Paul Calisi

I wonder if it is the chemicals in them that is causing the lack of certification.  You can do quite a lot with the full sized extinguishers that you see on the wall of office blocks, apartments etc but those little ones (and I am guilty of having one of those in the car as well) are pretty useless in an engine bay fire situation.

I am interested in an  a couple extinguisher stick  just need to find out if they ship to Oz,,,,,, one for P car in glove box or Door pocket just in case  and one for the race car close at hand ,,for added safety and extra peace of mind they only weight 230 grams mount it  in the cockpit ,,,,why not can not hurt ...

Even your normal extinguisher is considered "Dangerous Goods" under ICAO and IATA regulations and must be transported as such.  The only reason that you see them on aircraft is that they are considered "Exempt Dangerous Goods" when they are required equipment.

The problem I see is that the mini extinguisher produces heat and smoke and it needs to be tested for certification for these reasons as well as it's compatibility with other goods, including your pets, whether DG or not, any secondary hazards, packing requirements, quantities that can be carried and can it transported safely as well as, emergency procedures should one self activate or if damaged. Are the chemicals involved toxic, corrosive, etc.

After all it is basically a flare.

That,s a good point raised by Oz930   and I could see how it would be considered DG  ...Out of interest has any one every purchase an extinguisher from over sea,s for there car eg a rennline or some thing similar ... 

40 minutes ago, Raven said:

That,s a good point raised by Oz930   and I could see how it would be considered DG  ...Out of interest has any one every purchase an extinguisher from over sea,s for there car eg a rennline or some thing similar ...       

I tried to import one to fit this Brey Krause mount that I stupidly got without taking into consideration that local ones wouldn`t fit. Couldn`t import one but ended up sourcing   one locally at great cost             

2yWj1z0.jpg

FUQfddy.jpg

• 3 months later...

IATA = air regulations.  Sounds like a shipping issue not a ‘puttin out fire issue’.

If shipped by sea I’m sure no problems.  Note that the same issue face a lot of things like drones that have big batteries.

while on the topic careful where you park your car.  

VDiuAUL.jpg

pQIBO2q.jpg

there was a Boxster parked about 15m away with a melted front, but otherwise ok.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Alex69T said:

I thought I'd give one a try (well, hopefully not!).

It easily fits in the '69 map pocket.

IMG_1667.thumb.JPG.4ee54e13434bdbc56a3202ad2df4b3c6.JPG

I still have the old one mounted between the rear seats.  You never can be too sure (just like wearing two condoms 😄)

IMG_1672.thumb.JPG.8061ac74021f950c2ce6af947ac14e56.JPG

I am also interested in one of these ,,,how much did one cost ...??

• 1 year later...

No but for $165 they are a good thing to have I have one in my open wheeler race car close at hand ,,, down side of the seat ,,just as a back up for the fire bomb system and it also gives me the option if its a small fire rather than letting the bomb off ,,would be good in any Road car stored in a door pocket of glovebox ,plenty of online video of different brands showing their effectiveness ..