Boxster suspension birthday options

I need to replace the front bump stops on my ’06 987 Boxster 2.7 - they're toast 

The car has 81,000km on it – would I necessarily be due for more of a suspension refresh than just the flogged out bump stops?

What parts would you recommend for a suspension refresh if that was the way to go?

Conversely, how much is a coilover setup worth – Eibach/Koni/Bilstein etc?  Is it worth the expense for weekend street/hills only driving?  This is a slippery slope of both fronts/rears when maybe I just need to do the front bump stops………..

Will be keen on others views here as well.

I have done a few of the worn suspension bits over the last few years - but that has just been replacing like for like.

I am thnking something perhaps a little less dramatic than coilovers etc - perhaps just a set of new springs to lower the ride height a touch (more for visual appeal than any major handling upgrade).

I've gone a set of coilovers from Taiwan on the 986 S at about $1400 ... Bilsteins etc I guess are around $3000 / $4000. I couldn't be happier with mine but who knows if they'll last a while, we'll see... Niko went the lowering springs route Eibach I think and happy as.... about $600 or $700 I guess. If I wasn't tracking mine I would have gone the lowering springs for a bit more firmness and an inch off over standard

I only went with the springs.   EIBACH's. Didn't want to do the whole coil over thing 

30mm drop at front 25mm at rear.   Handling hasn't suffered in any way, 

certainly improves the stance.

Im not interested in track work, just street, so coil overs would be wasted on me.

Price was good for the result, and you can get them from Sydney within a day of ordering.

3 hours ago, flamingporsche said:

@Troubleshooter are your coil overs those Gecko branded ones? How does it ride compared to prior. 

@Niko anything you can add?

No not Gecko, Can't remember the brand I'll dig out the paperwork. They are new on Ebay and sold from a  Sydney company. I dropped the front and back about 2" adjusted the camber 2 degrees iirc and adjusted the damper very stiff so most would think it's too harsh a ride but I like it and it's on rails. 

Ive gone Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, transformed in both stance and handling. Mine does see he odd track day, adjust a few clicks and away you go. Also handy to dial in/out over/understeer . Not technically best way to do it but works in the absence of adjustable sway bars.

i bought from Design 911 in the uk AUD$2500 landed. Best deal around by a long shot. From memory fitting, corner weight and set up cost me about $1k.

3 hours ago, ADS911 said:

Ive gone Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, transformed in both stance and handling. Mine does see he odd track day, adjust a few clicks and away you go. Also handy to dial in/out over/understeer . Not technically best way to do it but works in the absence of adjustable sway bars.

i bought from Design 911 in the uk AUD$2500 landed. Best deal around by a long shot. From memory fitting, corner weight and set up cost me about $1k.

How on earth did you land them for $2500 aust Ads? They list them at 1840 pounds = $3340 Aust... then add shipping, gst and a few added process dollars and it'd have to be around $40000 to $4500?

18 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

How on earth did you land them for $2500 aust Ads? They list them at 1840 pounds = $3340 Aust... then add shipping, gst and a few added process dollars and it'd have to be around $40000 to $4500?

I got lucky, they had a special ?

Best I could do in AUST was $4.5k

• 2 weeks later...

With the prices of replacement shocks where they are, I decided to order a set of Gecko G-Street coilovers - for $1250 AUD delivered it seems like a no-brainer. 

Have booked Don Munro to do the install & setup for me just in time for a little trip I have planned...

2 hours ago, firstone said:

Cheap bastard. ?

Awesome deal. From?

Yes ? But when replacement stock shocks are just as much, why not?????

and Gecko Racing Australia (Aussie distributor for the manufacturer - actually Wollongong Auto). They have a facebook page - don't bother messaging them, their response is pretty average.  On the phone though, it was all stitched up quickly.  $1250 gone in 60 seconds.  No local Porsche stock - made to order and shipped pretty quickly ex-Taiwan.

I don't expect Don to be cheap - but I am happy to pay for expert service.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Troubleshooter the ride is good. Passed the most important test - my wife can’t tell there’s sports suspension so that’s a win for the “street spec” coilovers 🍻

The car handles nice and flat but I still need to have a bit of a play with the shock settings. I think I need the rear a bit stiffer and maybe the slightest of softening at the front. Will play with the rear first and see how it plays out - fronts could be spot on when I get the back end sorted

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, Pokiou said:

how you liking the coilovers?? im interested in a set for a 996 c2.

Still good. Very comfortable for street / daily use.  I haven’t done a lot of miles and it’s currently in the shop getting wrapped. 

My latest feel is they could be stiffer all round. I need to spend some time playing with the settings. The current ride height is great- plenty of scope for lower but I’ve shoehorned massive 295 rears in under the guards 😎 so the ability for more big changes in ride height are limited 

Thanks @grantmr and @crsedge The wheels are OZ Racing Allegerita HLT - got them 2nd hand on Gumtree to go with the Gulf wrap design. There’s a lot of blue that needed breaking up in the rear/side profile in place of the original silver wheels. 

This weekend might be a stretch for a drive, Grant. Hopefully I can pick her up on Saturday - but we’re planning a reveal at PCBrisbane on Tuesday night with PCQld

Archived