Rear Speakers

Merv

Thanks for that. I can also see a DIY thread elsewhere on the same topic.  The one from the US at $300 looks good though.  

I might do the front/door speakers first however.  What models have people used?

I ended up with Pioneer for everything. 

Replacing the door stuff (sub and mids) did a lot more than the shelf. I'd done the headunit and amp before. 

The shelf kit was about $360 delivered from eBay. User "EuroMotorSpeed", think he makes them and SunCoast sells them. 

I had to buy the shelf too. Was $70 from a breaker in the UK. Again, eBay. 

Fitting took about an hour or two. 

If you have the same speakers as our 987.1 in the door you won't find a 7.5" speaker other than OEM which is pretty poor.

I used Audison AP-8's which coincidentally fit in the plastic mounting bracket holes of the inside door - they are quite shallow and do not interfere with the windows when down. I also used Rockford Fosgate Prime 4", 4 ohm speakers for the mid range and they also fit in the same mounting holes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 12:30 PM, 42 South said:

If you have the same speakers as our 987.1 in the door you won't find a 7.5" speaker other than OEM which is pretty poor.

I used Audison AP-8's which coincidentally fit in the plastic mounting bracket holes of the inside door - they are quite shallow and do not interfere with the windows when down. I also used Rockford Fosgate Prime 4", 4 ohm speakers for the mid range and they also fit in the same mounting holes.

I am now looking at the door speakers first.  So there are 6.5" woofers and 4" mids in each door.  The 4" Rockfords fitted well and you used Audison 8", not their 6.5"?  Did they fit easily?  How is the outcome in your opinion over the stock system?

On 8/26/2018 at 10:30 AM, Merv said:

I am now looking at the door speakers first.  So there are 6.5" woofers and 4" mids in each door.  The 4" Rockfords fitted well and you used Audison 8", not their 6.5"?  Did they fit easily?  How is the outcome in your opinion over the stock system?

The OEM speakers are mounted in a plastic mounting frame. When you remove this, the Audison's are a near perfect fit without the plastic frame - a small adjustment is required to isolate them from the steel inner door and I used some self adhesive foam strips and some small plastic spacers.

Our old speakers had completely come apart, so a significant improvement. The Audisons are a good fit and work well with the head unit. if you can send me your email I can give you some pictures of the fitting, as uploading pictures is limited due to size restrictions.

On 8/28/2018 at 7:06 AM, 42 South said:

The OEM speakers are mounted in a plastic mounting frame. When you remove this, the Audison's are a near perfect fit without the plastic frame - a small adjustment is required to isolate them from the steel inner door and I used some self adhesive foam strips and some small plastic spacers.

Our old speakers had completely come apart, so a significant improvement. The Audisons are a good fit and work well with the head unit. if you can send me your email I can give you some pictures of the fitting, as uploading pictures is limited due to size restrictions.

Seems the Audisons (AP8) are impossible to find right now, in Aust or elsewhere.  They are a great speaker it seems.  If anyone knows of any ...

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Merv said:

All fitted now and an impressive improvement.  Nice solid base and midrange now.

Good to hear. It's defo the better upgrade, the rears give a little more 'fill', but the doors do most the work I feel.

Any photos of your handy work?

Not really now that the door cards are back on.  I followed the sequence sent separately by 42 South (Mark) who also used the 8" Audisons (almost unobtainable now as they are excellent quality low profile, straight base speakers and OOS everywhere) and the Rockfords mids.  Both bolt straight in to the existing mounts and wiring with minor adjustments only to the mounts.

OK let's see how this goes:

IMG_1267.jpg 

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

The Fosgates are a far better than the original ASK speakers (size, weight, design) and the Audisons are very solid and smooth and just give that extra base needed in an open car.  You could spend a lot of money on sound systems on these cars but they are sports cars and may not get the full value for money.  These options add enough to make the system demonstrably better IMO.  I already have the Sound Plus Package (non-Bose) and the dash mounted tweeters are all fine and integrate well with the new door speakers, with no apparent upward or downward masking effects. I also like the plug and play aspect, without having to deal with the rewiring and impedance challenges of new 2-way or 3-way speakers. 

Nice. I totally agree with the comment about only doing so much. A car is a poor place for music stage anyway. Then throw in either FM broadcast of poor quality MP3s as a source and you'll never get "perfect".

But being able to actually hear the music, or take a phone call, with the roof down at freeway speeds is always a bonus.

Hoping to fit a reverse cam to my setup this weekend. Then I'm done as far as the stereo goes.

Archived