How does the CEB look?

grepin

PM me your email and I will send you a diagram (pdf) for your fuse panel :)

First thing to do is replace every fuse and remove all relays and check contacts.

There are 3 (potentially 4 if no alarm) unused relay slots

The owner's manual tells you what should be there.

To add to Adam's advice , use dielectric grease on the fuse contacts. And buy a spare fuel pump relay cos one day it will malfunction. Happened to me driving home in heavy traffic in the rain in a middle lane. Luckily I quickly coasted across 2 lanes and into a parking zone. I jumpered the relay to get home but this is never a permanent option!

3 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Yet to get the car but will check that straight away. Thanks for the help. 

6 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

To add to Adam's advice , use dielectric grease on the fuse contacts. And buy a spare fuel pump relay cos one day it will malfunction. Happened to me driving home in heavy traffic in the rain in a middle lane. Luckily I quickly coasted across 2 lanes and into a parking zone. I jumpered the relay to get home but this is never a permanent option!

By the way that Island you live on. Doesnt look like many roads to take a Porsche out on.

1 hour ago, grepin said:

Yet to get the car but will check that straight away. Thanks for the help. 

By the way that Island you live on. Doesnt look like many roads to take a Porsche out on.

It's like the old Targa Florio in Sicily. 

"The original Grande 148 km (92 mi) circuit had in the realm of 2,000 corners per lap, the 108 km (67 mi) Medio had about 1,300-1,400 corners per lap and the final iteration of the course, the 72 km (45 mi) Piccolo circuit had about 800-900 corners per lap. To put that in perspective, most purpose built circuits have between 12 and 18 corners, and the longest purpose built circuit in the world, the 13-mile Nurburgring, has about 180 corners. So learning any of the Targa Florio courses was extremely difficult and required, like most long circuits, at least 60 laps to learn the course"

So after a few dozen laps,  you tend to come in for a spiced almond soy frapuccino, before heading out again.

Maatsuyker Island?

I can be silly some times.

Well I am getting into a 928 might be proof.

Must be a good ratio of 928s to Tasmanians.

Just realised the link with all you guys pitching in to help..

Thanks again.

9 hours ago, grepin said:

Maatsuyker Island?

I can be silly some times.

Well I am getting into a 928 might be proof.

Must be a good ratio of 928s to Tasmanians.

Just realised the link with all you guys pitching in to help..

Thanks again.

I think Tazzieman may be just a wee bit misleading with his location........☺️

Being a 1984 year model & most likely an Australian delivered ( new ) 928S , there is something you need to know about the CEB ( central Electric Board ) in relation to whats printed in the Porsche owners manual & even the Porsche ( pocket) spec book for the 928S 1981-1984 , they are both incorrect in relation to some fuse and relay positions

The below info is only for the Australian & UK delivered 1984 year model only ( not USA / Canada etc )

Owners manual states that Fuse number 13 is not used  }   Incorrect fuse 13 is the fuel pump fuse

Owners manual states that fuse number 22 is the fuel pump fuse } well that's obviously not the case

Owners manual states that relay VIII is not used  }  Incorrect , relay VIII is the ignition ECU power up relay

Owners manual states that relay XVI is not used ( except L-jet USA) } Incorrect relay XVI is the Fuel Injection ECU power up relay 

Note } the 1984 year model ( Euro / Australian version ) was the first model to have Luft - Hotwire electronic fuel injection where as the 1978-1983 models had the more mechanical K-Jet fuel injection & the 1984 year model owners manual was not changed in time & it causes a lot of confusion

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

As an interesting sub-note  , the 1984 928S CEB ( fuse/relay board) , was the last year model to use the traditional 1960's / 1970's ceramic fuses , where as the 1985 year model 928s was the first Porsche model to get the next generation of fuses & fuse holders design ( blade ) & naturally a completely different CEB with newer more secure multi plug /wiring loom connections & different wiring looms at the base of the CEB , and on the subject of electrics , the 1985 year model was the first to get the much larger very powerful ( for the mid 1980's) 115 amp Bosch alternator & it was so large Porsche had to discard all the 1984 & earlier steel support brackets on the front of the engine for the smaller earlier ( >84) French alternator  and Porsche cast & machined no expense spared alloy support brackets , even the power steering pump had to be changed to accommodate the larger alternator ( 85> )

Even the dash instrument cluster backing plate , circuit board & the multi plug connections were ( on the 85> ) the newer / completely different design , where as the 1984 had more in common 1983 and earlier design , along with heaps of other things , this makes the 1984 928s an interesting car because its a transition model between the older original K-Jet 928 year models & the newer next generation 928S ( with Luft Hotwire injection )& into the 928S4 

Note } when I mentioned Ceramic fuses , be careful when purchasing new fuses( replacements) for any last century Porsche that has these fuses that you DO NOT buy the Chinese cheap copies that are made from plastic , you can still get these in the correct ceramic , but you have to specify & yes the plastic copies ( they are hard to pick the difference ) will melt & lose contact , particularly on a high amperage circuit like fuel pump & yes it will stop the car

The early Ceramic fuse design was }

928 up to 1984

911 up to 1989

944 up to 1985

924 / 931 ( all )

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

To reinforce BBs post , the cheap fuses "feature" very soft and thin metal which twists , bends and snaps when you try to install them in the tight 928 fuse holders.
They will let you down!
Always carry spare fuses , especially in a 928, and it doesn't hurt to have some spare relays in the glovebox. Oh and a head torch for when you have to burrow down and inspect the CEB on a dark rainy night. Plus a tarp , raincoat , safety triangle. Not to mention the quick neg disconnect switch so you don't blow the new fuse that is hard to wiggle into place.
Hope that you've got a good neck and nimble fingers too :D.
Some people have upgraded their early 928 CEBs but that would require me to take long service leave.

Archived