the New 992 911!

911virgin

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it looks lovely – a car I’d love to get in with the Mrs and drive some lovely roads on my way to Daylesford for a weekend away. Lovely.

But do I want to chuck it around Reefton Spur? Meh… I’m sure it would be amazing. The problem is Porsche don’t make it look like it would be. To be fair, they’re somewhat between a rock and a hard place when you consider the audience for a brand new Carrera S. Add to this Porsche’s penchant of taking itself waaaaay too seriously when producing any kind of video or advertising material. With this in mind and considering the demographic profile of their target market, they present the car as a luxury Grand Tourer, sliently and calmly carving it’s way through cities and sweeping country roads.  

I watched this video and thought I really need to see Chris Harris wringing its neck in anger to get any sense of the excitement that I’m sure lurks beneath it’s ever widening rear end. Because Porsche do a really good job of making it look like about the least fun one can have in a rear-engined thoroughbred…  

1 minute ago, ANF said:

911 tradionalists hate to see change, stems from the fact that the 911 went for so long without major change.

I'm no traditionalist. happy for change and overall, i think there are some good developments here. I'm sure the car will be amazing. I have a bigger issue with how Porsche market it.

1 minute ago, Andy73 said:

I'm no traditionalist. happy for change and overall, i think there are some good developments here. I'm sure the car will be amazing. I have a bigger issue with how Porsche market it.

I am agreeing with you :)

1 hour ago, Andy73 said:

Yeah, I watched the LA launch  video... Agree Andy, the shpeel  was .... how should I say this in a very articulate, technically astute way....  bloody boring as canary shit! Get Chris Harris out there, yes! Or maybe Maria Sharapova...? 😎

2 hours ago, Andy73 said:

I think it looks lovely – a car I’d love to get in with the Mrs and drive some lovely roads on my way to Daylesford for a weekend away. Lovely.

But do I want to chuck it around Reefton Spur? Meh… I’m sure it would be amazing. The problem is Porsche don’t make it look like it would be. To be fair, they’re somewhat between a rock and a hard place when you consider the audience for a brand new Carrera S. Add to this Porsche’s penchant of taking itself waaaaay too seriously when producing any kind of video or advertising material. With this in mind and considering the demographic profile of their target market, they present the car as a luxury Grand Tourer, sliently and calmly carving it’s way through cities and sweeping country roads.  

I watched this video and thought I really need to see Chris Harris wringing its neck in anger to get any sense of the excitement that I’m sure lurks beneath it’s ever widening rear end. Because Porsche do a really good job of making it look like about the least fun one can have in a rear-engined thoroughbred…  

Looking at that vid it seems to me that they really are trying to appeal to a different demo, won’t be surprised if they get-former  gt3 owner Caitlin Jenner to do the forthcoming gt3 adds.

20 hours ago, Raven said:

2020-porsche-911-1.jpg

Those lights remind me of the Cylons in Battlestar Galactica from the 70's 

14 minutes ago, Raven said:

If they do he or she or it could talk about the 8 speed tranny .....................:Chuckle2:

Is that called the Caitlyn gearbox? 

1 hour ago, K911 said:

There’s a configurator available on the US site. There options for gold wheels and black calipers.

Its about time they offered a little more variety in the wheel and calipers ..........I saw a couple of the test cars with silver calipers and the Porsche logo color in the matching body color and thought it was a sharp look ...

I cannot get over how such a small increase in the front and a 10 mm ride height reduction makes the front end look so much longer and the cabin seem more towards the rear.  Just look at the silver one in the promotional photo above ^^^^

Pretty much what I expected. Nice but maybe as I get older the classic lines and shape continues to grow.

only thing I don’t like is the continued size increase. Longer and wider again than the 991 building. Smaller one may be an unexpected delight?

8 hours ago, Raven said:

Its about time they offered a little more variety in the wheel and calipers ..........I saw a couple of the test cars with silver calipers and the Porsche logo color in the matching body color and thought it was a sharp look ...

Yes, true...but I am a little surprised that PSCBs do not appear to be an option. I was pretty confident that they would bring these brakes to the 992 as a halfway house from the iron brakes to the PCCBs.

The 3/4 shots from the rear make it look like there is something missing - or is that just me? Forget the aesthetics for a second, it just seems like its too flat or something? I'll have to check what the 991 looks like from that angle when I get home.

As suspected with all the camo off it, I like the overall package, the interior is really nice but there is definitely a few areas of detail I am not mad about, such as the rear end light strip and the front end panel lines, also no NB is kind of shit... 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

As suspected with all the camo off it, I like the overall package, the interior is really nice but there is definitely a few areas of detail I am not mad about, such as the rear end light strip and the front end panel lines, also no NB is kind of shit... 

When all said and done, if someone gave one to me, I think I'd take it, even if there were some parts of the design features I didn't like.... 🙂 

So if the 911 had turned into the Cayman GT4 instead of the 991, what would people hate more?  The loss of rear seats and change to mid engine?  Or the rear engine and rear seats kept, but bloaters are continued ad infinitum?

Personally I would be less disappointed about going mid engined but staying smaller as opposed to becoming longer and wider with every new version.

Archived