Dan Ricciardo to leave Red Bull

LeeM

10 hours ago, Arnage said:

This is my favorite. Is this a quote?

im sure these quotes are all ironic & sarcastic.. An old mate of mine used to spout/quote this nonsense, he never won a single thing, he picked it up from some rubbish self help books and was an instant expert!

No. quotes should always be 1. checked that they were actually ever said by someone else and 2. in quotation marks. Sarcasm is the wit of a fool. Irony is a bit like bronzy. If you have a British sense of humour and grew up with the Pythons and Blackadder , you will understand. If not , the Meaning of Life will be obscure!

No one remembers third either.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A chance meeting at Sydney Airport.  

A young guy by himself, heading to the Melbourne GP carrying his helmet.  My son and nephew walk over and say hi. He said he was surprised anybody knew who he was.  They said "we thought we would say hello now because in the future we wouldn't be able to get so close."

How true and so down to earth.

Good luck with Renault.

What else is there to discuss at this stage?

Will he be sculling Bollinger out of his booty in '19?

What will his decision do for the price of classic Renaults in Australia?

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/f1-rival-brutally-trolls-ricciardo-renault-move-000723511.html

'Renault, of course, weren’t too happy that their rival team had stolen their social media thunder."

28 minutes ago, ANF said:

Dan has done something that maybe Mark Webber should have done...… <_<

Yes agreed. I think all things considered MW got probably the best out of his career that he could have without extreme luck on all fronts. I'm a fan!

I'm part reading the Webber bio atm and they shafted him bigtime at RB re Vettel always the golden boy -  getting all the advantages over Webber despite Webber's record and performance superior to Vettel at the many times of advantage preference. So many politics behind the scenes in a team. Webber's hands were always tied as he had nowhere near the financial backing of Danny Ric and was 5 or 6 years older than DR at the times he wanted to jump ship. DR is a "better" driver overall with a higher profile and more backing and younger …. world at his feet. All he needs is the right car and team and a bit of luck like all of them and he'll be world champ. Let's hope Renault comes to the/his party!

Part of the art of being a top F1 driver is being in the right car at the right team and working your way through internal politics when you are there.  This is also coupled with the business side of things which is more than just getting yourself a large salary but also setting yourself up for the future post F1 with a long term career.  This is not just about income post F1 but also about having interesting things to do challenge you and to keep your profile.  Aligning yourself with a manufacturer gives you a lot of opportunities post your F1 career.

When MW stayed at Red Bull he was driving what was either the best F1 car or close to the best F1 car in the field and this meant he got to drive what was effectively the fastest car in the world and got to win races despite being number 2 driver.  Ferrari or McLaren would potentially have paid more but the car would have been slower, plus Ferrari in particular apply brutal team orders and with Alonso as his team mate he would still be no 2 and would have won less races albeit with a very nice company car.  I have a lot of respect for MW and wonder what his career might have been like if he had gone to Renault instead of Williams.  I would say that while perhaps not as skilled as Alonso or Hamilton he certainly had talent equal to or better than Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg both of whom won F1 titles so he had potential to be a champion and his driving performances at Porsche, even though he was not quite as a amazingly fit and was a few years older, were still sublime and world class. 

The Red Bull team that DR finds himself in is not as strong and with the Honda engine would appear on balance of probabilities to be weaker than than this year's Red Bull.  So in this case he would be staying for less money, virtually zero wins.  This way DR is aligning himself to a manufacturer, he is getting a big salary and by virtue of the pay discrepancy between himself and his team mate his the defacto if not official no 1.  He is positioned with a team that has more championship potential for him personally than Red Bull and stronger commercial.  

After 2020 there is I believe a major new set of rule changes coming in and quite often in F1 this can herald a major shift in ascendancy.  DR will hopefully be positioned with a manufacturer team as a team leader and will be well positioned to take advantage of any opportunities that come his way.  Given his other options were Red Bull who appear to have backed Verstappen and McLaren who are barely able to qualify in the top 10 he has picked the team that gives him the best option of winning races in the future and has a known development path.  

If nothing else DR will not die wondering about what could have been.

2 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

So many politics behind the scenes in a team

Especially when your boss is Helmut Marko who only wants Euro drivers 

If you're not European ( Canadian driver Lance Stroll an exception here with a billionaire father) you will have a very steep hill to climb in F1.

Same as MOTOGP really. Unless you have the bones from years of being in the GP paddock (aka Stoner) and good results from lesser classes, it will be a miracle to see an Aussie in a factory team unless they throw a lot of cash at them, yet I don't think even that will work nowadays. Most top level Euro GP riders have been racing since they could walk, and there was always a lot of cash being thrown at good riders, yet the bridge between factory bikes to the customer bikes is becoming bigger all the time, and the big money sponsors are gradually disappearing. I wasn't a fan of Miller, as I thought he was an arrogant little twat who was in way over his head in MotoGP, yet now he's on the Ducati it seems he's found the right bike for him. I'd say Ducati are grooming him for a factory ride within 2 years now that Lorenzo is off to Honda (you wait for the 2019 season, as it will be a cracker!). Let's just hope Dan gets on well with the Renault and shows Red Bull his rear wing a lot more

3 hours ago, ANF said:

I have read his book, not a bad read.

if you liked that you would probably like Mick Doohan's one too.....

Can't recall if I've read that but think I may have years back - I read Stoners book and liked that, always great to see the sacrifices they and their families made and the obstacles they overcome. These guys are supremely talented and driven, I admire that no end... and fuchen brave!

14 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Can't recall if I've read that but think I may have years back - I read Stoners book and liked that, always great to see the sacrifices they and their families made and the obstacles they overcome. These guys are supremely talented and driven, I admire that no end... and fuchen brave!

What Doohan endured was truly amazing, the Stoner one may be worth a read then. I bought Alex Zanardi's book a few years ago, great character and an inspiration but rubbish book, I could not read it all......

Whatever the facts

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/red-bull-boss-christian-horner-reveals-why-he-thinks-daniel-ricciardo-left-for-renault/news-story/90ea669f7d67119e8551a42fb25f3a33

He's 29, and Bolt was 30 when he was at the end of his run.

In a game of reflexes , the young hungry bucks generally oust the old stags.
Best of luck to him with the Renauvation Rescue :lol: It will make for good late night viewing if he's a competitive outfit.

6 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Whatever the facts

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/red-bull-boss-christian-horner-reveals-why-he-thinks-daniel-ricciardo-left-for-renault/news-story/90ea669f7d67119e8551a42fb25f3a33

He's 29, and Bolt was 30 when he was at the end of his run.

In a game of reflexes , the young hungry bucks generally oust the old stags.
Best of luck to him with the Renauvation Rescue :lol: It will make for good late night viewing if he's a competitive outfit.

Only one response to that "sour grapes" oh and what a tosser Horner is.....

1 hour ago, ANF said:

and what a tosser Horner is.....

But he does have an OBE
Jack Brabham had one of those. If Danny Boy plays his game well he might also.
An OBE gets you first dibs at the complimentary wheel of cheese , so it's a worthy gong.

Red Bull is on the way down. Honda have been back in F1 for a few years now and haven't been able to supply a competitive engine, I'd be shocked if they're competitive next year.

Renault have backed a factory team and landed Ricciardo on a big money deal. Renault aren't in F1 to be an also ran, in the very least they're going to field a competitive car next year, up to Merc or Ferrari, probably not. Will it be better than Red Bull? I'd say probably given Honda's performance thus far, and Renaults standing as the 4th best outfit this year. If nothing else, Dan is probably the most marketable driver on the grid, which will be a boon for Renault over the coming years in pushing their product.

Someone was telling me Renault also made a play for Adrian Newey - if that came off, Red Bull as an F1 team would really be sunk.

I reckon Dan made the right move. I don't remember Horner making comments about Vettel being slower when Dan showed up and beat him convincingly until he ultimately left. Does anyone else? He also doesn't have to deal with Helmut Marko anymore, thats got to be reason enough to leave.

It could be that my memory is failing me ;) but I can't remember the last time a team boss slagged off at a top level departing driver. Bad form all round for Red Bull and they have been doing it for years.

How will the Honda bosses handle the inevitable tirade from Horner et al when the engines aren't up to scratch..... 

Archived