Porsche related off topic

Hello all. 

I must admit I don’t own a Porsche. I am extremely interested in the front drive system in them though. We run a class 8 (extreme 4wd) off road race car and we are looking for an alternative system we can adapt to our car. We are having issues with cv joints snapping and losing wheels because of it. Pic of our car at the Goondiwindi 400 a few weeks back. We snapped another cv shaft at this event.

From what I’ve been able to see through google searches is there’s a lot of different Porsche front drive setups/systems. That’s why I’m here. I figure it’s best to ask the people that know them.

We run a Subaru Brumby powered by a Subaru WRX STI engine and drive train. We have been able to source a stub axle that will fit the outputs on the gearbox and diff to mate to Porsche joints. 

The rear suspension is quite simple for us to modify and adapt.  

We are having trouble with the front though. It seems the more we think we are getting our heads around the Porsche models the more we find we don’t know. 

We are wanting a lower control arm with strut set up. McPherson (sp?) strut sort of thing. I suppose I’m looking for general opinions on what models are best or to look at. It seems the 996 may be what we need. I’ve had some on Facebook say no, use 911. 

Anyone care to to weigh in? 

6A8A62CB-4D0D-4168-8825-862BECA1AEB7.jpeg

I don't have any direct experience with any awd Porsche's but maybe this info will give you a starting point. Perhaps some of the experts in here will weigh in with some more info.

Under the 911 model there have been several series, and I believe all have had McPherson front suspension. The awd variants began within the 993 series, and have continued with 996, 997 and latest, the 991. The AWD cars within each of these series are the Turbo, and the Carrera 4 (C4).

Another car that might have similar front suspension are the old audi quattros. Their awd transaxle arrangement has the same orientation as a subarus, and a development of that transaxle was also used in rear mounted rwd configuration in the Porsche 944.

Archived