Any advice - tips&traps on 3 piece wheel disassembly reassembly?

Zelrik911

I am thinking about painting the inners of my 3 piece rims to get this effect. (this isn't my car, but its very close)

What are the recommendations of those who have pulled their rims to pieces and successfully reassembled them??

7f4c6247.jpg

I rebuilt and widened my own 3 piece.

Wasn't too bad, but It takes time as you need very good surface prep. Make sure everything is clean and mask of the holes and mating surfaces so your not torquing down on paint. Also make sure you can get the replacement hardware (bolts&nuts) in advance, plus torque values and any special tooling, i.e Simmons use 10hex so need a special spline socket.

Replace the valve seal and use the correct spec silicon for sealing the halves.

10 hours ago, DHE11 said:

I rebuilt and widened my own 3 piece.

Wasn't too bad, but It takes time as you need very good surface prep. Make sure everything is clean and mask of the holes and mating surfaces so your not torquing down on paint. Also make sure you can get the replacement hardware (bolts&nuts) in advance, plus torque values and any special tooling, i.e Simmons use 10hex so need a special spline socket.

Replace the valve seal and use the correct spec silicon for sealing the halves.

Love this response DHE11, this old man can actually read it without wearing his glasses ?. This font should be the default ?. Aw shit, now I can't read my response where's my glasses:ConfusedGeek:

• 4 weeks later...

I rebuilt a set of Simmons. Pretty easy if you just take your time.

Make sure you use a torque wrench to put them all back together (at least use the same torque as it required to pull them apart) and loctite on the bolt threads is a very good idea.

I criss crossed the bolt tightening process, rather than just tighten them up in a big circle.

17 minutes ago, XLR8 said:

I rebuilt a set of Simmons. Pretty easy if you just take your time.

Make sure you use a torque wrench to put them all back together (at least use the same torque as it required to pull them apart) and loctite on the bolt threads is a very good idea.

I criss crossed the bolt tightening process, rather than just tighten them up in a big circle.

I rebuilt a set of Simmons. Pretty easy if you just take your time.

Thanks I will start soon - I had to get a special socket for the bolts off eBay UK from  'davesgaragesupplies' great service with lots of Laser cut tools.

Archived