New member need advice on buying 986 Boxster

And it goes on. The external mechanic is Europi Motori, who do work for Lorbek but seem to be arm's length and have some good reviews.  I sent the car back to the original PPI mechanic today - and they have said the items they first found are now Ok and did some additional tests (compression, over-rev etc) for me which have all come up positive. The price for the car is $2k below what they originally asked, highish but not unreasonable and now has an extra 12 months rego thrown in so based on all of that I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. The only concern is that at 155,000km the IMS bearing has *not* been done yet so I'll have that to consider as a future expense. Body, trim, etc are really good.  

36 minutes ago, Kevvie said:

And it goes on. The external mechanic is Europi Motori, who do work for Lorbek but seem to be arm's length and have some good reviews.  I sent the car back to the original PPI mechanic today - and they have said the items they first found are now Ok and did some additional tests (compression, over-rev etc) for me which have all come up positive. The price for the car is $2k below what they originally asked, highish but not unreasonable and now has an extra 12 months rego thrown in so based on all of that I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. The only concern is that at 155,000km the IMS bearing has *not* been done yet so I'll have that to consider as a future expense. Body, trim, etc are really good.  

Mate, as long as you've gone into it with your eyes open, and have a deal that you're happy with, get into it and drive. 

Don't be anal about the IMS, you'll very soon mostly forget about it.  Drive it, maintain it (and change the oil at least annually), and get the filter checked when you do change the oil.  Probably do the IMS when you do a clutch, keep a few $$ in the kitty for that eventuality.  Develop a relationship with a good independent, (possibly the guy that did your PPI?) and get to know James at Autohaus Hamilton in Sydney for your parts, which will usually be heaps cheaper than a Porsche Centre, and on par usually with Pelican Parts, FCP Euro etc, or not far away, and they're Australian and hugely knowledgeable.

• 1 year later...