First big road trip

dobbo

12 minutes ago, dobbo said:

Heading off from Swansea N.S.W to the Great Ocean Road today. It'll be the longest trip so far in this 38 year old 928 fingers crossed I wont have any issues. Will be offline for a couple of weeks and will update when I get back.

No need to go offline we still get coverage all the way down here in Vic? sounds like a fun trip! Any 928 problems and need advice you can still contact Tassie and Adam by morse code or homing seagull

Geezus, big one, @dobbo... good luck mate.

If you havent done the GOR before, my 2c is the run to lorne (from torquay) is nice and typically crowded, so even though tempting, stay calm and cruise it. The run to apollo bay from lorne is better and best you stay overnight somewhere and get up early to enjoy less traffic. 

59 minutes ago, Andy73 said:

Be interested to hear your thoughts on the GOR. I've not driven it in my 911 and, to be honest, have somewhat steered clear of it. Hope that you get a good run on it.

Nice slow scenic drive Andy but way too much traffic in daylight hours and from Torquay to Lorne bugger all overtaking, and if so only to come up behind the next snail trail

59 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Nice slow scenic drive Andy but way too much traffic in daylight hours and from Torquay to Lorne bugger all overtaking, and if so only to come up behind the next snail trail

Yeah that's what I've heard. Wondered if mid week might be a different story...

Just now, Andy73 said:

Yeah that's what I've heard. Wondered if mid week might be a different story...

Midweek overnighter stay at Queenscliffe, 5.30am blast to Torquay, on to Lorne for a quick coffee then back on the fast peddle to Apollo bay (more overtaking stretches that leg) for the next quick coffee then head through the Otways somewhere til breakfast around 10 would all be glorious... 

I recently went and heard all the negative talk about traffic and it will be slow. I did not find this, sure there was some (what road hasn't) but more than enough free and clear road to have some fun. We went mid week, the roads and scenery were great!

My 3rd time there and I would go back again :)

18 hours ago, ANF said:

I recently went and heard all the negative talk about traffic and it will be slow. I did not find this, sure there was some (what road hasn't) but more than enough free and clear road to have some fun. We went mid week, the roads and scenery were great!

My 3rd time there and I would go back again :)

Good to hear - might have to make a trip.

22 minutes ago, Andy73 said:

Good to hear - might have to make a trip.

We over nighted in Geelong after a full day off the plane, then 2 nights in Apollo Bay followed by 2 in Warnambool. Had a great time and saw all that we wanted to :)

6 minutes ago, Andy73 said:

Sounds bloody good!

:)

While we did not have use of a Porsche a brand new Merc C200 hire car did a great job!

On 11 September 2018 at 9:24 AM, dobbo said:

Heading off from Swansea N.S.W to the Great Ocean Road today. It'll be the longest trip so far in this 38 year old 928 fingers crossed I wont have any issues. Will be offline for a couple of weeks and will update when I get back.

You will be fine in the 928 and it will handle it sublimely :)

On 11 September 2018 at 9:33 AM, Troubleshooter said:

No need to go offline we still get coverage all the way down here in Vic? sounds like a fun trip! Any 928 problems and need advice you can still contact Tassie and Adam by morse code or homing seagull

Don't forget the pigeons mate ;)

Geez sounds like I lucked out the coupla times I attempted a purposeful sportscar spurt midweek mid day down there...the other 9 or 10 times I've been with the girl on getaway weekends etc and just went with the flow and enjoy the scenery and relax to get to Lorne accom... I'll have to give it another shot midweek sometime

A local told me the best time is weekdays just after the sun rises. Need to avoid the tourist buses as they (along with most tourists) do not use the slow vehicle pullouts.

For the best drives take a detour on some of the coast to inland roads then turn around and do them backwards. Way better drive than the GOR. 

• 2 weeks later...

I left after my last post and didn't read all the replies till I arrived home on Thursday. Headed down to the R.N.P the first half I got stuck behind 3 cars 2 turned off and I overtook the last one, the southern half was the best smooth and windy but I got stuck behind a L driver all the way over the seacliff bridges to Austimer where we stopped for lunch. Had a good run to Nowra our first overnight stop. Next day off to Eden for 2 nights including a day out at Merimbula I couldn't believe the amount of people going 70-80ks in the 100k speed limit roads and that stretch had limited overtaking spots. Continued on the car was running fine then in the middle of nowhere it started missing under load and uphills adjusted driving style to minimise missing and lack of power. Made it to Can River to refuel and check under bonnet suspecting plug leads.

Found power steering fluid on lead from dizzy to coil wiped down and set off again(car had also cooled down ) and it came good but only for about 30mins kept pushing on to Sale where we stopped overnight. Right next to our digs was a mechanic so I drove over to see him, he rang around but of course could not get any new leads but suggested I wrap the offending lead in plastic tube to insulate it. I checked for sparking that night but could not see any the next day removed lead cleaned down and fitted tube. It started to rain but the car was running ok we were headed to the Sorrento Ferry some heavy downpours before Melbourne had the engine missing again.

Pushed on to Apollo Bay and encountered rain hail and sun all the way car was parked outside overnight and in some heavy rain. The next day light drizzle and the car wouldn't turn the starter motor. I could hear the relay operate dash lights were on battery charged so I swapped starter relay and jumped fuel pump tried several times pulled key out and back in no go. Admitted defeat and called RACV the sun came out and 45mins later help arrived he turned the key and it started right away.

Drove on to Warambool and stayed a couple of nights. Returned home via Bendigo and stopped overnight at Sheperton and another night at Yass and back home stopping now and then to cool engine down when it started missing badly. Back home Ive ordered a set of leads and plugs from E bay which should arrive next week engine is now idling rough and I hope new parts will fix it any thoughts on this?

The car got many admiring looks and comments but it also attracts dickheads that want to drag race cheers Dobbo and thanks for the replies.

Sounds like a good trip even with the minor issues.

How much has been done to your engine of late? Do you know if the vacuum hose/ seals/ gaskets have been renewed recently? Along with the plug leads and plugs, what it the cap and rotor like?

10 hours ago, dobbo said:

ANF motor was rebuilt at 108000k supposedly but what date is unknown it now has 122000km. I haven't checked rotor or cap waiting for leads to turn up sparkplugs turned up today. Wouldn't a vacuum leak make the motor idle much faster?  

Could do. I would also check the fuel pressures, my WUR was way off and needed a rebuild, was running lean, and would idle roughly, more so when warm. I got an exchange rebuilt one for around $300 from memory,, get the pressures checked first though. Do you monitor your fuel economy at all? A good indication that it may be out is "good" economy... mine gets around 20L/ 100km when pressing on now.... :)

Thanks Adam will see how it goes after fitting plugs and leads. Leads turned up today but they supplied two short leads for coil obviously supplied kit for twin dizzys and will not reach my coil will have to ring them in the morning was hoping to sort car out before I go back to work on Friday.   

Archived