2019 GT4

Gday everyone

I know there's been a bit of talk on the threads re the potential new GT4 for 2019.

Got a deposit down but very interested in views on what engine people think is going to power the car.  I've read a few sites and talked to people supposedly in the know that suggest the new engine could well be a de-tuned version of the current 991.2 gt3 4.0l. 

Supposed testing videos on youtube (see below) leave me wondering though - split exhaust layout looks very much like the layout for the current 991.2 911s. Exhaust note also doesn't sound flat 6...

What do you all think? Anything other than a 4.0l flat fix would be a deal breaker for me! 

That Video has been around for a while now ,,,,there is a massive thread or debate on the Rennlist about this some say it will have a 4.0 NA flat six other say Turbo 4 or Bi turbo 3.0 six ,,it is hard to say the direction Porsche will go ,and it seem to be very closely Guarded secrete ...

26 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

From what I have gathered so far, all points to the same 3.8L with a slight increase in power.

Definitely not a de-tuned version of the current 991.2 gt3 4.0l.  

I agree with Jim. The latest talk is just X51 upgrade to the previous 3.8L engine. This is from people he have actually driven the prototype Club Sport for race track only version. But interestingly I had a chat with someone who should know over the weekend and was told the street car hasnt been signed off on yet. May not happen at all. Its all rumors so we will know what is fact when it gets released but if it does, it will not be the GT3 engine. 

1 hour ago, Raven said:

There are a lot of used GT3 cars currently on the market ,,,,,991.1 cars have dropped to  around similar prices as the 997.2 ,,it is a pretty good market in terms of choose ...

Totally agree, plenty to choose from. I still think I'd take a current GT4 at sub 200k prices if I was in the market for a "newish" GT Porsche. 

24 minutes ago, hugh said:

Totally agree, plenty to choose from. I still think I'd take a current GT4 at sub 200k prices if I was in the market for a "newish" GT Porsche. 

over 10 GT4,s and more than 35 GT3,s ..........largest volume of GT cars in a long time ,,,and not mention 20 RS ....

I remember  4 years ago when I purchased my 997 C2 s ....there was only around dozen GT3 s on the market and prices were going through the ozone layer in six months 996 GT3 went from $100K to $150k and pushed me out of the market ..    

Good topic...

I agree with the posts above.. i also think the new GT4 will be a lot more $$$ then the previous.. 20% increase at least. If you are interested in a GT4 I would suggest snapping up some of the current bargins sub 190k. There is one for 188k with full CS pack with low kms. Seems like a great deal to me.

If you are interesting in tracking in particular the car is an absolute beast and so enjoyable to drive. In terms of value for money I believe nothing is better.. especially when you talk about reliability of all the parts.

If you want more power its very inexpensive to get another 50hp with simple bolt ons. Such as the fabspeed gt450 pack. I also feel the current GT3 cars are very large cars and the GT4 is a real sports car in terms of size.... I do love the GT3 997 series for this reason over the 991 series.

I was contemplating upgrading to the new GT4, but thinking about what I paid, and the amount of enjoyment I get from the sound, speed and handling of the car, I can't see the point. 

I do hope the next GT4 is a flat six and not a 4 ..............I personally think that the last flat 6 981 Cayman and Boxster are better cars than the 718 and the best of those two models made  ,the NA  flat 6 engine over the turbo 4 any day 

I know on paper they are faster and Porsche made improvements all round ,,,,, It is just that the Turbo flat 4 isn,t my preferred engine choice ,,,I like the previous model more ..

I doubt they'll try and flog the GT4 as a four banger turbo after the negativity the world responded with when they launched the 718 range

The cars in the video are racing Clubsport's, so I don't think that is a good guide as to what engine the road cars are going to run

16 hours ago, Raven said:

There are a lot of used GT3 cars currently on the market ,,,,,991.1 cars have dropped to  around similar prices as the 997.2 ,,it is a pretty good market in terms of choose ...

Heaps of GT4s too. Very tempting at sub 200k! I have steered a few new-to-Porsche mates that way. One knucklehead bought a 430 and within days it was on a flat-bet on its way back to the dealer. I resisted saying, "I told you so!".

20 minutes ago, lazydave said:

What do folks think about  potential future values of the current gt4 vs a 991.1 GT3?Guessing the 911 pedigree will be a clear winner but interested in people's thoughts.  

If Porsche get it wrong with the New GT4 eg its not as good or better than the current car,,,,,,,You could see the price of the current GT4 ,s raise ,,,,The 991.1 GT3 has lost considerable value in the past few months and could even fall further ..The 911 GT market is considerably large at the moment ..

The only Negative to the GT4 was the gearbox issue but that really hasn,t had a bad impact on their value they seem to be holding strong .. 

2 hours ago, Raven said:

If Porsche get it wrong with the New GT4 eg its not as good or better than the current car,,,,,,,You could see the price of the current GT4 ,s raise ,,,,The 991.1 GT3 has lost considerable value in the past few months and could even fall further ..The 911 GT market is considerably large at the moment ..

The only Negative to the GT4 was the gearbox issue but that really hasn,t had a bad impact on their value they seem to be holding strong .. 

Very good points Raven.

The supplier of the gears had a weld issue but all that has now been rectified. 

Seems to affect 2016 builds.

Good to see Porsche replacing with new complete boxes no questions asked, even modded cars.

I'm guessing replacing will continue outside of warranty as well.

• 1 month later...

Interesting guess from CarAdvice comments, quoting some random P forum:

An insider on a Porsche forum (one who has reliably "predicted" specs on every forthcoming GT model) has seen the final cars and confirmed the GT4 and Spyder have the same engine but it is not the GT3 engine. It's the previous 3.8, bored out to 4.0, plus X51 kit to make 420hp. However, there does exist a GT4 RS mule. The RS mule HAS been fitted with the GT3 engine. No decision on production of the RS has been made yet.

3.8 bored out to 4.0 with some (or all) the following items added
- new intake manifold with modified cross-section (material: sand cast aluminum );
- new intake pipe supports adapted to the form of the intake manifold;
- new exhaust manifolds with larger cross-section and optimized flow behavior;
- new cylinder heads with optimized, CNC-milled inlet ducts;
- new camshafts with larger valve stroke on the inlet side and modified inlet and outlet timing;
- inlet valve springs adapted to the enlarged valve stroke;
- modified partition box in the oil pan;
- modified maps for the DME control module.

On 8/18/2018 at 7:31 AM, Raven said:

On 8/18/2018 at 10:25 AM, Jimmy said:

Very good points Raven.

The supplier of the gears had a weld issue but all that has now been rectified. 

Seems to affect 2016 builds.

Good to see Porsche replacing with new complete boxes no questions asked, even modded cars.

I'm guessing replacing will continue outside of warranty as well.

I have seen a release from PAG that clearly states that the GT4 will get the 6 spd box from the GT3 this time around.

13 hours ago, Jimmy said:

That's old news. 

The latest is still 3.8L

Thanks for the latest.

The last I heard about the gearbox options was that the manual would come out first, followed by the PDK 6 months later. Waiting on the latter myself.

• 3 months later...

Archived