Not so useless tips?

I found my old 2nd cut flat metal file that used to keep the edge on my mower blades the other day, rusty.  ?

First I thought, oh well I have the new one. But the scavenger/preserver in me lead me to think of a way to clean it. Naturally I thought wire brush or even wire wheel but it has a second milling at 45 to the first.

So Google provides a simple answer. Degrease it and soak it in white vinegar. It reacted to form tiny bubbles all over which lifted all the rust. I brushed it with a dust brush twice and left it over night.

Came up like new. It still rips steel beautifully.

If you have need of a metal file that is.

The second cut used on a 45 sliding stroke rips coils of steel off. Great therapy.  ?

14 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Before someone says use Coke , remember it will corrode your health but is pretty useless for anything else.

http://greencleaningproductsllc.com/mythbuster-science-of-cleaning-cleaning-with-coca-cola-effective-green-cleaning-products/

Many moons ago when I was an electrical apprentice we used to wash our white overalls in Coke, whiter than nappi san.

• 2 years later...

Here's another random my teenage daughter put me on to.

Cat gets up on the softop the other day during a lapse in judgment.  It's painful to get his furr off.

Nup, dickhead.

Buy one of these. It's basically sticky tape on a roller. Peel the cover off, use it and peel that layer off and cover it back up.

Bullshit quick and 100% comes off.

20200922_163914.jpg

On 24/08/2018 at 18:25, GC9911 said:

Many moons ago when I was an electrical apprentice we used to wash our white overalls in Coke, whiter than nappi san.

Bet you never cleaned up onsite though 😅  Bloody sparkies...I swear theres a module in the apprenticeship called 'Cleaning up as a sparky is banned on all building sites' 😉

On 24/08/2018 at 22:17, Raven said:

oxalic acid bath is very good way to remove rust used it many times on rusty chrome plated parts .............just google it there are many video,s showing its results ...

Get it at the chemist as a powder, or get it at Bunnings as Treated Pine Deck Cleaner!!

Really good on gelcoat to get the brown stain off above the boot topping / waterline on a moored boat too!!!

34 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Bet you never cleaned up onsite though 😅  Bloody sparkies...I swear theres a module in the apprenticeship called 'Cleaning up as a sparky is banned on all building sites' 😉

Harsh Lee, very harsh! But, whilst I was personally a very clean sparky our profession is constantly let down by f#*king useless lazy p&$ks who think their mother will come on site & clean up “their room” wtf!!!. I think it’s an issue for most trades these days to be honest, part of the job is the clean up/make good, only IMHO of course. 😂😂

7 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

Harsh Lee, very harsh! But, whilst I was personally a very clean sparky our profession is constantly let down by f#*king useless lazy p&$ks who think their mother will come on site & clean up “their room” wtf!!!. I think it’s an issue for most trades these days to be honest, part of the job is the clean up/make good, only IMHO of course. 😂😂

😁

True mate. Our sparky is bloody hopeless and always gets slammed for not cleaning up. Same as our plumber, though working with some younger chippies on and off I've been cleaning up their crap on occasion, including drink cans and food scraps/bags. That really shits me.

I'm training a bloke who is starting an adult carpentry apprenticeship, and I've told him 15 mins from the end of the day with me is clean up. No ifs, buts or maybes! He now grabs the broom, pan and blower automatically 😁

8 minutes ago, LeeM said:

😁

True mate. Our sparky is bloody hopeless and always gets slammed for not cleaning up. Same as our plumber, though working with some younger chippies on and off I've been cleaning up their crap on occasion, including drink cans and food scraps/bags. That really shits me.

I'm training a bloke who is starting an adult carpentry apprenticeship, and I've told him 15 mins from the end of the day with me is clean up. No ifs, buts or maybes! He now grabs the broom, pan and blower automatically 😁

Who do they think is going to clean up???

9 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

Who do they think is going to clean up???

Doing housing trust maintenance, they always say its not their job, and the cleaners will do it 🙄 The housing supervisors don't agree thats for sure, so they now take photos and send them to our boss.

Doing retail jobs, they always get hauled over the coals when the clients call the office complaining they left the site in a mess. Its not that hard to pick up a broom

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Weed killer recipe:

4 litres of vinegar (4000ml)  either colour

400 grams epsom salts

40ml detergent

See the easy to remember ratios.

Works well on bindi and clover, but as much as possible, spray only the weed as it will burn grass too ie not selective.  The grass does recover.