Sign in to follow this  
Morpheus

Not quite ownership but close

Hello all,

So.. after being on the hunt on and off for about a year I am on the cusp of ownership. Verbal offer and negotiating on a few things so very close. Won't provide details yet but its a 996 from interstate.

I'm looking for advice from SA folks here. There's a few things that will probably need doing for it to pass inspection at regency that I am getting quoted up. What garage in SA would be a good source to verify the cost/ provide an alternative option for me if i wanted to just get it over here and do everything here? I have heard RSR and Buiks are good but looking for recommendations.

Once its a done deal I'll provide more details - not counting my chickens yet.

Thanks

Either shop will be your best source for information mate, as both have been in the Porsche game for many years. I'd say from experience one is a little dearer than the other so prices can vary a bit.

If the car in question is Oz delivered, It's basically just a numbers check to ensure it's not stolen or dodgy in some way (Lonsdale station is usually quieter than Regency park), yet if it's an import a full inspection is required and they will go right through it. They know what to look for, so if there are any problems just fix them, especially oil leaks. When doing the numbers check, If they spot anything not roadworthy, they won't pass it and issue you with a fix it notice or defect it. It's been done before, so make sure it's presentable and roadworthy 

Hi Morpheus.

I've only ever used Buiks for my past Pcars and they were very helpful with assisting me with my latest purchase, including pre inspection advice and help, over-revs report, ensuring it was a 'numbers-matching' car, etc.....in particular Craig was a top fella to deal with.

Thanks guys,

@LeeM yep it’s a Australian delivered car. Does have a few wear and tear items (think suspension bushes, dodgy boot latch, but of an exhaust rattle and a very minor oil leak).

Im mostly concerned with sorting the oil leak and exhaust. Would they be picky enough about the bushes?

James

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Im mostly concerned with sorting the oil leak and exhaust. Would they be picky enough about the bushes?

James

They're pretty thorough mate, yet to be sure I'd point it out to Craig and sort it out. Also ensure wheel bearings are ok too, because if it gets inspected, the inspector will check for any top to bottom movement, and they're hot on brakes and handbrake, as you will have to do a test on a rolling road. If you think 'I'll get away with that' you probably won't and it will cost you another inspection. Just budget a little extra for those unseen/unknown problems and fix them before any inspection

21 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Hello all,

So.. after being on the hunt on and off for about a year I am on the cusp of ownership. Verbal offer and negotiating on a few things so very close. Won't provide details yet but its a 996 from interstate.

I'm looking for advice from SA folks here. There's a few things that will probably need doing for it to pass inspection at regency that I am getting quoted up. What garage in SA would be a good source to verify the cost/ provide an alternative option for me if i wanted to just get it over here and do everything here? I have heard RSR and Buiks are good but looking for recommendations.

Once its a done deal I'll provide more details - not counting my chickens yet.

Thanks

Good luck with the purchase you won’t be disappointed 

@LeeM thanks! That’s good advice. From the sounds of it I’m probably best served getting a second inspection by someone over here regardless.

@MARTY cheers! Fingers crossed, and really looking forward to it. 

I'm insured through Porsche Insurance... Recommend you do a search, as this topic has come up only recently.

Sounds positive. Purchase was successful?