996 nearly

Morpheus

Hello all,

So.. after being on the hunt on and off for about a year I am on the cusp of ownership. Verbal offer and negotiating on a few things so very close. Won't provide details yet but its a 996 from interstate.

I'm looking for advice from SA folks here. There's a few things that will probably need doing for it to pass inspection at regency that I am getting quoted up. What garage in SA would be a good source to verify the cost/ provide an alternative option for me if i wanted to just get it over here and do everything here? I have heard RSR and Buiks are good but looking for recommendations.

Once its a done deal I'll provide more details - not counting my chickens yet.

Thanks

Either shop will be your best source for information mate, as both have been in the Porsche game for many years. I'd say from experience one is a little dearer than the other so prices can vary a bit.

If the car in question is Oz delivered, It's basically just a numbers check to ensure it's not stolen or dodgy in some way (Lonsdale station is usually quieter than Regency park), yet if it's an import a full inspection is required and they will go right through it. They know what to look for, so if there are any problems just fix them, especially oil leaks. When doing the numbers check, If they spot anything not roadworthy, they won't pass it and issue you with a fix it notice or defect it. It's been done before, so make sure it's presentable and roadworthy 

Hi Morpheus.

I've only ever used Buiks for my past Pcars and they were very helpful with assisting me with my latest purchase, including pre inspection advice and help, over-revs report, ensuring it was a 'numbers-matching' car, etc.....in particular Craig was a top fella to deal with.

Thanks guys,

@LeeM yep it’s a Australian delivered car. Does have a few wear and tear items (think suspension bushes, dodgy boot latch, but of an exhaust rattle and a very minor oil leak).

Im mostly concerned with sorting the oil leak and exhaust. Would they be picky enough about the bushes?

James

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Im mostly concerned with sorting the oil leak and exhaust. Would they be picky enough about the bushes?

James

They're pretty thorough mate, yet to be sure I'd point it out to Craig and sort it out. Also ensure wheel bearings are ok too, because if it gets inspected, the inspector will check for any top to bottom movement, and they're hot on brakes and handbrake, as you will have to do a test on a rolling road. If you think 'I'll get away with that' you probably won't and it will cost you another inspection. Just budget a little extra for those unseen/unknown problems and fix them before any inspection

21 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Hello all,

So.. after being on the hunt on and off for about a year I am on the cusp of ownership. Verbal offer and negotiating on a few things so very close. Won't provide details yet but its a 996 from interstate.

I'm looking for advice from SA folks here. There's a few things that will probably need doing for it to pass inspection at regency that I am getting quoted up. What garage in SA would be a good source to verify the cost/ provide an alternative option for me if i wanted to just get it over here and do everything here? I have heard RSR and Buiks are good but looking for recommendations.

Once its a done deal I'll provide more details - not counting my chickens yet.

Thanks

Good luck with the purchase you won’t be disappointed 

On 9/13/2018 at 11:22 PM, LeeM said:

Either shop will be your best source for information mate, as both have been in the Porsche game for many years. I'd say from experience one is a little dearer than the other so prices can vary a bit.

If the car in question is Oz delivered, It's basically just a numbers check to ensure it's not stolen or dodgy in some way (Lonsdale station is usually quieter than Regency park), yet if it's an import a full inspection is required and they will go right through it. They know what to look for, so if there are any problems just fix them, especially oil leaks. When doing the numbers check, If they spot anything not roadworthy, they won't pass it and issue you with a fix it notice or defect it. It's been done before, so make sure it's presentable and roadworthy 

@LeeM from your earlier post, given its an Australian delivered car should I expect an Identity Check (Tier 2)? If this is the case I presume I don't need to book at appointment at Regency either - from what I have read anyway.

Getting a bit excited now. Car is getting serviced, bits fixed and mufflers replaced with designtek ones - hopefully all done by the end of week. With luck will see the car next week (for the first time..)!

47 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

@LeeM from your earlier post, given its an Australian delivered car should I expect an Identity Check (Tier 2)? If this is the case I presume I don't need to book at appointment at Regency either - from what I have read anyway.

Getting a bit excited now. Car is getting serviced, bits fixed and mufflers replaced with designtek ones - hopefully all done by the end of week. With luck will see the car next week (for the first time..)!

Nah, you just drive up at inspection and fill out the forms for an I.D check. I'd go to Lonsdale if it's convenient, as you'll probably wait much longer at Regency, as there is always at least 20 or 30 cars, usually dodgy Taxi drivers and car yard owners

A word of advice though. Don't tell them anything about the car if they ask, just plead ignorance and yes sir, no sir, oh really sir? Take your service reciepts with you and any other paperwork you get with the car, rego papers etc.There are a couple of Nazi's at Regency, and one of them unceccesarily cost me 2 visits (days off work) just for an I.D check because he didn't know how to look for a private plate rego number, and said my car (912 at the time) did not exist. I had to call Vic roads to sort it out, and even they said they were idiots. I missed my midday roadworthy inspection when I first went to Regency for the I.D check at 9am because of it, then happened again a couple of weeks later with the same bloke who is a right wanker.  Lonsdale is nowhere near as busy, so that would be my plan of attack

6 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Hi @Daly87 yeah.. just didn’t want to count my chickens etc. Car arrives next week and I won’t see it (I still haven’t seen it in the flesh..) until Sunday week.

Its a 1998 C2 manual coupe. Blue with tan interior. Pretty excited.

Exciting times, hope she's a beaut!

42 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Well.. it’s home. Apparently it’s filthy so I will post up better pics once I’m back in Australia and have had time to clean it up, and actually drive it!

02085BCD-FBA2-4AF7-B57E-053D9DCEDB12.jpeg

792C996C-3DA5-4FC2-9D7F-B8DA78BA1B3D.jpeg

Looks good from the photos you’ll love it I’m sure.

Archived