Space saver spare

Skidmarks

5 hours ago, ANF said:

Sorry to say that is just dumb engineering!

When the car was designed, the 4 1/2 inch rims fitted easily.  I guess as the rims got wider they all thought the 911 wouldn't make it to the end of the decade anyway so why waste money redesigning something so old and out of date, the future belongs to the "transaxles"! 

There are a few other design "features" like that such as the HVAC 

17 hours ago, OZ930 said:

77 C3 has full size spare, which is why I asked the question.

I have a 77 c3, it has the steel rim/spacesaver tyre also (as do my other cars).

Have only seen the fuchs with spacesaver in the 73 rs supplement booklet below (the other is the 77 drivers manual).

Never say never tho. (the space invader in the pic is from my 74 carrera)

IMG_6380.thumb.jpg.cfebb9b8184b5378c7fa8a85ebf00880.jpgIMG_6384.thumb.jpg.356df8ef7eeedd89a34981d338a8ae80.jpg

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

When the car was designed, the 4 1/2 inch rims fitted easily.  I guess as the rims got wider they all thought the 911 wouldn't make it to the end of the decade anyway so why waste money redesigning something so old and out of date, the future belongs to the "transaxles"! 

There are a few other design "features" like that such as the HVAC 

True Peter, but still it is hazardous at best and dangerous at worst, The transaxles are no better, while they have larger storage areas, there is still nowhere (safe) to put your road wheel.... surely someone saw it and went DOH!??

16 minutes ago, ANF said:

…..The transaxles are no better, while they have larger storage areas, there is still nowhere (safe) to put your road wheel.... surely someone saw it and went DOH!??

I didn't realise that.  Now I understand your exasperation.

1 hour ago, dipstick said:

Have only seen the fuchs with spacesaver in the 73 rs supplement booklet below (the other is the 77 drivers manual).

IMG_6384.thumb.jpg.356df8ef7eeedd89a34981d338a8ae80.jpg

Do not exceed a maximum speed of 100 mph (160 km/h) with collapsible tire mounted!  In view of the change in handling, however, and for wear reasons, it is recommended not to exceed 80 mph (130 km/h)

Obviously from a period when we weren't so adverse to risk!

On 8/26/2018 at 5:55 PM, James P said:

@Skidmarks I've got one but the metal air inflation valve is bent on it, the tyre looks new & date stamp is 81 or 82.. will that do?

Any port in a storm.

for sure. Give me a call when you have a moment. 

‘Thanks. 

‘Enjoyed the read of the thread. 

‘If I knew how post pics of the resto’d car I would.  

Skunkwerks does it again ...

Now they’re changing my silver 72S back to the Viper Green it was born with.  

On 8/26/2018 at 11:04 AM, turboT said:

I guess I had to drive upto 30km - to 50km each time. Enough to get to tyre shop or home. I wouldn't have gone more than 60kmphr.  Spacesaver easily back where it came from. Shredded a few tyres over the last few years, but most punctures are slow and you can easily pump up to get home. Hence I always carry a foot pump and tyre pressure gauge. 

Sorry for late reply - Thanks for this info.  I do carry a tyre gauge & have a working electric pump in the car so this should be enough to get me out of trouble.  Cheers, Jason. 

A $10 tyre plug kit is also worth having. I put a plug in the tyre of my Merc 3 years ago, and haven't had to top up the tyre pressure since. Other benefit, is you don't need to take the wheel off the car.

Archived