Space saver spare

Skidmarks

8 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Stupid question, since you want a space saver, but doesn't a 74 Carrera have a full size spare ?

Nope, should be steel rim, date stamped slightly earlier than the car production date and have the red gas bottle style or early webster 12v compressor to inflate (if your anal about that stuff).

13 minutes ago, Jason E said:

I wonder if you can still buy the inflatable/ expandable tyres new?  Not sure I trust mine 28 years later.

Yes Jason, the price I got was a complete unit with tyre. By the time you got it here close to $1k though!

I have not been able to find the tyre by itself!

16 minutes ago, Jason E said:

I wonder if you can still buy the inflatable/ expandable tyres new?  Not sure I trust mine 28 years later.

But I wonder how old the ones are that might be in the warehouse for the dealer to sell you?

1 minute ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

But I wonder how old the ones are that might be in the warehouse for the dealer to sell you?

It would be unethical and most likely illegal to sell an old out of date tyre... 

Inflatable tyres are still made new, I just have not been able to find them in 15 inch....

10 minutes ago, firstone said:

1k? How many tows is that?

Depends how far from home you are, could only be 1!

How much for peace of mind?

I will keep searching, someone makes them!

Plus waiting 3 hours for a tow is not fun!!

Ouch, 1k is a lot for a spare BUT I agree that you need something for once you venture out of the city.  I wouldn't feel comfortable if I didn't have something to stick on & drive out of trouble.  I think @epilot even though the tyre you have has been run up to pressure I wonder how long it will last once you are driving on it.  I would think you'd want to go pretty slowly.  I sure wouldn't be going anywhere North of 60kph given it's age. 

4 hours ago, ANF said:

It would be unethical and most likely illegal to sell an old out of date tyre... 

Inflatable tyres are still made new, I just have not been able to find them in 15 inch....

One would think the best idea (if you were going down this path) was to buy through Porsche so if something went wrong with the tyre you'd have your 2 year warranty to fall back on. 

1 hour ago, ANF said:

Good plan Jason, but if it is $1k from Pelican, Porsche in Aus will be $2k plus... :unsure:

Someone makes them, I will find out who :D

True Adam, they are Pirates (Porsche parts).  Please let me know what you find. Cheers.

11 hours ago, Jason E said:

have had to use mine twice in the last year. Original to the car which would make it....42 years old. Germans should have won the war for sure 

15 hours ago, dipstick said:

Nope, should be steel rim, date stamped slightly earlier than the car production date and have the red gas bottle style or early webster 12v compressor to inflate (if your anal about that stuff).

77 C3 has full size spare, which is why I asked the question.

10 hours ago, turboT said:

have had to use mine twice in the last year. Original to the car which would make it....42 years old. Germans should have won the war for sure 

Well thanks Tom, that's very interesting.  How far did you drive on the spare each time?  What sort of speeds did you maintain?  Any dramas getting the tyre to return to it's contracted state? cheers.

Jason,

The 3 I've had that have been up to 33 years old and were all in perfect condition with no evidence of perishing or cracking.  Whilst I've never had any reason to use them, the oldest one I pumped up returned to it's compact size without trouble when deflated.  Consequently I haven't lost any sleep with the prospect of using them.

However I do carry a tyre plugging kit and a bottle of liquid sealant and these would be my preferred "get home"/"get to T-mart" treatments as the prospect of having to carry the flat tyre on the passenger seat doesn't appeal!

20 minutes ago, Peter M said:

However I do carry a tyre plugging kit and a bottle of liquid sealant and these would be my preferred "get home"/"get to T-mart" treatments

.......................................as the prospect of having to carry the flat tyre on the passenger seat doesn't appeal!

Thanks Peter,

I've never used the tyre sealant before.  I had heard that it "damages" the tyre or makes it difficult to reuse or that the sealant is painful to remove from the tyre.  Is any of this true?  I've also not used a plugging kit.  I suppose I should do some Goggle/ Youtubing to get myself informed............

Luckily Peter with the 944 (the Kings of the Porsche world IMHO ? - and the only one I can afford thereby it's the best one ) as you would know we have plenty of rear hatch space for the spare to reside whilst on the way to the repair shop:Chuckle2:.  I also have the original plastic spare tyre cover bag in my recovery kit.  I think this surely adds 3k of originality to my overall value.

49 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Jason,

The 3 I've had that have been up to 33 years old and were all in perfect condition with no evidence of perishing or cracking.  Whilst I've never had any reason to use them, the oldest one I pumped up returned to it's compact size without trouble when deflated.  Consequently I haven't lost any sleep with the prospect of using them.

However I do carry a tyre plugging kit and a bottle of liquid sealant and these would be my preferred "get home"/"get to T-mart" treatments as the prospect of having to carry the flat tyre on the passenger seat doesn't appeal!

I did the same Peter, inflated mine also and it looked fine, never used it though!

I find it amazing that a car maker as good as Porsche did not think through where to put the road wheel!!

21 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Thanks Peter,

I've never used the tyre sealant before.  I had heard that it "damages" the tyre or makes it difficult to reuse or that the sealant is painful to remove from the tyre.  Is any of this true?  I've also not used a plugging kit.  I suppose I should do some Goggle/ Youtubing to get myself informed............

Luckily Peter with the 944 (the Kings of the Porsche world IMHO ? - and the only one I can afford thereby it's the best one ) as you would know we have plenty of rear hatch space for the spare to reside whilst on the way to the repair shop:Chuckle2:.  I also have the original plastic spare tyre cover bag in my recovery kit.  I think this surely adds 3k of originality to my overall value.

Unless you secure the road wheel in both of our ample storage areas it is quite a dangerous practice! I have seen the rear wall of a ute pushed in about a foot from a sudden stop with an unsecured wheel and tyre!!

My late model Merc has a space saver, but again where do you put the full size tyre!

Manufacturers are still being DUMB!!

24 minutes ago, ANF said:

I find it amazing that a car maker as good as Porsche did not think through where to put the road wheel!!

I think they thought: "Do we make space for the road wheel in the frunk or put in an 80 litre tank?"

The extra 20 litres won out!?

4 minutes ago, Peter M said:

I think they thought: "Do we make space for the road wheel in the frunk or put in an 80 litre tank?"

The extra 20 litres won out!?

Sorry to say that is just dumb engineering!

How someone has not been killed by a flying wheel is beyond me, or have they.....

3 hours ago, Jason E said:

Well thanks Tom, that's very interesting.  How far did you drive on the spare each time?  What sort of speeds did you maintain?  Any dramas getting the tyre to return to it's contracted state? cheers.

I guess I had to drive upto 30km - to 50km each time. Enough to get to tyre shop or home. I wouldn't have gone more than 60kmphr.  Spacesaver easily back where it came from. Shredded a few tyres over the last few years, but most punctures are slow and you can easily pump up to get home. Hence I always carry a foot pump and tyre pressure gauge. 

Archived