Oil change 915 gearbox

Neggy

Just wondering what oil you use in the 915 box? Don’t want to open a big debate, I’ve read lots about swepco etc, just want to use something that’s readily available. Was going to use penrite mineral but then saw that they have an additive in for lsd and was worried that won’t be good for syncros. Suggestions please.

I'm a fan of the Kendall oil as recommended by Peter Zimmerman, I used the Swepco for years before changing over to the Kendall. I found it to give a slight improvement in cold shifting.

Out of curiosity, where are you guys buying Swepco from these days?

C4SdMu4.jpg

12 minutes ago, 81SC said:

I'm a fan of the Kendall oil as recommended by Peter Zimmerman, I used the Swepco for years before changing over to the Kendall. I found it to give a slight improvement in cold shifting.

To be honest I've never noticed any difference between cold (I live at 200m altitude in Southern Tas) and hot in my SC. But I am just a study size of one!

3 hours ago, Neggy said:

Just wondering what oil you use in the 915 box? Don’t want to open a big debate, I’ve read lots about swepco etc, just want to use something that’s readily available. Was going to use penrite mineral but then saw that they have an additive in for lsd and was worried that won’t be good for syncros. Suggestions please.

Yeah - I would like to get some Swepco  in Melbourne.

Here is a tip on refilling your 915 in winter. Dont assume that you have enough oil in your gearbox when it initially overflows out the filler hole. In the cold, the 90 W oil takes a long time to flow into the front of the gearbox - so pause for 10 minutes & wait for this to happen, you will be surprised at how much extra you have to add to get it to the right amount.

So I am going to go against the common thoughts on this. :) I have tried the swepco, the penrite equivalent and on the advice of a Porsche mechanic I know who also races, I have now thrown in Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75w/90. Its the best its ever been. Priced right and very readily available. 

Thanks for the help, I would do the Kendall oil but again I can’t find any locally, the castrol sounds good but I’m not sure about using fully synthetic, Im probably over analysing everything, I just want to do it right. How long have you been running the castrol? Thanks for the tips Zelrik911, I’ll be sure to take my time. 

Yeah, it’s a minefield of opinion. I suffered through many of the threads out there. :) I have run the Castrol for about 12 months. Just changed it recently for the first time as I do track the car a bit. But it’s also the best performer when street driven. Can’t recall now why people shy away from synthetics in them? People seem to also shy away from synthetics in air cooled engines but I have tended to go against the grain there too :)  

It’s not a big job to change it and the Castrol and some others aren’t expensive, so if it doesn’t work out for you, you can always drop it and roll the dice again. 

7 hours ago, Teutonic said:

I suffered through many of the threads out there..... 

LOL, you're not alone!

Thanks for posting this discovery.  After hearing your endorsement and reading the spec sheet (Castrol even mention Porsche in their recommended Applications), I would happily use this oil in my 915 if I still had one.  For my last 915 I bought a case of Kendall from Amazon US and on sold the extra oil I didn't need but the thought of just popping down to Repco to buy the 3 litres I exactly need is far more appealing.

Good work!

https://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/products/cars/axle-and-universal-fluids/syntrax-universal-plus-75w-90.html

Archived