Texting whilst driving

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish I could have taken a photo of a P plater girl on Monday, though I'd be a hypocrite doing that. She was texting with both hands driving with her knees doing 50 in the right lane and I had to pass her in the left ?

Saw a copper emergency brake coupla weeks ago as he was checking his ondash computer thingy. That woulda been a hard one to explain to the boss ?

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Wish I could have taken a photo of a P plater girl on Monday, though I'd be a hypocrite doing that. She was texting with both hands driving with her knees doing 50 in the right lane and I had to pass her in the left ?

Saw a copper emergency brake coupla weeks ago as he was checking his ondash computer thingy. That woulda been a hard one to explain to the boss ?

If I see them I just lay on the horn, got a few dirty looks and a few birds, but I have thick skin and couldn’t care less.

Just driving back from a docs appt today on the Pacific Hwy near Taree, in the left lane at the speed limit, with a P plater speeding up behind and in the right lane, cut me off from the right across both lanes and drifts into the service lane, then cuts back across in front of me, phone in his hand oblivious to the traffic, I brake hard and honk horn, he uses other hand to give me the finger and slams on brakes aggressively giving me the bird swerves into the path of another car back over into to the right lane!!! Then takes off.

no cops in sight

took his rego and car details called local station, with a response, we'll keep an eye out

lucky no collisions and no one hurt, but it's just a matter of time.

I watched a guy in a Ford Ranger speeding (doing at least 80 in a 50 zone) in front of me the other day, whilst I was on my Vespa.
He then proceeded to go through a red light, only to get stuck in traffic just past the light.

Then about 300m down the road, a pedestrian was about to cross a zebra crossing and instead of stopping for said pedestrian, the guy in the Ranger sped through, almost collecting the poor pedestrian. Mr Ranger then turns left and floors it through a small gap amongst pedestrians that were crossing. Of course, only to be stuck in traffic again.

This time, I pulled up next to him to get a look at the muppet and saw a guy, completely engrossed in his mobile phone.  I just sat there staring at him until he looked up and then shook my head at him. He wound down his window and said "WHAT?"  I said, "not only you drive like a d-head, but you're also on your phone". He said "when did I drive like a d-head?" I pointed out the red light, the pedestrian he almost ran over, the fail to give way to pedestrians crossing and now on the phone sending messages.  He was obviously shocked that I had seen all this. His only response was "thanks", closed his window and sped off again.

If you're wondering why I bothered to stick my nose in, it was the day after I heard that this young boy died. Doing nothing wrong - crossing the light on the green.
His parents commented to the media that "if you see people on their phone whilst they are in their car, you should say something" alluding to the fact that the kid was hit due to the driver going through a red and being distracted by their phone.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-23/melbourne-family-plead-road-safety-jack-power-death-blackburn/10157004

Dont look at your phone while you are driving. Nothing is that important.

?? THANKS ??

Driving examinations for licensing a driver should include lots more than it does. One for sure is a course that includes skid pan and pop ups whilst talking and txting so you experience FIRST HAND what your actual capabilities are. 

A test for common sense would rule out heaps of fools. What percentage do you reckon have it that currently drive?

If it's not curbed by the public government will find a way to provide another income stream. Who wants a world with more surveillance?

48 minutes ago, firstone said:

?? THANKS ??

Driving examinations for licensing a driver should include lots more than it does. One for sure is a course that includes skid pan and pop ups whilst talking and txting so you experience FIRST HAND what your actual capabilities are. 

A test for common sense would rule out heaps of fools. What percentage do you reckon have it that currently drive?

If it's not curbed by the public government will find a way to provide another income stream. Who wants a world with more surveillance?

Absolutely!

Driver education is the only way to help save lives. Fines alone don't work and are just revenue streams, as demonstrated by the decades of increasing road, drink driving, speed and traffic fines, where has it got us? Govt gets addicted to the income, little if nothing changes on our roads. Just like simple rules such as keep left unless overtaking.

Threads like these are a good start, and help spread awareness. But it's got to penetrate to decision makers.

We have no real driver ed in this country unlike the US. The learner driver needs real scenarios to practice and learn, in controlled off road environments as well as on road driver training. Let them experience an out of control situation, in a controlled environment, with a teacher, in a car. Until people truly see the impact of their actions unfortunately behaviour doesn't change.

It certainly doesn't change by being told to do the right thing, or just fining bad behaviour.

Adelaide cops have been walking up to cars at traffic lights and busting people on their phones. 

As I've mentioned before elsewhere, I was guilty of it until I nearly had a big one (or was that perving? Can't remember exactly) and now have my phone out of reach and bought a Bluetooth thingy that I touch on the dash to answer and it works through the stereo speakers

It's absolutely epidemic in Sydney.  I rarely drive to the city without seeing at least one person texting while driving.  This morning I was watching the guy behind me and just praying he wouldn't slam into the back of my car.  He literally texted his way across the entire Harbour Bridge with only 2-3 quick glances up to check on traffic!

My ML was written off earlier this year by some tool driving into the front of me while on his phone. My wife saw him as did a witness, he even told me as much when we got out.

Later changed his story (to he was unsure of the road rules!!) and witness recanted. Cops could not charge him with the phone offence just driving with undue care and attention!

Thankfully was only low speed!

Stupid is everywhere....

Back in the early days of mobiles, about 1993, my wife and daughter were involved in a very bad accident, caused by a dude talking on his phone.  He had his daughter in the car as well.   All 4 people suffered quite serious injuries.  Don't use your phone while driving.

I had a kid run into my new Merc a few years ago.  Slammed straight into the back of it whilst I was doing a right hand turn.  No screech of brakes just BANG.  Next thing I know is I have rolled across the intersection and mounted the kerb on the other side of the road and I can smell airbag residue and people are knocking on my window saying are you all right.

Kid said he was looking at his heater controls.  Yeah I bet he was.  Probably texting his mates to see what was on that night.  His grandmothers Mazda was totalled and I had $26000 damage to the new car which no longer felt so new.  

Decided to trade it and bought a new one.  Two months in, sitting in Melbourne waiting for the lights to go green and I see a taxi heading my way with the guy punching info into his screen.  I had time to start preparing this time as I watched him run straight into the back of the new one.   

I HATE PEOPLE ON THEIR PHONES WHILST DRIVING. 

My view $5000 fine and smash the phone and SIM with a hammer there on the spot in front of them.  That should be the law.  If they don't pay the fine take their car.  Too many people dying because of this practice.

The police should implement a "deputised phone police" system, which pays ordinary people like you and me to report these morons and they get a fine in the mail.  We would go through a registration and checking process and the obligation on our part is that we would be prepared to testify in court if the notice is challenged.  Spotters Fee of $100 for every report. and fine of $5000 to the moron.  It would solve the problem.  I would sign up today.  I could make $1000 a day for the first few weeks

5 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Yep sounds good Phil. What about people eating souvlakis and adjusting their frapuccinos?

?? 

Think I posted ages ago about the woman eating out of a bowl with a spoon or fork and drinking her coffee whilst on Facebook and holding up traffic under the speed limit. Till I passed her, got in front and jammed on the brakes for her to emergency brake sending her shit everywhere ?? That'll learn ya sweetheart! 

I am a prick and I know it ?? 

Archived