Porsche design blunders, errors and things you just don't like!

ANF

2 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Just proves you can't stereotype a 911 owner anymore than a Coxster owner :D
http://www.celebritycarsblog.com/2015/10/bruce-jenner-porsche-914-for-sale/

I saw him in a image from the mid 80,s racing a 944 ,,,he was still the big field and track star then ............not the queen he is now ..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Didn't know this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2955271/The-tragedy-Bruce-Jenner-s-little-brother-Burt-killed-fireball-crash.html

Back on script , I think it's a design blunder when Hollyweird celebrities are allowed behind the wheel of any performance car

Natural selection doesn’t care about the means of delivery.

4 minutes ago, ANF said:

FFS! How does a thread get to here...… :blink:

To continue reading , go to the Pelican blunders thread!

In the meantime , the 928 14 pin engine harness connector is placed just where the water can go, esp when the little plastic cover is taken off and lost.
A few inches from the baking hot exhaust.
The battery "boxes" of 924s and 944s drain poorly and rust out.
AC 911 gauges fog up
Of course stuff happens to other makes as well. But IMO I originally equated Porsche design quality with aircraft quality.
At least the 928 was designed to fail in the safest way possible, if when it failed.

52 minutes ago, ANF said:

FFS! How does a thread get to here...… :blink:

Tazzie promotes/invites the abstract, I love the way this site wanders of track, you know how it is, you end up at “now, what were we talking about?”

On 8/15/2018 at 11:12 AM, Raven said:

For Me the Panamera ,,,,both the SUV .s and the Taycan .................only interested in the sports car range 

On my 997 some of the painted interior pieces are " CHEAP CRAP" and the heater and fan switch ,the og finish on those is just crap on 997.1 cars common for the paint to wear off and expose the white plastic underneath  ... 

I have a Isuzu ute that is 18 years old with 387 000 klm on the dial and all its switch s still look pristine ..

The SUV's are worth a steer, our Macan GTS had no issue being right up the clacker of a new 991 on the Targa Tour this year which was actually holding us up and was much quicker point to point than the Cayman's/Boxster's we were running with.  They are quite surprising and don't drive like an SUV when you are "up" them.

Design wise I'm taking some time to warming up to the new rear tail light strip from yesteryear. 

1 hour ago, GC9911 said:

Tazzie promotes/invites the abstract, I love the way this site wanders of track, you know how it is, you end up at “now, what were we talking about?”

Catch & release is humane yet sporting ;<)

1 hour ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

The SUV's are worth a steer, our Macan GTS had no issue being right up the clacker of a new 991 on the Targa Tour this year which was actually holding us up and was much quicker point to point than the Cayman's/Boxster's we were running with.  They are quite surprising and don't drive like an SUV when you are "up" them.

Design wise I'm taking some time to warming up to the new rear tail light strip from yesteryear. 

Just drove a GTS Macan around Qld raceway, amazing! Then went for a lap with Luke Youlden driving, holy fword Batman, absolutely insane, no SUV should go like that, mind bending to say the least in the hands of an expert.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:23 PM, Tit said:

the crazy button placement on 964 and 993 dashes.

You only say that because you've not had a G series. Switches in the most obscure places.

• 1 month later...

Not being able to readily access the battery in the event of battery failure on the 987. The electronic hood release won't work, so you have to somehow jimmy up an external power source to the fuse relay and pop the hood so you can access the battery. Either Porsche has a lot of faith in their units or it was a major oversight! Haven't had to deal with it, but I'm always conscious of any signs!

Other that that, the soft touch finishes on some of the interior plastics leaves much to be desired. Give one a steely look and the finishing will peel before your eyes. I've had to deal with this also on previous BMWs, so I'm used to it.

31 minutes ago, Goon said:

Not being able to readily access the battery in the event of battery failure on the 987. The electronic hood release won't work, so you have to somehow jimmy up an external power source to the fuse relay and pop the hood so you can access the battery. Either Porsche has a lot of faith in their units or it was a major oversight! Haven't had to deal with it, but I'm always conscious of any signs!

Other that that, the soft touch finishes on some of the interior plastics leaves much to be desired. Give one a steely look and the finishing will peel before your eyes. I've had to deal with this also on previous BMWs, so I'm used to it.

In that case, include 986, 996 and 997.  Not sure about 981 / 991 though, suspect it is the same....

You deal with it via the +ve terminal in the panel on the RHS of driver's footwell, and -ve on to the frame, such as door hinge.  It does work......  Either a spare battery or one of the Lithium jump starters.

41 minutes ago, Goon said:

There are also emergency release cables: http://philipraby.co.uk/2013/07/25/porsche-boxster911-emergency-bonnet-release/ 

7 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

There are also emergency release cables: http://philipraby.co.uk/2013/07/25/porsche-boxster911-emergency-bonnet-release/ 

Dan, just read that article, sounds like it's a bit hit and miss as to which side the cable is, and even then quite difficult to pull.  I think we'll just call it a design "feature".....

3 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Dan, just read that article, sounds like it's a bit hit and miss as to which side the cable is, and even then quite difficult to pull.  I think we'll just call it a design "feature".....

Its even worse on the 996... they improved it on the 997!!

46 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

In that case, include 986, 996 and 997.  Not sure about 981 / 991 though, suspect it is the same....

You deal with it via the +ve terminal in the panel on the RHS of driver's footwell, and -ve on to the frame, such as door hinge.  It does work......  Either a spare battery or one of the Lithium jump starters.

Either a spare battery or one of the Lithium jump starters.

Yes Yes Yes - I have a good Lithium jump starter (made in USA?) & its got me out of trouble lots of times recently on 'new' & old cars including an old school diesel.

Recommend getting one as essential in the P car toolkit. 

I found the cable release for the boot on my 986 whilst playing with the exhaust. Not easy to find as it is between the bumper panel and some heat proof alloy sheeting. So I went searching for the frunk one. Much easier to find. Ask me to find them now three years later? Location is in the drivers manual though. 

35 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

Either a spare battery or one of the Lithium jump starters.

Yes Yes Yes - I have a good Lithium jump starter (made in USA?) & its got me out of trouble lots of times recently on 'new' & old cars including an old school diesel.

Recommend getting one as essential in the P car toolkit. 

As long as it isn't stored away in the frunk and you have a flat battery? 

Mine sits behind the drivers seat on the floor in the 996.  Otherwise I have a spare battery and jumper leads in the garage....

Both my 987 and 997 have a cable you can pull to open the frunk once you open the door. Just like opening the bonnet on a typical car. 

So where should they have put the battery? I think it could have been much lower but then it would need to be accesed from underneath. But doing this would make it a better sportscar. Compromise and priorities. 

12 hours ago, Redracn said:

Both my 987 and 997 have a cable you can pull to open the frunk once you open the door. Just like opening the bonnet on a typical car. 

So where should they have put the battery? I think it could have been much lower but then it would need to be accesed from underneath. But doing this would make it a better sportscar. Compromise and priorities. 

Check the cable on the 987 - I think it only opens the petrol flap

The digital dipstick on the 987 drove me crazy. I could turn on the reds check the level, turn off and on again and it would be different every time. Just give it a real dipstick next to the oil filler.

4 hours ago, 42 South said:

Check the cable on the 987 - I think it only opens the petrol flap

If you peel back the frunk liner just behind the catch you can see the silver braided wire cable that goes off to the passanger side. My R definitely has the frunk emergency release. 

Personally I think there are so many design faults with Porsche cars that we should all sell ours...flood Carsales and Gumtree with the sub-standard design icons to send a strong message that we will not accept the crap they have dished out for so long!! :-).  We demand better...much better!

Archived