TPMS for 981

Beau

Hi all,

I am in the process of acquiring a second set of OEM wheels without TPMS, so will need to source this system (preferably not from the dealer, only due to cost...) - can anybody provide me with some direction?  

Anybody have a part number for the Australian TPMS system, is it different than others?

is it as easy as just buying this system?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262422100931

Not sure if i can ask my tyres fitter to source them as I’m a TPMS newbie...

Thanks, Beau

I picked up some genuine HUF (Formally BERU) ones for about $50 each including the stem plus shipping from Germany. AU uses the 433Mhz units. It is much easier if you know the porsche part number as the EU sites generally cross list it. The OEM part number as well as the Porsche one is also normally printed on the sender. 

My HUF pn is RDE047V21 for a 991.2

• 7 months later...

Thought I would come back and close this off as I've just finished this little 'project' today. 

In case anybody else is looking around for these TPMS sensors - I ordered from this eBay seller below - total cost was about $260 AUD inc shipping for 4 sensors and valve stems.  Placed a message to the seller telling them what my car was.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HUF-Black-TPMS-Sensor-PORSCHE-OEM-replacement-433mhz-7P0907275-997-Panamera-911/

Sensors arrived in a little over a week from the USA.  Placed into the new wheels this morning, reset TPMS on the dash and the sensors were picked up in about 30-seconds.

All in all it went very well so I'd recommend this over the more official route ($$$).  Photos of the sensor below in case anybody with an AU Cayman 981 needs them.

IMG_4899.thumb.jpg.da3fc2ba3617b087164af28f9eef11c1.jpg

Thanks.  I needed a second set as I am running two sets of wheels - changed out the OEM wheels but wanted to keep them as spares for driving events (and thus keep the TPMS within them).

Found a set of second-hand Satin Black 20" Carrera SIII wheels last year, after looking for about 6-months, so picked them up quickly; not the best for motor-sport as I understand there are better tyre choices with 18" and 19" wheels, but these are a good compromise of looking good on the car every day, being OEM, and also means that both sets of wheels wear the same size tyres if I wanted to swap them around at all.

IMG_4928(Edited).jpg

These are Cayman fitment wheels so actually 0.5” less than the Turbo-design wheels I had on the car previously.

Didn’t weigh them unfortunately but web research indicates as below (without tyres):

Carrera S III (20”)
20 x 8.0 - 22 lbs. 7 oz. (10.17KG)
20 x 9.5 - 24 lbs. 15 oz. (11.3KG)

Those weights are not too bad particularly if you got a good price which I presume you did. Arguably, the 265s on the back are plenty big enough for a 981. 

I like the GT4 wheels, nice looking wheel, good width and wider Cup 2 tyres, and not a bad weight, but for the new price might as well get a set of forged wheels and shave off another 1 to 2 kg or even 3kg for more $$s.

I saw these the other day, 7.25 kg front and 8.8 kg rear! Even more horrendous price though but impressive weight saving.

https://flat6motorsports.com/products/hre-r101-lw-wheels?variant=25939868289

Yep I definitely wanted OEM/Porsche BBS wheels and was happy to sacrifice the weight.  Else HRE FF01 or the R series would've been the go-to (pricing does make my eyes water though...)

Will have to weigh my old set (unfortunately with Tyres still fitted) - I'm curious as when I was unloading them just now them seemed very heavy.

Archived