Dan Ricciardo to leave Red Bull

LeeM

Official word from Red Bull that Dan will leave the team at the end of this season.

It seems Mercedes is sorted with Hamilton and Bottas and most other teams are basically there to make up the numbers, so unless he's accepting/accepted some serious coin from Mclaren or Williams, it's gotta be Ferrari I hope

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think it would be Renault, so he must know something we don't, or they're throwing lots of cash at him (was asking for $30million sign on to Ferrari I think). As he says he needed a new challenge, so let's hope for his sake it gives him a chance to win a title, yet as long as Mercedes and Ferrari are competing I don't think he has a very good chance unless he is that much of a better driver than the current Renault line up

What ever takes him to the top of the podium ,,,,,he clearly has the talent ,,he just needs a good team and car behind him and we could have another world champ ....Some times you have to take a risk and try another team to motivate a drive him to the top spot .............best of luck to him I hope he gets there 

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

I didn't think it would be Renault, so he must know something we don't, or they're throwing lots of cash at him (was asking for $30million sign on to Ferrari I think). As he says he needed a new challenge, so let's hope for his sake it gives him a chance to win a title, yet as long as Mercedes and Ferrari are competing I don't think he has a very good chance unless he is that much of a better driver than the current Renault line up

I’d love the challenge of spending $30M Froggy dollars!  Allez Daniel. 

1 hour ago, tazzieman said:

It's got nothing to do with money.

I'd say it isn't too and more like Red Bulls decision to run Honda engines next year. Not to mention the well known fact the Red Bull boss wanting another European driver next to Verstappen who seems to be becoming a bit of a diva like Vettel and Hamilton. Whatever the reason, I just hope he's able to fight up front

I read a story the other day where Mercedes were really interested in Dan but that spoiled little brat (I will let you figure out who that is) didn't like that idea and veto'd it.

His excuse was he was happy with his team mate.

Read between the lines and of course he is happy with his team mate as he (team mate) follows team orders and will let (spoiled brat) finish in front of him.

I don't know Dan but I suspect spoiled brat would get a blood nose (either figuratively or actually) if he told Dan to move over and I for one would personally shake Dan's hand for doing that.

I don't think you need to read between the lines to know what I think of that spoiled little brat.

I'm not saying he can't drive but his attitude SUCKS (although I would love to have the talent to find out if I would have the same attitude however I suspect I wouldn't).

Please lets not get into a slanging match about the drivers as he (spoiled brat) is no orphan in that respect.

Ok to all the spoiled brat lovers please be gentle with me? (I know I'm going to regret posting this?)

I was a little shocked to read this news about Dan last night but after reading some commentary on it today I think it's a brave move. I can understand his desire to build a new team around him as a number one driver and with a team that has the desire to reach the top step. Alonso succeeded twice with Renault in recent years to here's to hoping Dan's timing is right. He deserves a car to be fighting for the championship. I just hope Renault get their engine performance and reliability sorted in the next 6 months...

I read that it is rumoured the financial offering from Red Bull was materially less than that paid to Verstappen, given he has outscored him last year and is ahead this year that is a bitter pill to swallow.

Given the Honda engines have not yet set the world on fire the 2019 Red Bull has questionable pace to be a genuine front runner, plus if it is a front runner Red Bull has history of favouring which ever driver has Helmut Marko's favour (which is clearly not Daniel) and he is faced with the prospect that he has very long odds of being World Champion at Red Bull and at least driving for Renault his destiny is in his own hands. 

22 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Elite sportsmen do it for glory not money. Once you've made your first 5 mill you're pretty much set up financially, unless you're dozy like Johnny Depp.

After your manager’s 10 points, the 25-30 points for 10 years that your benevolent early formulae ‘supporters’ are due, the cost of the Monaco ‘base’...netting that first $5M takes a little while.

The money (number) is a barometer amongst those who were born super competitive, so I reckon it’s a THING.

13 hours ago, OzJustin said:

I was a little shocked to read this news about Dan last night but after reading some commentary on it today I think it's a brave move. I can understand his desire to build a new team around him as a number one driver and with a team that has the desire to reach the top step. Alonso succeeded twice with Renault in recent years to here's to hoping Dan's timing is right. He deserves a car to be fighting for the championship. I just hope Renault get their engine performance and reliability sorted in the next 6 months...

I can tell youre old like me because the most recent Renault success with Alonso was nearly 15 years ago now!

agreed he has to go into the team as demonstrated no 1.  Webber got shafted by red bull and I reckon that weighs on a lot of people's minds.

Personally I see Ferrari being the next one to have a run of wins.

42 minutes ago, KGB said:

After your manager’s 10 points, the 25-30 points for 10 years that your benevolent early formulae ‘supporters’ are due, the cost of the Monaco ‘base’...netting that first $5M takes a little while.

The money (number) is a barometer amongst those who were born super competitive, so I reckon it’s a THING.

No doubt.. might be set for life financially, but there is still a figurative contest for who can leave the highest mark on the wall.

40 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

There is a saying we use in athletics as motivation, where there is certainly no money for the many gruelling hours. 

No-one remembers second.

……..except the person that came second :wacko:

1 hour ago, tazzieman said:

And his/her mum

When I raced karts, I watched a father call his under 10 year old racer 'First of the losers' then pack up and leave a meeting because his son came second in 2 races. Just shows some parents have issues they need to deal with

On 8/4/2018 at 2:41 PM, tazzieman said:

Elite sportsmen do it for glory not money. Once you've made your first 5 mill you're pretty much set up financially, unless you're dozy like Johnny Depp.

Yeah sure thing.

1 hour ago, TINGY944 said:

Yeah sure thing.

Of course they get addicted to the attention whores and the cost of maintaining them!

It's the entertainment industry after all.

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

When I raced karts, I watched a father call his under 10 year old racer 'First of the losers' then pack up and leave a meeting because his son came second in 2 races. Just shows some parents have issues they need to deal with

The worst parents are living their lives vicariously through their kids. 

2 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Of course they get addicted to the attention whores and the cost of maintaining them!

It's the entertainment industry after all.

The worst parents are living their lives vicariously through their kids. 

That's all parents then.

So the "best parents" do what exactly?

8 hours ago, tazzieman said:

There is a saying we use in athletics as motivation, where there is certainly no money for the many gruelling hours. 

No-one remembers second.

That must really motivate athletes. Look how Australia dominates the World in this area. Who made this saying?

6 hours ago, tazzieman said:

And his/her mum.

Anyone in sports happy with second place is easily beaten next time.

This is my favorite. Is this a quote?

im sure these quotes are all ironic & sarcastic.. An old mate of mine used to spout/quote this nonsense, he never won a single thing, he picked it up from some rubbish self help books and was an instant expert!

Archived