New 993

OZ930

It’ll be interesting to see what or where Porsche goes with this. It’s one thing to offer people with old Porsche’s the ability to get them fixed up by Porsche, it’s another thing to start rebuilding old cars from scratch and start selling them...? Will this be a 993.2?

8 hours ago, Philbee said:

It’ll be interesting to see what or where Porsche goes with this. It’s one thing to offer people with old Porsche’s the ability to get them fixed up by Porsche, it’s another thing to start rebuilding old cars from scratch and start selling them...? Will this be a 993.2?

It's just a one off exercise to promote their Classic parts business and this car can't actually be registered because it doesn't meet modern day legislative requirements.

I have been following the build of that car on Porsche site.......... :)

9 hours ago, Philbee said:

That is an interesting point you make ,,,,Singer has had huge success with the re imagination of the 964 ,,eg you send them your car and have it built to your dream specifcations ,image what Porsche could do and there is no doubt a market for it as Singer is over whelmed for the next few years ..Porsche could easily do this and offer Bi spoke services of a similar kind  creating one of master pieces for cashed up owners .. 

The popularity of old cars and the prices people are willing to pay for replicas and restomods has made the manufacturers open their eyes.   Jag started doing it, Aston Martin is doing it.  They appear to have old shells in storage for whatever reason - I would expect to see more of it. A great thing if you ask me.

Questions you may ask yourself before signing up;

- What is wrong with a standard 993 turbo?

- If I have the budget of approx. 3 times a 993 turbo how could or would I modify it to suit my own personal taste/needs?

- That guys 993 GT2 replica still looks way hotter than this, why would I just not buy that instead? 

Maybe its just me, but these are just some of the questions that I would be asking myself. The Holden SS paint colour and stripes are also somewhat questionable! :ph34r::rolleyes::D 

18 hours ago, Coastr said:

The popularity of old cars and the prices people are willing to pay for replicas and restomods has made the manufacturers open their eyes.   Jag started doing it, Aston Martin is doing it.  They appear to have old shells in storage for whatever reason - I would expect to see more of it. A great thing if you ask me.

I thought/ think they have an agreement with RUF to supply body shells for their "older" new models?

27 minutes ago, ANF said:

I thought/ think they have an agreement with RUF to supply body shells for their "older" new models?

No ruf make their own nowadays or use what they already have.  Talked with Alois Jr myself !

That is how they can make new old-looking cars - because they have the agreement with Porsche to produce cars with the 911 shape.

3 minutes ago, Coastr said:

No ruf make their own nowadays or use what they already have.  Talked with Alois Jr myself !

That is how they can make new old-looking cars - because they have the agreement with Porsche to produce cars with the 911 shape.

Cool.

I knew they had an agreement, they must have bought up big when they still could :)

Thanks

On 8/26/2018 at 7:58 AM, Peter M said:

It's just a one off exercise to promote their Classic parts business and this car can't actually be registered because it doesn't meet modern day legislative requirements.

I dunno, promoting classic car servicing & repairs could be done in so many other ways... and not by re-creating a whole car.

it smacks of "singer can do it but we're better!" 

And as @hugh says why buy an exact same car but 3x the price.

Don't like the look of "ruf" cars either, @LeeM

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:58 AM, Peter M said:

They did something similar (last year I think) where dealers across the UK fully restored any classic model, I think there may have been a "prize" for the best one. these cars were all sold, at fairly high prices too!

How much PR has this 993 generated..... :D

• 1 month later...

So for me the 993 is a very well resolved design in all its forms, i have not seen one after market modification that goes anywhere near improving this.

I believe that the the RS touring and RSCS  packages (which are based on the narrow body) are very hard to beat in the Hot Rod design department and i can see people building tributes out of C2's and C4's in the future.

With regard to this Project Gold Car I just think the colour scheme both inside and out was not very well considered at all it doesn't do the car any justice what so ever. Seems to me they just got the idea of copying the current model and tried to make it work. Could have been so easy, just pick hero colour of that era!!!!

Archived