Dan Ricciardo to leave Red Bull

LeeM

3 hours ago, ANF said:

Only one response to that "sour grapes" oh and what a tosser Horner is.....

Being a red bull fan, legacy of Webber, I liked the way I saw Horner operate on race weekend and game day and with the media but lost a lot of respect for him after reading Webber's book. Sour grapes and tosser YES!

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Red Bull is on the way down. Honda have been back in F1 for a few years now and haven't been able to supply a competitive engine, I'd be shocked if they're competitive next year.

Renault have backed a factory team and landed Ricciardo on a big money deal. Renault aren't in F1 to be an also ran, in the very least they're going to field a competitive car next year, up to Merc or Ferrari, probably not. Will it be better than Red Bull? I'd say probably given Honda's performance thus far, and Renaults standing as the 4th best outfit this year. If nothing else, Dan is probably the most marketable driver on the grid, which will be a boon for Renault over the coming years in pushing their product.

Someone was telling me Renault also made a play for Adrian Newey - if that came off, Red Bull as an F1 team would really be sunk.

I reckon Dan made the right move. I don't remember Horner making comments about Vettel being slower when Dan showed up and beat him convincingly until he ultimately left. Does anyone else? He also doesn't have to deal with Helmut Marko anymore, thats got to be reason enough to leave.

So so correct

50 minutes ago, ANF said:

It could be that my memory is failing me ;) bbut I can't remember the last time a team boss slagged off at a top level departing driver. Bad form all round for Red Bull and they have been doing it for years.

How will the Honda bosses handle the inevitable tirade for Horner et al when the engines aren't up to scratch..... 

Watch Versmashin leave after a year or 2 as Redbull rides the downhill slope.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And re Tassies news.com.au article above ""In the end we gave Daniel everything he wanted and asked for and it still wasn’t enough.""

Yes everything except AT THE LEAST, equal driver status, support and future confidence in his position-- oh and of course at least equal contract terms and $$$$$$$$$$$$ 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ANF said:

It could be that my memory is failing me ;) bbut I can't remember the last time a team boss slagged off at a top level departing driver. Bad form all round for Red Bull and they have been doing it for years.

How will the Honda bosses handle the inevitable tirade for Horner et al when the engines aren't up to scratch..... 

It happens unfortunately, Magnussen after leaving/being sacked by Renault was criticised, Red Bull/Toro Rosso were not complimentary to Kvyat, Ron Dennis was critical of Prost when he left, Ron Dennis was critical of Alonso when he left (that was a high pressure environment and in the wake of McLarengate they copped a $100m fine which probably makes you a bit grumpy), I also think when Nigel Mansell left Ferrari in 1990 there were some mutual criticisms and when Prost left at end of 91 the team were not too complimentary of him.  

What surprises me is that it was Horner who made the comments as he is normally the good cop to to Helmut Marko's bad cop.

I suspect that criticism of Honda will be limited at least in 2019 for two reasons.  Firstly Honda will provide their engines for free and will almost certainly kick in a significant amount of sponsorship money, this means that they will have more money available for development of the car. Secondly Red Bull know that in the short term their options are limited as neither Ferrari or Mercedes want to provide them with engines and therefore Honda is their only option.  I think Red Bull fully expect the engine to slower than Renault as they seem to be changing their rhetoric regarding 2019 where they are setting expectations low.

Additionally, given potential new rules for 2021 there is hope that new engine manufacturers will come in if the new engine rules are cheaper.  Red Bull F1 have an existing commercial relationship with Aston Martin and the head company has commercial relationships with VAG (Audi/Porsche/VW) so if new manufacturers come in they have options to team up with given that both VAG and Aston Martin have attended forums regarding new engIne rules for F1.  However, if the team has a reputation for being critical of engine partner and not providing good PR getting a new engine manufacturer into the sport (hard enough on its own) to join with Red Bull would be further exacerbated.

I hope all you drinkers of the caffeinated lolly water now switch to the real stuff. 
It has been proven it won't  give you wings , but it will rot your teeth and give you diabetes :Sweating:
Renault , ohon ohon ohon , is all champagne and bordeaux. That's good for your heart! 
Raise your glass to Dan the Man in '19

56 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

I hope all you drinkers of the caffeinated lolly water now switch to the real stuff. 
It has been proven it won't  give you wings , but it will rot your teeth and give you diabetes :Sweating:
Renault , ohon ohon ohon , is all champagne and bordeaux. That's good for your heart! 
Raise your glass to Dan the Man in '19

You’re a knob tazzie, but an admired knob, keep up the great work!

12 hours ago, GC9911 said:

You’re a knob tazzie, but an admired knob, keep up the great work!

As my signature says, "the dumber it is the more fun it is , so let's get on with it"!

Zappa was very observant and correct.

Xb8FbFF.jpg

I was very surprised when I first read about it, but the more I look into it the more it makes sense. It has to be frustrating always breaking down and then getting grid penalties for stuff that’s out of his control. 

I think he knew he wasn’t going to win at red bull, and with Ferrari and merc full, Renault makes sense as the next best option. 2 years back and already running 4th. It’s a bit wishful thinking but I bloody hope they can pull a rabbit out of the hat for Dan over the next two years. 

2 hours ago, ANF said:

This is an interesting look at it and makes  a lot of sense!

https://www.pitpass.com/62614/Horners-Biggest-Mistake

Love this quote from the article:

"Christian Horner made a huge mistake in making Max Verstappen team leader and we can see how big a mistake that was because he has lost Danny Ricciardo, RBR's actual star driver. Horner is supposed to be an arch-strategist, but he did not see how much Renault would win if they lured the one proven winner who was free of contract."

• 2 weeks later...

What a contrast to the drivel that Horner dished up recently, a true professional and all round great bloke!

I do fear that he will never win another race at Red Bull, let alone finish one.... sour grapes Horner vs the consummate professional Dan!!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/8/ricciardo-explains-reasons-behind-renault-move.html

Those Megane RS Trophy/Cup things are sensational.  GT3 of FWD hatchbacks.

I'd have left RB just to shit Horner, and especially that C U Next Tuesday Helmut.  In 2019 I'd put Verstappen into the hay bales first race and tell him if he comes within 5m of me I'll do it again, and again.  All whilst holding a can of V and scoffing an almond croissant.  And if it was 1972, with a Gauloises hanging out. Keke style.  That'd pretty much sort stuff for the year.  The Frogs would love you, especially after you have a Tricolore airbrushed on the lid, Mr Pepe Le Honeybadger.

Send it Dan. 

2 hours ago, KGB said:

I'd have left RB just to shit Horner, and especially that C U Next Tuesday Helmut.  In 2019 I'd put Verstappen into the hay bales first race and tell him if he comes within 5m of me I'll do it again, and again.  All whilst holding a can of V and scoffing an almond croissant.  And if it was 1972, with a Gauloises hanging out. Keke style.  That'd pretty much sort stuff for the year.  The Frogs would love you, especially after you have a Tricolore airbrushed on the lid, Mr Pepe Le Honeybadger.

Send it Dan. 

Such a way with words, you read my mind. I loved Redbull  racing coz of Dan and then Versmashin teamed up I loved him too. Then Madmax terminated a couple of Dan's races and the team shafted Dan, twoface Horner tried to play a straight bat -- Now Redbull Horner and Boywonder can go get stuffed. No quarter given elbows out is how I see it - Go Dan and the frogs

On 8/28/2018 at 8:33 PM, KGB said:

Send it Dan. 

The Megane RS are great little cars, I have a limited edition Monaco GP model- am about to sell it to get a 4WD of all things, chalk and cheese....!

Let me know if any interested PFA-ers here before I advertise :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Airhead said:

Pole position does not a ensure a win. Marko will push the destruct button with 4 laps to go.

Ahh of course it doesn't I'm just wishing him over the line in first place, with all his DNF this year and none his fault he needs all the help he can get! It'll be a race to the button first between him and Horner

The bastards were fighting over who gets to hit the hydraulics button when DR was threatening and soon going after their wonderboy Max.. he'll be happier at Renault just to actually finish! 6 DNF in 12 races is just freakin insane when hardly anyone else has failures

A subtle 'F..k you' from Horner and Helmut for not re-signing with them I imagine 

Man I hope DR flogs Max next year. Did you see wonder boy sook hit the sign after qualifying? Even the bloke that stood it back up gestured 'WTF?' Shame, as I liked Max, though now he's just become another Vettel 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

I didn't notice that (probably on the way to the fridge) … I'm a Versmashin fan but most probably because he joined DR and I'm a DR fan coz he's Aussie and I love his demeanour and capabilities … so in turn a RB F1 fan... now that the smile is off to Renault in all probability MV can get stuffed in my mind, especially if he amps up the bratness… Renault here we come!!!! might even buy a new Alpine :ph34r:.. not a Renault I know but sorta is

I was a Max fan, though he's got too big for his boots now and expects number 1 status. A good driver for sure, but pull ya head in mate! His dad was never like that from what I can remember and was the quiet achiever

Archived