Is the manual 993 variant of the 911 the most tightly held Porsche

On 22/11/2018 at 18:53, MR901 said:

993 buyers tend to be very picky on km’s and originality compared to 901 or G series buyers (I have no idea why). I suspect that the combination of modifications, km’s (despite rebuild) & non various ram are dragging it down. All silly reasons in my view....go take a look !! BTW, my 993 is a manual non varioram & I never felt it’s lacking in anyway....

good luck....

Find a real low mileage g- series.  They don’t really exist outside of collections.  Long hoods are virtually unknowable without comprehensive documents.  Ac they are all do old it’s more about the condition than the miles.

The 993s sold in low numbers to people determined to have a 911.  Like Ferrari’s they seem to all have been spared the road.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about being the most tightly held, but I can say that after over 25 years of Porsche 911 ownership, the only cars that are still with me are my 993s and a 964. All in manual. I never owned a tip version of the car though I did drive my brother in laws once and it was really not an experience I would need to repeat.

As for values I see that as they have dropped out of favour with the Porsche buyer due to the outlaw movement and the retro dating they have become more and more of a great buy. I see these cars at least holding their value and may even revive again in 20 years when my kids take over the cars. Just waiting for all the people that grew up drooling over the 993tt in posters to become mature 50 year olds looking to revive their youth. 

If it sold!! Then one nostalgic buyer bought one with side vents !!! For 700 plus .

Some people have the vents in a 996TT , could push those prices up too 😀

I own a couple of the cars I want ,but hope the arse falls on the 993 wide bodies then I can buy another non spoilered version 😂

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone happen to remember the asking prices for the manual 96/97 cars listed on pages 2 & 3?  I can only see they've sold but no price.

There isn't much on the market right now and the asking prices seem very high, given people have mentioned the 993 isn't in vogue.

On 28/12/2018 at 12:28, Jwitt74 said:

Does anyone happen to remember the asking prices for the manual 96/97 cars listed on pages 2 & 3?  I can only see they've sold but no price.

There isn't much on the market right now and the asking prices seem very high, given people have mentioned the 993 isn't in vogue.

Unfortunately for buyers there is never many 993's on the market; maybe let us know what your after and we can give an opinion.

1 hour ago, Scott SS964 said:

Unfortunately for buyers there is never many 993's on the market; maybe let us know what your after and we can give an opinion.

My wish list is going to make me sound picky and unrealistic!  :-)

Looking for something to own for 10-15 years so I really don't  mind waiting a bit and paying a fair price.  Definitely needs to be an Aus delivered coupe or targa in manual. Varioram ideally and preferably not modified. Higher milage doesn't bother me in the slightest, if it's been treated well.

2 hours ago, Jwitt74 said:

My wish list is going to make me sound picky and unrealistic!  :-)

Looking for something to own for 10-15 years so I really don't  mind waiting a bit and paying a fair price.  Definitely needs to be an Aus delivered coupe or targa in manual. Varioram ideally and preferably not modified. Higher milage doesn't bother me in the slightest, if it's been treated well.

I would have thought that is a reasonable ask you'll find most 993's have not been permanently modified, some of the worthwhile mods people tend to do is upgrade the suspension and maybe lower the ride height, tweak the exhaust for slightly deeper sound.

993's delivered to Australia   image.thumb.png.2dd28098c515c9c7d77a039741deb979.png  

11 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

I would have thought that is a reasonable ask you'll find most 993's have not been permanently modified, some of the worthwhile mods people tend to do is upgrade the suspension and maybe lower the ride height, tweak the exhaust for slightly deeper sound.

993's delivered to Australia   image.thumb.png.2dd28098c515c9c7d77a039741deb979.png  

A matter of timing I suppose. The two on carsales now are $165k and $170k which seems incredibly expensive and obviously why they've been sitting for a while.

On 30/12/2018 at 08:35, Jwitt74 said:

A matter of timing I suppose. The two on carsales now are $165k and $170k which seems incredibly expensive and obviously why they've been sitting for a while.

You're possibly right although there are a number of factors to consider and not having seen either of these cars i can't really comment.

other things to consider --

Varioram or pre - Australian numbers 106 pre varioram and 123 Varioram C2 narrow body manuals came into the country between 94 and 97. The general advice amongst enthusiasts is that in an increasingly threadbare secondhand market don't let varioram or lack of it , stop you from buying a good pre-varioram example. Find the very best car for your budget a C2 or C4 varioram or the earlier 272hp car will all give you the true 993 experience.

Kms - There are very few low km (under 100kms)  cars these days and if so you would expect to pay an unusually high premium for this car; if you are like me you probably wouldn't use it much due to this fact.  As you say I wouldn't be personally put off by high kms. As always buy on condition. The engines are very tough if looked after and serviced properly with the need for a top end rebuild not nearly as common as it is on the 964's.

My Journey as an example - when i was looking I had similar requirements as you, my main criteria however was a C2 narrow body manual (the base car Porsche used for the RS) to be honest for a long time i was feeling dejected with the lack of cars around for sale. The ones i did look at given the age and various histories always varied in some way - In the end the car I fell for was an Aus (Hamiltons) delivered matching numbers 1994 993 C2 Manual, pre varioram car with a genuine 230,000+kms on the clock it has been owned by 4 Victorian Porsche enthusiasts inc me. The car presented immacualately for the age and kms and drove the same. As expected it has been serviced as per the suggested schedule (oil every 5000kms) with all the expected parts replaced/refurbished  etc... Note: the engine has not been rebuilt top or bottom and does not require it.

Have you looked at this pre varioram car?  If so what are your thoughts? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1995/OAG-AD-16478958/?Cr=1

1 hour ago, Scott SS964 said:

Have you looked at this pre varioram car?  If so what are your thoughts? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1995/OAG-AD-16478958/?Cr=1

Ive only seen the pictures but might check it out in person during the week. The only modification that bothers me is the dash retrim - Id buy assuming the dash beneath is damaged so unsure how difficult/expensive they'd be to replace.

Archived