Walter's view??

ANF

I sort of get what he is saying.

Now assuming this is not fake news I agree that electric cars will never be more than a city car (unless a major advancement in battery capacity comes about eg as much range as a normal car).

Plus the problem of a quick recharge not being available doesn't help.

I also agree with him re the fuel cell technology. To me that seems to be a more viable alternative. 

I'm not totally against EV's, I just don't think that ANY manufacturer should just be concentrating on EV's 

Not only that at the moment battery life is only a few years. Be stuffed if I want to spend $10k plus every few years just to replace the batteries.

Just my 2c worth.

1 hour ago, ANF said:

One of the biggest impacts that has not been discussed by anybody is where do all the used batteries go?

And the replacement cost of batteries will most likely make most cars redundant come replacement time.....

Exactly

Because they don't care and no one is up to challenging that point. Except maybe Walter.

The political machine behind the move to electric cars only cares about the revenue diverted to electricity consumption, away from oil.

Same for replacement batteries. Walters point on lack of raw materials will hopefully be the one thing that will limit electric cars to cities.

5 hours ago, PTINS said:

Exactly

Because they don't care and no one is up to challenging that point. Except maybe Walter.

The political machine behind the move to electric cars only cares about the revenue diverted to electricity consumption, away from oil

Bravo ?????

6 hours ago, ANF said:

One of the biggest impacts that has not been discussed by anybody is where do all the used batteries go?

And the replacement cost of batteries will most likely make most cars redundant come replacement time.....

we launch the batteries and Elon Musk to Mars ............:Chuckle2:

34 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Where will all the used ICE cars go? Many are built much better than in days gone by and it would be silly to dump them. There are a helluva lot of them to dispose of!
And mosr aren't the slightest bit collectable.

Many if not all new Ice cars are fully recyclable ,,isnt that part of the manufacturing process these days ..

1 hour ago, ANF said:

What did the Martians do to you to deserve that :rolleyes:

Some one has to put up with Elon.......he wants to go there so badly .............I say lets send him 

one way ticket :)

2 hours ago, Raven said:

we launch the batteries and Elon Musk to Mars ............:Chuckle2:

Maybe Elon will work out some novel way to use the batteries as Rocket Fuel, for his virgin (one way) flight to Mars! They seem to burn quite well in his cars!   ???????

30 minutes ago, Raven said:

Many if not all new Ice cars are fully recyclable ,,isnt that part of the manufacturing process these days ..

Lots of our so called recyclables are in limbo land.
What happens to the fake leather upholstery etc? Does the wiring go to African kiddies to be burnt?
Maybe recyclable "in theory" but in practise? Leave it to the war on waste guy to investigate.

That is the thing like you said do these cars that are manufactured to be recycled actually get recycled ...?

Honestly I dont now but would like to think that it happens ..

I know  about ten years ago I was having issues getting my self a paddock basher for the farm ,,,reason was at that time junkers and old cars either running or not were worth $1000 a car as part of some government recycling initiative scheme ,,,,Auto wreakers and scrape yards were cashing in big time on the scheme ,not sure if this is still the case but it was a good incentive to motivate people to get the wreaks of the front law ...

These are the sort of incentive governments need to be more pro active with ,,,,,,,,,,make it financially viable and this will  encourage people to participate ...

If you slug people in the back pocket for doing things for the environment they become disgruntled and anti green ..

" they have yet to decide how to treat Röhrl, who they have long treated as family."  Treat him like every other crazy old uncle in the family, give him a comfy chair, another drink and enjoy the show.

Right or wrong, well done to Walter for speaking his mind and not succumbing to the populist mantra. 

All the auto makers are developing EV's so we need to find ways to make them sustainable on both an environmental and financial level.  Instead of just bashing the concept, let's encourage some true innovation to make it work.

(btw I work for GM :ph34r:)

Archived