M Benz vs Tesla

tazzieman

Street cred for the non-car types.  Call it non-cred if that makes sense.  Us car types don't really understand, but there are plenty of people who don't buy bmws and mercs and Porsches but they have the money to.  These people are going for Teslas in big numbers.

they are selling every one they can make.  Just talked to someone who is selling a 12 mo old 3 series for a model 3.  3 month wait list.

the stuff about musk is just fake news.  Head butted a car - yeah right.  Don't know why he became a public enemy.  He probably liked a trump tweet or something and became a non-person.

An interesting page...they are estimating 4,700 per week.  So a 3 month wait at 4,700 cars per week...another 60,000 cars produced before the guy I know gets his car.

Thats why I think they are going to succeed at this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won’t be long before the look at me set are changing their EV more often than their phones. Depreciation be dammed after all they can virtue signal at mostly the poor’s  expense. 

Model 3s are easy to sell as production numbers are abysmal and no where near what is required to keep up with the supply of gullible virtue signalers.  

Two battery types available but if the car is properly maintained Tesla claim   Model 3 will retain 70 percent battery capacity after 120,000 miles (long-range battery) and 100,000 miles (shorter-range battery)

So over 300,000 miles is possible 

1 hour ago, Raven said:

So over 300,000 miles is possible 

I love up to figures and quotes. As up to includes 0 and everything in between. 

An EV at 70% of original range is back in the land of toy cars and probably no longer fit for purpose and who would buy one with only 50% of its pathetic original range?

Then there are issues like charging efficiency dropping so more power in for less power out resulting in higher running cost. Age is an issue as batteries still deteriorate even while not being used greatly reducing km traveled by that battery.  Depth of discharge is another issue that will shorten the life so running the car down to flat is not good for it. Then there is the operating temperature conditions and the list goes on.

So if you believe the hype then we all drive a short distance at an ambient of 25C with no aircon or heating in an EV that has a bigger battery than initially needed so in time and use it will reduce to the capacity actually required and then no longer be viable to do the required job. 

Looks like there could be a lot of excuses for not getting to work that will make public transport look exceptionally good.

To hot, to cold, no sunshine, no wind, headwind, old battery, uphill etc. 

47 minutes ago, Redracn said:

I love up to figures and quotes. As up to includes 0 and everything in between. 

An EV at 70% of original range is back in the land of toy cars and probably no longer fit for purpose and who would buy one with only 50% of its pathetic original range?

Then there are issues like charging efficiency dropping so more power in for less power out resulting in higher running cost. Age is an issue as batteries still deteriorate even while not being used greatly reducing km traveled by that battery.  Depth of discharge is another issue that will shorten the life so running the car down to flat is not good for it. Then there is the operating temperature conditions and the list goes on.

So if you believe the hype then we all drive a short distance at an ambient of 25C with no aircon or heating in an EV that has a bigger battery than initially needed so in time and use it will reduce to the capacity actually required and then no longer be viable to do the required job. 

Looks like there could be a lot of excuses for not getting to work that will make public transport look exceptionally good.

To hot, to cold, no sunshine, no wind, headwind, old battery, uphill etc. 

the figures are off Tesla web page ,,,I am not a fan of the cars either 

9 hours ago, Raven said:

the figures are off Tesla web page ,,,I am not a fan of the cars either 

Musk would be the ultimate used car salesman. I generally ignore sales crap  and go by what is in the written warranty. 

Even looking at the claimed mileage figure of 300,000 I would not expect the car to last that long due to the very poor build quality ..

Also I  believe that replacement battery pack in the U.S is some were upwards of $35,000 ,,At that price I would not expect many consumers in the U.S to replace them ,,,so the car is then pretty much scrape .

There lies the major issue disposal of the spent batteries .......perhaps Space X can send them to Mars ??

interesting how these are made up of smaller almost AA size battery,s linked together ..

Model S cell

2014-08-19-19.13.08-1280.jpg

batteries.jpg

People are blinding buying up EV cars with no long term thoughts on their longevity (and disposal) or how they will be re-charged!  Or any thought as to what goes into making them.....

I fear that the world is creating something far worse than what we have now.....

The battery 1/2 life is one thing , but people tend to change cars on a whim much more frequently than in the past.
Methinks 2nd hand Teslas will be cheap as chips when the next iteration of infotainment on wheels is introduced.

Look at the i-phone analogy. 

Well I think you guys are being unduly harsh on longevity without comparing to modern cars.

Most cars struggle to get to 200,000 km+ these days - the value goes down so much that any major repair is uneconomic.  I agree that battery replacement is unlikely- though some people produce aftermarket Prius batteries - but then plenty of cars are being scrapped these days for dead transmissions, electrical faults, engine issues and more.  The majority of cars never receive major work to keep them on the road, and are scrapped when they become worthless.  The days of the heirloom Benz or even Porsche  are in the past.  

So yes I think a Tesla will be worthless after 15 years or so, but that is not significantly different to most new cars.

11 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Well I think you guys are being unduly harsh on longevity without comparing to modern cars.

Most cars struggle to get to 200,000 km+ these days - the value goes down so much that any major repair is uneconomic.  I agree that battery replacement is unlikely- though some people produce aftermarket Prius batteries - but then plenty of cars are being scrapped these days for dead transmissions, electrical faults, engine issues and more.  The majority of cars never receive major work to keep them on the road, and are scrapped when they become worthless.  The days of the heirloom Benz or even Porsche  are in the past.  

So yes I think a Tesla will be worthless after 15 years or so, but that is not significantly different to most new cars.

My Money is on 7 to 8 years max from an EV and a lot less if used in not very hash conditions like below 0C. It is difficult to compare the proven with the unproven and it is a very poor (Chinese) example of a modern car that is stuffed by 200K as even most of them can exceed that. 

Going by what 2006 Cayenne's cost new compared to what they are selling for now (one recently sold urgently for $12k!), I'm sure a Tesla at the end of its 70% battery life will end up as a Red Bull can. Could probably use the old batteries in the drink for that extra kick too! ?

7 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Going by what 2006 Cayenne's cost new compared to what they are selling for now (one recently sold urgently for $12k!), I'm sure a Tesla at the end of its 70% battery life will end up as a Red Bull can. Could probably use the old batteries in the drink for that extra kick too! ?

In the old days you could always rely on a wrecker to hand over a few bucks to take a non functioning car away. With EV and battery disposal costs you will need to give them a wad to take it and that is if they even show up. 

3 minutes ago, Raven said:

And after that? I suppose they will have a big lithium cauldron somewhere.
I guess it remains "watch this space" whilst the boffins work it all out & Elon has another toke.

15 minutes ago, Raven said:

Yep old unreliable batteries with poor recharge efficiency and charge retention will find homes by the thousands sorry billions that does nothing but delay the inevitable trip to landfill. Looks like wish-full thinking not a solution to the inevitable disposal.

And why would you even need batteries for these applications with the inherent loss of energy by passing it through a battery. 

Sorry silly question. The reliable grid is stuffed and we will need every scrap of storage to maintain our lifestyle even if we have to put more energy in than we can get back out. Well at least those that can afford to. Too bad about the rest. 

Archived