Porsche design blunders, errors and things you just don't like!

ANF

Heading says it all really!

Some, as has recently been written, do not like certain parts of a 993.... :P

For me the guard join (between the headlight and bonnet) in the 997 (and now 991) is just plain wrong and wreaks of a sloppy, rushed design! I know why it was done, to get away from the "hated" 996 headlights, but Porsche you could and should have done so much better, cohesive it is not and all designs before it, in and around this area, are much better......
This design FLAW really bugs me!!

2594_998GT3F1.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Me the Panamera ,,,,both the SUV .s and the Taycan .................only interested in the sports car range 

On my 997 some of the painted interior pieces are " CHEAP CRAP" and the heater and fan switch ,the og finish on those is just crap on 997.1 cars common for the paint to wear off and expose the white plastic underneath  ... 

I have a Isuzu ute that is 18 years old with 387 000 klm on the dial and all its switch s still look pristine ..

10 minutes ago, JV911 said:

The Panamera, specifically the rear. Should have been a proper sedan rather than designing a back end based on a bloated, washed-up whale carcass. 

The main problem with the Panamera, and really pretty much any Porsche of the last 20 odd years, is that they are all designed to have a "family resemblance"! (ie, 911 cues....)

Bring back the days of the transaxles, when they deigned cars to look different!

12 minutes ago, ANF said:

The main problem with the Panamera, and really pretty much any Porsche of the last 20 odd years, is that they are all designed to have a "family resemblance"! (ie, 911 cues....)

Bring back the days of the transaxles, when they deigned cars to look different!

Bring back a front engine transaxle sports car ................eg a modern 928 to rival the AMG cars ,,Aston Martin and front engine Ferrari,s ..

It would with out doubt be a best seller ..Not doing so is a blunder...

9 minutes ago, Raven said:

Bring back a front engine transaxle sports car ................eg a modern 928 to rival the AMG cars ,,Aston Martin and front engine Ferrari,s ..

It would with out doubt be a best seller ..Not doing so is a blunder...

They have a platform, the Panamera, but doubt they would make it transaxle ever again, just a typical front engine rear drive layout, which would be a shame...

There are many stories of a Panamera coupe, but this misses the mark!

For me the biggest blunder on a $200-300K car is the lack of protection on the radiators. They put mesh screens on the GT3 but not on lesser???? ($300K) cars. I have witnessed radiator failures from stones through the grilles & into the radiators, especially in road rally/tour situations. How can they acknowledge there is an issue by fitting screens to GT3 & not the rest, are stones only an issue at 275kph but not at 200kph ( ah that’s better, maybe should be in vent). 

A car that can wreck its own bodywork by flicking gravel etc. up from its own front tires. This is even worse in a 4WD Turbo. To often the artistic takes precedence over function and practicality which is ok for art but crap when you want drive and use the car. 

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

A car that can wreck its own bodywork by flicking gravel etc. up from its own front tires. This is even worse in a 4WD Turbo. To often the artistic takes precedence over function and practicality which is ok for art but crap when you want drive and use the car. 

and they've had 40 years to fix that problem....my 76 turbo...

IMG_9226_zpsfn7yidhi.jpg

2 hours ago, Redracn said:

Happens on the 996 as well with genuine approved 5mm spacers

Oh and for me the fact Porsche continue to supersede parts (like the original Mobil1 engine bay sticker) or you can't buy parts without buying the entire part (can't think of an example).

3 hours ago, GC9911 said:

For me the biggest blunder on a $200-300K car is the lack of protection on the radiators. They put mesh screens on the GT3 but not on lesser???? ($300K) cars. I have witnessed radiator failures from stones through the grilles & into the radiators, especially in road rally/tour situations. How can they acknowledge there is an issue by fitting screens to GT3 & not the rest, are stones only an issue at 275kph but not at 200kph ( ah that’s better, maybe should be in vent). 

Until the 991 they never put mesh in the GT3’s either (do they actually put it on the 991? I don’t know)!

I heard an explanation once that the reason they were not fitted is leaves would gather and block the airflow to the radiators, but that seems to be on the contrary! The most concerning item I’ve picked up in those vents is a pair of wire strippers on the track ... ?  some people shouldnt be allowed near cars and tools in the same room. 

Anyway, I am sure I could nitpick every porsche ever built for flaws, but I’ll just keep the rose coloured shades on and keep flogging them, you tend to forget about that crap when you’ve got it on the limit ... ?

There used to be a thread on this on Pelican or Rennlist. It went on and on.
For an expensive car back last century, using plywood and cardboard in "moist" areas was an interesting choice.
As for the door pulls in AC 911s. Shame! 
Heavy iron weights to counteract oversteer in the early 911s. They'd be highly collectable doorstops nowadays wouldn't they?
Toyota quality plastic in 98/996s...

The electrical system / wiring that didn't change from 1965 to 1989.

On mesh, the addition of mesh will decrease the airflow reaching the radiator.  Even gauze screening from windows and doors reduces airflow by a large amount, somewhere around 40% from memory.  So there could be an efficiency reason....or it could simply be economical reasons.

1 hour ago, Stepo said:

A/C in G series cars, obviously the need for good heaters in Germany over-rode the need for a cold air.

The cars were originally designed for use in cool alpine switchback conditions ;) 
So in that regard , Porsche are absolved.

When they added the body coloured headlight trims to the IB cars, they changed the flowing line of the fender. So when you look along the top it slopes away nice and gentle, then whoops, there's a bump there.  And the shape of the targa back glass in profile is all wrong, but unfortunately, there was no option there.

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Having any association with the Kardashians ...............:Chuckle2:

Luckily they can't drive stick,  so at least the classics are off limits. Other than sportos. Even then , I doubt that oxygen thieving family could cope.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:19 PM, edgy said:

Until the 991 they never put mesh in the GT3’s either (do they actually put it on the 991? I don’t know)!

I heard an explanation once that the reason they were not fitted is leaves would gather and block the airflow to the radiators, but that seems to be on the contrary! The most concerning item I’ve picked up in those vents is a pair of wire strippers on the track ... ?  some people shouldnt be allowed near cars and tools in the same room. 

Anyway, I am sure I could nitpick every porsche ever built for flaws, but I’ll just keep the rose coloured shades on and keep flogging them, you tend to forget about that crap when you’ve got it on the limit ... ?

As opposed to leaves gathering on the radiator and blocking airflow..? Haha

4 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Luckily they can't drive stick,  so at least the classics are off limits. Other than sportos. Even then , I doubt that oxygen thieving family could cope.

Bruce or Kate or what ever his or her name is this week has had a long association with the brand .......owned a few 911.s over the years .and crashed a few ..........Tranny having rear enders ..............:Chuckle2:

Just now, Raven said:

Bruce or Kate or what ever his or her name is this week has had a long association with the brand .......owned a few 911.s over the years .

Just proves you can't stereotype a 911 owner anymore than a Coxster owner :D
http://www.celebritycarsblog.com/2015/10/bruce-jenner-porsche-914-for-sale/

Archived