Tyres 7/8 15 inch recommendation

DET

Hi all

time for some new tyres for my 2.7 Carrera 74 .  It get used regularly and doesn’t do any track work anymore. So drivability is my aim, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of choice out there anymore. 

Ideas please.

regards all

david 

Hi David,

The 15's really are hard to buy for ... then to get staggered sizes, only a couple of choices ...

I run Falken ZE 912 tyres on my 15's.

Can get them in both sizes so keeps it uniform. Some love them, some hate them.

I have no issues at all. Stick like glue and so far have worn well. My 911 isn't a daily so don't know how they wear when driven on constantly.

There really aren't too many others out there unless you want to spend big $$$ or import some from the US.

Good luck ....

2 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Hi David,

The 15's really are hard to buy for ... then to get staggered sizes, only a couple of choices ...

I run Falken ZE 912 tyres on my 15's.

Can get them in both sizes so keeps it uniform. Some love them, some hate them.

I have no issues at all. Stick like glue and so far have worn well. My 911 isn't a daily so don't know how they wear when driven on constantly.

There really aren't too many others out there unless you want to spend big $$$ or import some from the US.

Good luck ....

I’ll have a look at those. I have been running toyos but they don’t play welll in the wet.

david

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone tried these Nangkang AR1's? They seem to get good reviews overseas (not in the wet obviously) and a lot of Jap car owners are using them on track days with good feedback from what I've read online

I'm changing rim size to 15 x 7 and 8's to try from 16's, and will need a set of tyres for hills driving a couple of days a month that don't cost the earth.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nankang/AR-1.htm

Just now, clutch-monkey said:

i have the NS2R's on two street cars and they are excellent value for money. the AR-1's are on a mates V8 powered FD rx-7 and he likes them.

looking at my local tyre guru the hankook ventus rs-4 have a staggered 195-225 fitment.

http://www.tyre-city.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=801_804

Cheers mate. I did see the NS2R's and may look at them too

I currently have Hankook Ventus Evo12 (?) on mine which have lasted well over 18 months of spirited weekend hills driving and still have a lot of tread left. They're great value for money as an all rounder (not a tight arse, just can't afford $300/tyre when they don't last very long), yet I do wish to have something a bit stickier, especially the fronts, as I have had a couple of unexpected front pushes

8 hours ago, LeeM said:

Anyone tried these Nangkang AR1's? They seem to get good reviews overseas (not in the wet obviously) and a lot of Jap car owners are using them on track days with good feedback from what I've read online

I'm changing rim size to 15 x 7 and 8's to try from 16's, and will need a set of tyres for hills driving a couple of days a month that don't cost the earth.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nankang/AR-1.htm

I've got the AR1 on my 951 and really love them. Lots of grip on track and don't overheat. I also daily drive on them as I only have one set of wheels, so far I've done a bit over 5000km on them, including 3 track days and they have about 1/4 tread left. So wear isn't too bad for a soft semi slick. They are not too bad in the wet actually, grip is still good on a wet surface, they just don't like standing water. Hitting deep puddles really jerks the steering around and makes for a bit of a hair raising experience.

I'm after tyres for my Carrera 3.2 as well, 15" x 7"/8".  I'm currently running the factory sizes in Pirelli P6000s 195/65-15 for the 7's and 215/60-15 for the 8's (I think).

I'd be happy with 205/55R15 fronts and 225/50R15 rears but struggling to find anything in stock. The Toyo T1Rs and Falken ZE912 in those sizes are all sold out at tyresales.

Any thoughts on the best place to source these from in these sizes or preferred sizes?

• 1 month later...

I fitted some 205 x 50 and 225 x 45 x 15 Nangkang AR1's to the SC and went for a blat in the hills last weekend. Even though I lack a little confidence after the stack and hadn't driven the car for 2 or 3 months (freaking out would be a good analogy to tell you honestly), these tyres felt really good with lots of grip. I'm no expert at all, yet the initial turn in is much sharper and holds its line a LOT better than the Hankook Ventus evo1's do, and I felt I could get on the gas harder and earlier without what I used to experience with the Hankooks. I felt it would understeer out of the corner if I tried carrying a higher corner speed so I was squaring it off with braking really late, basically stop, turn, then get back on the gas which to me with my limited car driving experience seems the wrong way to drive. My steering has always been pretty heavy compared to other 911's I've driven, yet now it's like I have power steering! Soooo much nicer to drive.  I understand now why these semi slick tyres are a must have if you want to get up it in the hills, yet I'm not about to start driving like I'm qualifying for a grand prix. Fear of stuffing it into a guard rail/tree/immovable object again and 3 points left has me slowing down a bit now

I paid $700 for 4 tyres fitted and balanced, which when you consider the prices of other more well known brands which I personally can't see any sense paying when its only a street car, they're a bloody bargain, so if you're wanting some stickier tyres for the road/hills, I'd give these a try. Only thing I'd prefer is 50 or 60 profile rears to fill the guards a bit more, yet that's just a cosmetic thing

Archived