Insurance

Dom

1 hour ago, edgy said:

Or try your luck with Shannon’s to see if you have the golden handshake or not 

Is that some secret under the table hand shake ? ?

From my experience Shannons have fallen behind the eight ball ?.

Porsche and Famous are great recommendations IMO.

15 hours ago, Philbee said:

There’s a few threads on this, type “insurance” in the search field and read a few of the threads,eg. “All things insurance”... FWIW, I’m with Ryno.

+1 for Ryno - best I could find.

Just remember a cheap yearly fee may not equate to a positive experience if things go tits up.

Agreed value

Choice of Repairer (and only using new parts)

NCB Protection

These are key phrases to find in policy statements

19 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Is that some secret under the table hand shake ? ?

From my experience Shannons have fallen behind the eight ball ?.

Porsche and Famous are great recommendations IMO.

I don’t know, some folks seem to “have it”, I do not! ? 

Recently was insured with them and it was just poor, then too expensive come renewal. 

Porsche and Famous I have been insured with both, good product and no issues with claims. 

8 minutes ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Who does Porsche's insurance Edgy?  Did you get discount for multiple vehicles? 

At the time I was insured with them, it Great Lakes who was the underwriter iirc. 

I didn’t have multiple cars with them at that time, but I do now with Famous and it is a big saving over Shannon’s, plus a better cover tbh. 

Joe is the man to talk to at Porsche insurance 

59 minutes ago, edgy said:

At the time I was insured with them, it Great Lakes who was the underwriter iirc. 

I didn’t have multiple cars with them at that time, but I do now with Famous and it is a big saving over Shannon’s, plus a better cover tbh. 

Joe is the man to talk to at Porsche insurance 

Second that with Joe at Porsche Insurance.  We used to have cover with them and they were great to deal with.

35 minutes ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Second that with Joe at Porsche Insurance.  We used to have cover with them and they were great to deal with.

Another plus one for Joe. This year my policy was underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited. Last year it was underwritten by QBE Insurance, as at the time I didn't have a garage (only a carport open to the street) and they were fine with that. Both Shannon's and Lumley's at that time wouldn't give me a quote because of this...

10 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Another plus one for Joe. This year my policy was underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited. Last year it was underwritten by QBE Insurance, as at the time I didn't have a garage (only a carport open to the street) and they were fine with that. Both Shannon's and Lumley's at that time wouldn't give me a quote because of this...

Ryno was similar.  We are currently building so my car was on the street (no one would insure it being parked on the street).  Ryno was happy to insure for agreed value as long as it was parked off the street in a carport/ front of the house. 

Good to know about Ryno Jason. I bought another car earlier this year (classic JDM not a Porsche) and so will be looking around next year to see if I can get a better deal for my 3 cars including DD. All except the DD are garaged now which will open up more options too...

• 3 months later...

bumping this thread! 

We are looking at Boxsters at the moment, I thought other than the online quotes I had got from the normal suspects for insurance, I best call my insurer (Famous) and see about adding it to my policy... I am not sure how well the person I spoke to listened to me or whether he did in fact check my existing profile because he asked me all the same questions that my profile would answer.

Anyway, the point was, they were obscene money compared to even NRMA, they put it down to the fact I am proposing that I park a convertible out of a garage (so were clear, in my driveway on my property, not visible from the road and behind the house ), and that is a HUGE risk, he was quite smug about it actually, implying I am idiot or something, well, I understand the "risk factor", but never before have they been more money than even NRMA or GIO etc... if he'd bothered to read my policy, he'd of also seen what goes in the garage, and ironically they also insure a Nevco trailer for the same $$ as the Boxster, which is parked on the same property... I'd argue a trailer is somewhat easier to make off with? :lol: 

Anyone else have this experience with a similar parking situation

Simmilar insurer issue. Daughter has a bingle and when I drop into the preferred repairer he warns me I’ll have issues with NRMA as they changed the policies from preferred as standard to opt in for additional 10% premium. Wtf mrs didn’t see this when she paid the policy. Many calls lots of fuss 20+ years with them so back dated the policy and  paid the premium all sorted.

rang Shannon’s as a comparison. Choice of repairer etc and Macan policy cheaper than NRMA however daughters CX5 marginally more. Overall still ahead so switching post repairs

although my cars alternate between garage and street I still list them all as garaged as I’m more concerned accidents happen driving it than it being parked at home. 

In your case probably higher risk parked at the shops than at home so I don’t get it.

Similar issues with my 930, not insured if left in drive overnight at home, only in the garage. However I can park it on the street overnight provided it is on a street more than 500metres from home address (multiple quotes all said similar things)! :blink:

I'm with Ryno.  Best quoted price for my 944 with agreed value.  They would not however insure it if I park it on the street in front of my house (normal suburban street).  They were however more than happy to insure it if I park it 5 meters away in my open driveway.  Madness.

Shannon’s has always assessed and paid out within with days for me.

when the Gtr got a bingle in the rear quarter earlier this year they had it in a repair shop the next day and kept it til the job was done right - damn near repainted the whole car. Mint job.

when the Datsun has an engine bay fire it was assessed within two days, classed as an insurance write off not stat write off, and back home within a week with a cheque for the full value in the mail the next week.

given that what I pay is ballpark with everyone else, having a hard time moving companies when I know if it comes to crunch time they sort it out quick and painlessly.

1 hour ago, clutch-monkey said:

Shannon’s has always assessed and paid out within with days for me.

when the Gtr got a bingle in the rear quarter earlier this year they had it in a repair shop the next day and kept it til the job was done right - damn near repainted the whole car. Mint job.

when the Datsun has an engine bay fire it was assessed within two days, classed as an insurance write off not stat write off, and back home within a week with a cheque for the full value in the mail the next week.

given that what I pay is ballpark with everyone else, having a hard time moving companies when I know if it comes to crunch time they sort it out quick and painlessly.

I'm thinking the same - my policies are due for renewal, and when we got the 981 I spoke to Famous (as noted before in this thread I think), and Famous were nearly double for the 4 cars, although they do offer the $10k track cover....  Then tried Ryno as lots of good comments here, but these must from mainly AC owners I think, as cars need to be more than 25 years old!!!  I am about to give Porsche Insurance a buzz but pretty certain I'll stay with Shannons.  Certainly no complaints about the service and claim I had with Shannons earlier in the year for my little bingle in the 996

I've just gone through it with Shannons. 

Mostly a good experience, yet I'm still waiting for a cash settlement we agreed on 3 months ago for my damaged rims instead of repairing them. He's having a hard time trying to find the original cost of my Ronal rims to settle it all  🙄

36 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I'm thinking the same - my policies are due for renewal, and when we got the 981 I spoke to Famous (as noted before in this thread I think), and Famous were nearly double for the 4 cars, although they do offer the $10k track cover....  Then tried Ryno as lots of good comments here, but these must from mainly AC owners I think, as cars need to be more than 25 years old!!!  I am about to give Porsche Insurance a buzz but pretty certain I'll stay with them.  Certainly no complaints about the service and claim I had with Shannons earlier in the year for my little bingle in the 996

When my triumph spitfire convertible top was damaged- they sourced some new old stock from the UK to replace it!

• 3 months later...

I had an interesting call from the guys that repaired my car last year regarding insurance companies ripping people off etc.

To cut a long story short, it took Shannon's nearly 6 months to pay me $1000 for my rare Ronal rims (I reluctantly accepted it just to finish the claim). The assessors claim to me was that he couldn't find the original purchase price of the rims to get a good idea what to pay me (I'd say they're from the 80's or early 90's so good luck with that). He apparently asked many different shops and even called Porsche Australia who had no idea nor had they ever heard of the rims, so I had Buik Motorworks send them a replacement quote of $500/rim for my 2 damaged ones. I originally told the assessor I would accept a full set of Fuchs replica rims, yet they wouldn't cough up the $2200

The chat I had today was with a guy who tells me that the recent royal commission into dodgy bank practices includes insurance companies too, and that I can re claim for a full set of new rims of a style that I agree to, and will go into bat on my behalf. He is currently writing a book on the dodgy practices of insurance companies, and as he's had 30 years in the industry, he knows everything that is now going on. He even told me that a certain insurance giant actually pay their assessors a bonus if they reduce insurance claim payouts! 

My reason for posting here is that if you have ever been dicked around by insurance companies, a new law introduced in November 2018 by the federal government states that you can now go back up to 10 years and chase up any problems you have had and compensated for it. 

I will be compiling a list of the all the dicking around I encountered since July last year with Shannons (my rims payment was only made about 5 weeks ago!) and submitting it to the relevant office at the Australian Financial Complaints Authority 

Archived