Amazing road I would love to return to and have a run on closed roads!

My lap was on a road bicycle as part of a USA 3 week peak bagging trip and this was the toughest of all the climbs I've ridden so far around the world! Like the neighbouring Mt Evan's which is the highest paved road in North America, this tops out at just over 4300m but with gradients over 10% near the top!

35 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Amazing road I would love to return to and have a run on closed roads!

My lap was on a road bicycle as part of a USA 3 week peak bagging trip and this was the toughest of all the climbs I've ridden so far around the world! Like the neighbouring Mt Evan's which is the highest paved road in North America, this tops out at just over 4300m but with gradients over 10% near the top!

Holy crap - 48km ascent with 2011m of climbing at 5%. Not too steep but that altitude would suck the life out of you!

I did spend the previous 9 days slowly moving across from the West coast working my way up increasingly higher climbs to acclimatise, but still found both Mt Evan's and especially Pikes Peak a real challenge!

At 4300m, studies show Functional Threshold Power output is around 72% compared to that generated at sea level! Which is why EV cars have such an advantage at Pikes Peak... The air really is thin at that elevation!

Pikes Peak was a bucket list drive for me after watching Peugeot 205s climb the mountain years ago - had the opportunity to drive it 10-years ago while living in the US but sadly not in a Cayman GT4 Clubsport but rather a Chevy Suburban rental with the family of 6 and luggage on board! For obvious reasons, our time was not memorable but the road and scenery is spectacular.

4 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

It makes everything since seem OH&S, PC and downright soft

I remember when that came out. I have it on a VHS video in the back of a cupboard somewhere. love that bit where he puts his hand up to shield from the sun glare. 

10 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

I once sealed a deal on buying a 406 by having the dealer throwing in a copy of this.  Pity it's on VHS rather than DVD.  Hell, that goes to show how old I am...

Ari Vaatenen is the master.

Climb Dance & Rendezvous are the 2 best automotive films ever....

I attended Leadfoot at Rod Millens (Pikes Peak legend - I am not a kiwi BTW - lol) ranch last year, a couple of bends from Pikes Peak built into the track (the driveway up to his ranch). Rod and Reece ran a couple of cars on the day. Drivers and cars from US - Tanner Foust in a GT4 Clubsport, NASCAR drivers etc. Highly recommend ???

Archived