Is the manual 993 variant of the 911 the most tightly held Porsche

58 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

The really old 911 are real driver's cars :CoolDance: that are held tightly by really old men for centuries :Laughter: until they get really really old and unable to actually get in them :ConfusedGeek:
Then they stand at look at them for another decade before :RockingDeath:
That's my view...& plan.

As Jerry Seinfeld described his 73RS . . . dead guy's car.  "I bought it from a dead guy, and it's not getting sold again until I'm dead. This car doesn't change hands without someone dying."   Having said that, some of the guys on the TYP901 forum seem to flip their cars pretty regularly.

I definitely wouldn't say that a 993 Turbo is a "lazy Porsche".  I think Porsche absolutely nailed that car . . .  I kick myself for not picking one up when the pricing was still at $125k.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, npvpositive said:

I definitely wouldn't say that a 993 Turbo is a "lazy Porsche".  I think Porsche absolutely nailed that car . . .  I kick myself for not picking one up when the pricing was still at $125k.

I think the lazy comment was with respect to the na version.
I once enquired about a manual 993T owned locally. The owner had bought new but was too scared to drive it...and too scared to sell it to me!
Then  of course prices went mental....at a time I had 3 lads in private school uniform.

17 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

I think the lazy comment was with respect to the na version.
I once enquired about a manual 993T owned locally. The owner had bought new but was too scared to drive it...and too scared to sell it to me!
Then  of course prices went mental....at a time I had 3 lads in private school uniform.

I know someone who bought an immaculate 993TT from Rob Raymer for around $90k, and he thought he paid too much. I don't see them being $90k ever again

I paid 100 for a beautiful 993TT and sold it 2 years later for 250 just before they went to "300" and hahahaha ""400"" - now a year later back at around the 250's is realistic. I will never own another one unless they drop and I pay wholesale. Not that I didn't like it, I absolutely loved it. They are the absolute pinnacle AC roadgoing everyday all round supercar if you ask me. But I refuse to own a 250k car unless it's heading north at a good rate and if it is I wont drive it often or at length. Not my idea of fun with cars and usually there's way easier ways to grow your money. Instead of a 993TT I'd have 996 GT3 any day of the week and at a bit over half the price if that was my direction. 

To the topic, no I don't think usual 993 mans are held any more tightly than any other usual AC models

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

I paid 100 for a beautiful 993TT and sold it 2 years later for 250 just before they went to "300" and hahahaha ""400"" - now a year later back at around the 250's is realistic.

Wow your a very lucky man $150K profit in 2 years good for you. Question would you be a happier man with that car in the garage owing you $100K and the ability to  drive it when ever you liked in the knowledge no matter how many glorious driving kms you put on the car you most likely would never loose any money ever.

They probably seem tightly held because,

- only 4 main years of delivery (1994 - 1998), with very few delivered in 1998

- in those days many were bought as daily drivers and therefore in Tip transmission

- 1994 - 1998 was not the peak of economic growth, and therefore less cash/demand

https://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/773A6631B093D973C1257241001F396A/$File/993-911Website150708.pdf

229 Carrera Coupe manuals were delivered into Australia.

IMHO

15 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

Wow your a very lucky man $150K profit in 2 years good for you. Question would you be a happier man with that car in the garage owing you $100K and the ability to  drive it when ever you liked in the knowledge no matter how many glorious driving kms you put on the car you most likely would never loose any money ever.

Absolute luck that I brought when I did Scott, I wasn't even actively looking for a Porsche. No if I still had it I wouldn't be a happier man with the above scenario, I'd sell it. I sold it because I brought it as a daily driver and did just that, put 10000ks on it first year and then business snowed me under the following year and I just didn't have time to get it out hardly ever - usually drove my van.  Couldn't justify driving a car worth $250 because of the thought of damage, vandalism, accident and risk of everyday damage to the car. I then brought a 996TT for a fair bit less than half what the 993TT sold for.

BUT …. I have a pretty different view on owning Porsches than most I think. I'm happy with driving Boxsters  or 996's, I'm always after value and would never buy one unless I buy it at wholesale rates or I think it's on a good upward trend. 

If I was absolutely passionate with a particular model (under 2010) at around $100 and just had to have it, I wouldn't worry about losing a few bucks  by how many ks I put on it, I just love driving. Porsche sports cars are great value and if you buy one that's not on the depreciation curve (2018 to 2008/9 etc), if you do your homework and buy well you can put 15ks a year on it and not lose $$$$ or not too many of them, and sometimes make some.

I think most guys here if they had brought a $100k car they loved and still loved years later, that was now worth $120, 150, 180, would drive the pants off for enjoyment and not worry about not making as much on the future sale.

29 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Absolute luck that I brought when I did Scott, I wasn't even actively looking for a Porsche. No if I still had it I wouldn't be a happier man with the above scenario, I'd sell it. I sold it because I brought it as a daily driver and did just that, put 10000ks on it first year and then business snowed me under the following year and I just didn't have time to get it out hardly ever - usually drove my van.  Couldn't justify driving a car worth $250 because of the thought of damage, vandalism, accident and risk of everyday damage to the car. I then brought a 996TT for a fair bit less than half what the 993TT sold for.

BUT …. I have a pretty different view on owning Porsches than most I think. I'm happy with driving Boxsters  or 996's, I'm always after value and would never buy one unless I buy it at wholesale rates or I think it's on a good upward trend. 

If I was absolutely passionate with a particular model (under 2010) at around $100 and just had to have it, I wouldn't worry about losing a few bucks  by how many ks I put on it, I just love driving. Porsche sports cars are great value and if you buy one that's not on the depreciation curve (2018 to 2008/9 etc), if you do your homework and buy well you can put 15ks a year on it and not lose $$$$ or not too many of them, and sometimes make some.

I think most guys here if they had brought a $100k car they loved and still loved years later, that was now worth $120, 150, 180, would drive the pants off for enjoyment and not worry about not making as much on the future sale.

That makes sense. Smart man 

5 hours ago, clutch-monkey said:

993 is a sledgehammer but with prices being what they are, you’d have to really love one to get it over a cheaper/more livable/faster 996 turbo? 

Can the 993 turbo match the 996  turbo in the mod department.  eg circa 60 extra hp for 6k. Or is tweaking a 993 turbo sacrosanct.

5 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

Can the 993 turbo match the 996  turbo in the mod department.  eg circa 60 extra hp for 6k. Or is tweaking a 993 turbo sacrosanct.

Are they not fast enough? 

Your just such a boost junky! :lol:

14 hours ago, clutch-monkey said:

993 is a sledgehammer but with prices being what they are, you’d have to really love one to get it over a cheaper/more livable/faster 996 turbo? 

Am I the only one here to think the turbo tail on the 993 Turbo is hideous and reminds me of a wilted mushroom and 993 NA's and both the earlier and later Turbo's are much better looking?

In fact the tail end of the 993 NA's are perfectly sculptured.

I know 993 Turbo's are sacrosanct but I think the 996 Turbo's look just right by comparison and have the other benefits Sam alludes to.

10 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Am I the only one here to think the turbo tail on the 993 Turbo is hideous and reminds me of a wilted mushroom and 993 NA's and both the earlier and later Turbo's are much better looking?

I know 993 Turbo's are sacrosanct but I think the 996 Turbo's look just right by comparison and have the other benefits Sam alludes to.

Like Cindy Crawford’s mole

3 hours ago, Peter M said:

Looks pretty good to me and looks a progression of the preceding tails. The 996 one is quite tame in comparison to the 964 and 993.

Mushrooms you say, you have not been sampling "special" ones..... :P

14 minutes ago, ANF said:

Mushrooms you say, you have not been sampling "special" ones..... :P

I actually regret I didn't say "toadstool" as that's what I really think.?

But you are right, each to their own and diversity makes the world interesting.

So when can we get onto characterising the owners?

That's when we really get to troll some people!

3 minutes ago, Peter M said:

So when can we get onto characterising the owners?

That's when we really get to troll some people!

We need some sort of profile pic for that @Peter M :D

Differing views definitely, imagine is everyone only loved 911s..... :ph34r:

41 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Thread hijack, sorry ...… I pretty much agree Peter, IMO the arse end with the melted tail and also front end on side profile looks "droopy" and the headlights are not the best style and I really dislike the joins in the panels where the guard meets the bumper under and around the headlight to the bonnet especially on any colours that aren't dark. The bonnet is too short.

BUT  when standing back and looking at various angles of the car together I think it looks pretty much perfect in style all over. The hips, height of panels and the length of cabin vs length of front guards are all perfectly proportioned and pull it all together beautifully. Overall in the looks department it is a beautiful tough 911 turbo shape. Time doesn't stand still and I think from the 930 through the 964 993 996 to 997 the Turbos are all pretty much perfect in style for their eras.

54 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Thread hijack, sorry ...… I pretty much agree Peter, IMO the arse end with the melted tail and also front end on side profile looks "droopy" and the headlights are not the best style and I really dislike the joins in the panels where the guard meets the bumper under and around the headlight to the bonnet especially on any colours that aren't dark. The bonnet is too short.

You're right, the spoiler could have been designed by Salvador Dali!

However, I disagree, I love the rest, including the narrowed wiper pivot points.  Give me  a NA 993 in Lapis blue and blue interior and I reckon that's pretty well perfect.

See I'm not really a hater!?

On 8/14/2018 at 5:55 AM, Scott SS964 said:

@dipstick I  asked for views however I DID NOT ASK for a pointed attack this is a forum for Porsche discussion for enthusiasts of the brand, my comment was openly unqualified, so save your judgemental comments for someone else.

Sorry Scott.

I misuderstood the topic.

And the most tightly held Porsche, is?

On 8/17/2018 at 10:05 AM, dipstick said:

Sorry Scott.

I misuderstood the topic.

And the most tightly held Porsche, is?

Apology excepted....

and i am none the wiser on the topic. 

3 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

and i am none the wiser on the topic. 

You'd have to knock on the Pelican's house to gain true wisdom.
PFA is a just a country garden of pretty opinions B) Now & again you have to spread some manure for best results. 

On 8/14/2018 at 9:41 PM, smit2100 said:

Ask Kevin :)

Don't know that I'd really do it with one of those other than say a 1 bar tune and a set of ZC Turbos.  They are lovely things to drive and more a point to point car than something you'd track with any seriousness, it takes a bit to get them well sorted for that work and with the march of technology there's better, newer, faster stuff around.  

• 5 weeks later...

New to consider a 993 as a possible purchase.

Can I ask if the 1995 onwards Varioram engine is any more easier to service than the M64/05? 

I recently met an older chap close to where I live with an extensive collection of 964 and older 911s and he told me to search out a 993 as a great model to start into the air cooled world. But he has never owned one so did not know about serviceability of the M64/05 versus M64/21 engines.

Thanks

Both variants have hydraulic valve lifters so that makes one service chore non existent over earlier engines.

However the extra oil filter on the 993’s add cost and time, but in nutshell servicing a 993 isn’t an issue, varioram or not

Archived