944 hatch glass/frame separation, fixable? /recommendations?

floorprawn

Hi guys,

So my 944's hatch glass is pulling out of the frame at the top, and there's enough of a gap that it's officially bothering me now.

I'm not sure whether I should be looking for an entire replacement hatch assembly at this stage or seeing about having the existing one re-done.

Is there anyone around the Sydney-ish area confirmed to be able to repair these things?

I suppose I could look into DIY repairs but it's a very big expensive piece of glass and I'm not really confident enough to tackle it myself!

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions...

It can be a common problem due to the weight of the glass and flimsy frame working over many years.

There are many google results from searching US forums.

I'd also give the resident NSW guru @Buchanan Automotive a call to review your options as I expect an attempt to repair yourself isn't for the faint hearted.

Let us know how you go.

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

@TINGY944 is the resident expert ... he should see this soon and chime in .. ?

I am definitely not the expert on fixing this problem, maybe how to minimize it from happening but that is another story.

I almost fixed mine when i had my first 944 but i could only find 1 guy who knew a guy who knew a guy, that could maybe fix it because he had done it years ago.

Bruce and Sean Buchanan would be my go to for this problem, good luck with it i hope you get it fixed.

There is a method of gluing it back , Rennlist/Pelican had a thread on this.
One problem is the hatch shocks are by necessity very strong and continually try to push the frame apart.
I took mine off, but you need a healthy shoulder to lift the hatch each time. It's ridiculously heavy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had one reglued last year and it came up a treat.A friend of mine who is a professional car glazier and has done a few did the work in two stages as I wanted time to clean and prep the trim for painting. Once the frame was fitted we left it off the car for a few days to set before refitting. We did spend a bit of time filling all the gaps between the frame and the glass also don't rush the separation of the original glue as you could damage the glass.

• 8 months later...

Digging up an old thread.

Does anyone have a glass fitter/resealer in Brisbane they can recommend?

My S2 hatch has developed a hatch leak. It appears the previous attempt to reseal my hatch 2 years ago hasn’t lasted. The sealant is just flaking off with my fingernail. The frame doesn’t look to have separated though.